RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Change Running Light Bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 03:20 PM
deancox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Running Light Bulb?

My wife's 2013 RX 350's passenger side driving light is out. How do I access the bulb to change it. Do I have to remove the bumper cover.....I hope not!
Old 02-04-15, 03:28 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, deancox. Check the DIY section of the owners manual for instructions on how to change the bulb. There's also a specification page listing all the bulb sizes somewhere in there too. Some dealers will change them for free. That's another option for you. Good luck.
Old 02-04-15, 08:38 PM
Hiroslamme
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to remove all the black plastic panels in the engine bay to access the all the bulbs. They are the push pin type, fairly easy to remove, just a lot. The driving lights are 9005.
Old 02-05-15, 07:13 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

deancox - I don't think it's the bulb. It's too soon for that. Our 2011 RX uses low voltage to the high beam bulb for daytime running lights which you call driving lights. Test the bulb by turning on the high beams. If you have a high beam on the passenger side, the bulb is good. I would take it to the dealer for a possible free diagnosis and possibly a free fix. My DIY section of the owners manual calls for moving the washer fluid filler opening for access to the daytime running light bulb. Easy enough. Also, be careful not to touch the bulbs so as to leave fingerprints. If you have High Intensity Discharge bulbs, there is a discharge procedure to prevent shock, I think. And those push-pin fasteners that hold the engine covers on tend to roll away and they have prongs that may break. I bought some spares. Those pins come out by pushing IN first, then pop out. Only the front engine cover on the passenger side needs to come off, not all of them. Good luck.

Last edited by raylor4; 02-05-15 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-01-15, 08:25 AM
deancox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raylor4
deancox - I don't think it's the bulb. It's too soon for that. Our 2011 RX uses low voltage to the high beam bulb for daytime running lights which you call driving lights. Test the bulb by turning on the high beams. If you have a high beam on the passenger side, the bulb is good. I would take it to the dealer for a possible free diagnosis and possibly a free fix. My DIY section of the owners manual calls for moving the washer fluid filler opening for access to the daytime running light bulb. Easy enough. Also, be careful not to touch the bulbs so as to leave fingerprints. If you have High Intensity Discharge bulbs, there is a discharge procedure to prevent shock, I think. And those push-pin fasteners that hold the engine covers on tend to roll away and they have prongs that may break. I bought some spares. Those pins come out by pushing IN first, then pop out. Only the front engine cover on the passenger side needs to come off, not all of them. Good luck.
Raylor4: Thanks for this. The low and high beams work fine, but the light I am referring to is not in the headlight group of lights. I am talking about the two light that are down in the lower bumper skirt section, one on either side. The passenger side bulb is out. The are supposed to come on when the headlights are activated.
Old 03-01-15, 09:55 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Those are the fog lights but I've not changed one. If you PM Anita, she's done it and can send you a walk through.
Originally Posted by deancox
Raylor4: Thanks for this. The low and high beams work fine, but the light I am referring to is not in the headlight group of lights. I am talking about the two light that are down in the lower bumper skirt section, one on either side. The passenger side bulb is out. The are supposed to come on when the headlights are activated.
Old 03-02-15, 09:56 PM
deancox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Those are the fog lights but I've not changed one. If you PM Anita, she's done it and can send you a walk through.
Thanks Jim, There are a tone of Anitas on this forum, can you give me a little more info?
Old 03-02-15, 10:35 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deancox
Thanks Jim, There are a tone of Anitas on this forum, can you give me a little more info?
Anita
Old 03-03-15, 03:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with changing out the fog lights on an RX with the spindle grill. You can try removing the engine covers first to see if you can reach down. Or you may need to go from underneath. But the dealer is probably the best place to start since you're under warranty. I've had a few bulbs changed by them, no charge. The fog light shouldn't go out that soon.
Old 03-03-15, 01:35 PM
deancox
Driver School Candidate

The dealer says bulb replacement is not under warranty. I will try to figure it out. going from the engine bay does not seem like a practical solution, there must be a way in from the fender well or from underneath the bumper. the light is just 5-6 inches up from the bottom of the bumper trim.
Old 03-03-15, 02:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Too bad about the dealer not wanting to replace the bulb. I know it was possible to reach the fog light from the top in pre-spindle RX350s using the space in front of the engine. The wheel well is good if there's no easy access underneath. I've had to do that a few times since there's no room in front of the engine on the 450h. At least the bad bulb is on the passenger side. The trans cooler might be in the way if your 350 has the tow package. That's not easy or fun to get around. And again, the bulb size is listed in the Specifications section of the owners manual. Maybe somebody who has changed theirs can chime in. Good luck.
Old 03-03-15, 02:31 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a little bit tight but possible to replace the foglight from the top of the engine bay. I swapped out the Halogen fog lights with HID on my wife 2013 RX350 with out removing anything. The foglight sits midway and kinda in the corner. Good luck.