RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2014 RX 350 F-Sport Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 08:21 AM
tvollaro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash & Steering Wheel Air Bag Pics

Folks - here are a few pics of the defective dash pad and steering wheel air bag pad on my 2014 RX F-Sport.

Also starting to get backlash from the trans when downshifting into lower gears. I find myself using the paddle shifters more and more. Hate the trans in this vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 RX 350 F-Sport Issues-fsportsw.jpg   2014 RX 350 F-Sport Issues-fsportdash.jpg  
Old 03-14-15, 10:49 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

In my humble opinion, with respect to the cosmetic issues, you are a perfectionist. I mean no offense and offer that as a compliment and not a slap in any way. I am the same way so I do understand how you must feel. (They say alcoholics have to admit it before they can start to heal - maybe car people are the same way. LOL). Having just picked up an ES with a black interior, I hate the fact that every little bump and speck of dust shows up on black. I don't have the f-sport and the biggest factor was the interior which just isn't my taste and drives someone as **** as me crazy (yes I already regret the ES interior). I just went out and shined a flashlight from the side on my standard RX 350 dash and steering wheel so that it would highlight any indentations, and it shows the same outlines. I had actually never noticed it on my medium brownish dash (Parchment interior).

Of course, I cannot comment on the tranny issues and have never noticed the shaking mirrors or hood but many have commented that they can see the hood flexing at highway speeds. Perhaps they are taller and sit higher, giving them a different perspective on the hood. I am 5'7".

Sorry to hear you aren't enjoying the car.
Old 03-14-15, 01:43 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default In Emphatic Empathy...

...on the roof of one of my favorite cars, during one of my first hands-on lovemaking (car wash) I noticed what my salesman and I agreed was dirt underneath the paint. Like the poster above, I was heartsickened by the "freckle" on the otherwise baby fresh skin of my new ride.

"No Problem, we'll have it repainted" was the offer. It was repainted flawlessly and quickly.

I wish I had merely accepted and loved that little "personality trait" blemish, since for the last half-dozen years of the fourteen years that I drove the car the non-factory paint looked like a mosaic of the parched and cracked Bonneville Salt Flats.

The cure was, certainly, far worse than the disease.

My good friend at the time of the repainting offered this analogy: "...now that you've got your roof painted, all you need next is to deal with the painter's footprints on your hood...". How prophetic his analysis turned out to be!
Old 03-14-15, 04:55 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can definitely see it. It's not present on my car and shouldn't be on any car. Take the car to the dealer - definitely a defect in my view
Old 03-15-15, 05:54 AM
adgvpm
Driver School Candidate

I also have all the issues on my 2014 RX350 that you have described:
- Small mark/indentation on my steering wheel air bag cover; at first I thought it was just dirt or make-up, but it didn't go away after sveral attempts to "clean" it. Its not significant, so I'm not too concerned.
- Hood does vibrate at highway speeds; you can see the center part of the hood just in front of the wiper blades vibrate some at higher speeds. Again, not significant enough to warrant a change that probably will not do anything to alter that characteristic.
- Drivers side mirror "shimmies" at highway speeds. I had this exact same problem on my '99 RX300 and now again on the 2014 RX - why can't Lexus make a mirror that doesn't vibrate? I took it into the dealer last week for the 15K service and mentioned the problem. The technician's response - it's known problem with the RX350 and lexus doesn't have a fix?!

I like the car and enjoy driving it, but my concern with all these small issues along with some squeaks and rattles is that this car does not appear to be as structural sound/stiff as it should be for a more modern car. I understand that the third generation goes back to 2010, but I have even older German made automobiles that are structurally much tighter than this Lexus.
Old 03-15-15, 11:46 AM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adgvpm
I also have all the issues on my 2014 RX350 that you have described:
- Small mark/indentation on my steering wheel air bag cover; at first I thought it was just dirt or make-up, but it didn't go away after sveral attempts to "clean" it. Its not significant, so I'm not too concerned.
- Hood does vibrate at highway speeds; you can see the center part of the hood just in front of the wiper blades vibrate some at higher speeds. Again, not significant enough to warrant a change that probably will not do anything to alter that characteristic.
- Drivers side mirror "shimmies" at highway speeds. I had this exact same problem on my '99 RX300 and now again on the 2014 RX - why can't Lexus make a mirror that doesn't vibrate? I took it into the dealer last week for the 15K service and mentioned the problem. The technician's response - it's known problem with the RX350 and lexus doesn't have a fix?!

I like the car and enjoy driving it, but my concern with all these small issues along with some squeaks and rattles is that this car does not appear to be as structural sound/stiff as it should be for a more modern car. I understand that the third generation goes back to 2010, but I have even older German made automobiles that are structurally much tighter than this Lexus.
Sorry to the folks with these problems

My '10 RX has none of what you are describing;

Could this be limited to F sports produced in that timeframe? '14's in general?

It would bother me for sure if a $50k luxury vehicle of mine was doing/ had these blemishes this early on.
Old 03-15-15, 06:10 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any of the indentations in the steering wheel or dash pad. And I don'thave the mirror or hood issues. The transmission can be a real pain though, but using the paddle shifters fixes it for the most part. The fit and finish issues may be a model year thing....mine is a 2013

Regarding the suspension issue I mentioned before, I decided it was too expensive to get rid of the car at this point so I bit the bullet and got new wheels and tires. The wheels are still 19s but 8.5 inches wide. For tires I went with 245/55r19s- Pirelli scorpion verde all season plus, which is an h rated tire. It gave me a 4% increase in sidewall height, which isn't much but does help. And the h rating makes it handle the bumps better. Plus it is wider so it still handles great. Overall, a significant improvement in the ride harshness. Plus I like the look of the different wheels better too.
Old 03-16-15, 02:26 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on another note, I called my dealer today to inquire about any ECU refreshes to help the transmission shift points. The service manager said that a refresh would help reset the shift points, and also apparently learn where you like the car to shift if you use the paddle shifters/manual mode for a few weeks afterwards. I hadn't heard about the car "learning" your preferences, but apparently it can and does. The service manager stated that he drives a new IS and if you drove his car and then drove a new one off the lot, the transmissions would behave very differently, primarily because he tends to drive his more aggressively and has since the beginning. Not sure how true any of this is, but I am going to try it and see how it goes.
Old 03-19-15, 04:12 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mirrors glass shaking. Same here. Not the mirror CASE, but the glass itself. Only when driving over rough terrain and bumps, but they do shake.

Indentations in the steering wheel or dash pad. They shouldn't be visible, but they are outlines of the airbag compartment. Nothing you can do.

Dumb 8-speed. Well ... they should use the best 8 speed in the world, which the ZF 8HP. It's the best by far. Lots of brands use it, BMW has it, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, even Chrysler. Having had it in two cars so far, I can say it's the best tranny I ever had. It's always on top of the situation and it changes lightning fast when needed.

I think the biggest minus that the Japs auto producers have in my book is the inconsistency: half of the things they do are great, a quarter are okay, and the last quarter boggles the mind.
Old 03-19-15, 04:50 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I went out and specifically checked my RX450h and can't see similar outlines inside my garage or out in the morning sun, but I can see them in just a specific direction when my MBZ is in the garage and I look close enough. It would seem there is some tolerance that has to be balanced allowing the airbag to "blow through" the area when necessary, but not be as visible most of the time. I know in my former BMW 3-Series "the outline" on the passenger side was much more apparent than it is in either my Lexi or MBZ in all conditions.

Originally Posted by metrathon
...Dumb 8-speed. Well ... they should use the best 8 speed in the world, which the ZF 8HP. It's the best by far. Lots of brands use it, BMW has it, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, even Chrysler. Having had it in two cars so far, I can say it's the best tranny I ever had. It's always on top of the situation and it changes lightning fast when needed.

I think the biggest minus that the Japs auto producers have in my book is the inconsistency: half of the things they do are great, a quarter are okay, and the last quarter boggles the mind.
As for 8-speeds, well, one can have that if they elect to purchase an RX F-Sport since it was introduced. It's a differentiation point in the present RX line. Personally, I grown to L-O-V-E the CVT I've had since 2005 in my former RX400h and present RX450h -- and would like to have nothing but that in the future if I could. IMHO, it's smoother than any 6 or 8-speed, and was one of the reasons I purchased a RX450h to replace my RX400h, vs even considering a RX350 when the time came.
Old 03-19-15, 05:00 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=BertL;8961650
As for 8-speeds, well, one can have that if they elect to purchase an RX F-Sport since it was introduced. It's a differentiation point in the present RX line. Personally, I grown to L-O-V-E the CVT I've had since 2005 in my former RX400h and present RX450h -- and would like to have nothing but that in the future if I could. IMHO, it's smoother than any 6 or 8-speed, and was one of the reasons I purchased a RX450h to replace my RX400h, vs even considering a RX350 when the time came. [/QUOTE]

Haha, that's so funny. I HATE the CVTs, I have one in my Audi. It takes the soul out of a good engine. There's no debate, they are efficient and very smooth. But they are also super boring and the biggest turn-off when you feel like having fun on the twisties.

I guess it comes down to what car they are installed on. On a luxo-boat like RX or LS that has no pretention whatsoever to be sporty, they work just fine. Butter smooth. But on a car that has even the slightest inclination for a sportier ride, it totally kills the fun.

I heard the latest CVTs from Honda and Subaru are doing a pretty good job of simulating gear changes. But then, it beats the purpose of a CVT that's supposed to stay in the power band all the time. I dunno, call my decrepit, but I I just stay away from them
Old 03-19-15, 05:12 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
Haha, that's so funny. I HATE the CVTs, I have one in my Audi. It takes the soul out of a good engine. There's no debate, they are efficient and very smooth. But they are also super boring and the biggest turn-off when you feel like having fun on the twisties.

I guess it comes down to what car they are installed on. On a luxo-boat like RX or LS that has no pretention whatsoever to be sporty, they work just fine. Butter smooth. But on a car that has even the slightest inclination for a sportier ride, it totally kills the fun.

I heard the latest CVTs from Honda and Subaru are doing a pretty good job of simulating gear changes. But then, it beats the purpose of a CVT that's supposed to stay in the power band all the time. I dunno, call my decrepit, but I I just stay away from them
Yes, I agree. It's why I have my RX with all its amenities and CVT for a super smooth daily driver and one that can haul guests in relative luxury upon occassion, and then my hardtop convertible for the last 13+ years on the other side of my garage for when I need to practice my detailing skills, or better yet, reduce my mid-life crisis concerns and just enjoy a beautiful Southern California day with the top down driving along the coast.
Old 03-19-15, 05:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Well, the 450h does get an extra 25 HP over the 350 to play with. And there's nothing like seamless launch. Definitely not for everyone, just like the F-Sport.
Old 03-19-15, 05:59 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default And the quiet cold-morning launches...

...wherein the engine starts instantly and stays at low RPM as I start down the street in what has been the coldest February on record here in Michigan - makes me almost forget how my previous cars seemed to over-rev as they struggled to light-off the catalytic converter for the first mile.

I sure like not having the transmission nudge me with a downshift at every stoplight, as has been my experience with normal automatic transmissions.

I don't know what the magazine experts find objectionable with the brakes on these RXh's - as mine is absolutely predictable, comfortable, and never telegraph me when they switch over to hydraulic-only.

Again, not agreeing with the experts' objection of lack of road-feel in the steering, i for one wish that there was more power assist and less road-feel, since I'd prefer to turn by using my index finger as a pivot (like the old 1960's Chryslers) - or at least be able to more easily spin the steering wheel during one-handed backing up.

And like one of those comments above, I too prefer the smoothness of the eCVT - and coming from a mechanical transmission supplier, that's quite a radical change in preference.
Old 03-23-15, 11:54 AM
tvollaro
Driver School Candidate

To reply to Viperdoc's last reply, when the Lexus rep looked at my vehicle he too mentioned that the 8 speed trans would "learn" my driving/shifting habits. When I asked him how that was accomplished he could not provide an answer. I also asked the local dealer service director about any ECU updates and he said there weren't any. I will have to suffer 2 more years with this vehicle. Then I will go to BMW. My 15 year old 540i MSport at least gives me pleasure when I drive it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2014 RX 350 F-Sport Issues