Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Two Annoying Issues In My RX 350

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-15, 12:52 PM   #1
nastron
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 7
Exclamation Two Annoying Issues In My RX 350

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this awesome forum. #excited

Anyway, I purchased a certified pre-owned 2012 Lexus RX 350 and I have two annoying issues: one is a weird sort of a buzzing noise that comes out as soon as I press or release the brake pedal, or sometimes happens randomly (similar to the noise that I found in this video
for a 2006 Toyota Prius from second 0:04 to 0:06 and this one also
from second 0:03 to 0:04, 0:07 - 0:08, and 0:17 - 0:19). Could it be the actuator or booster? I let the dealer hear the noise and they said that it is actually the actuator and this noise is normal! The other issue is a cabin fan screeching/squeaking noise (A/C fan). I can hear this noise as soon as I turn it on (especially at low speeds and it doesn't matter if A/C is on or off). Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Sam
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
nastron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 05:06 AM   #2
Cruiter
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Cruiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 2,812
Default

Sam, 1st welcome to the forum.
2nd, Listening to the Prius I didn't hear anything unusual. Maybe a video inside your RX350 would be more enlightening.
__________________
Jim Myers

2010RX 450h is my Daily Driver
2014 Stingray keeps my heart rate up Jim's RX450h photos http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...er-albums.html
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 06:50 AM   #3
nastron
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 7
Smile Thanks Jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
Sam, 1st welcome to the forum.
2nd, Listening to the Prius I didn't hear anything unusual. Maybe a video inside your RX350 would be more enlightening.
Thanks Jim! I'll try to shoot a video of those noises today after work. And in that Prius video, if you listen carefully, the buzzing noise starts at second 0:04 and ends at second 0:06 (sounds like a phone vibrating or something getting scratched).

-Sam

Last edited by nastron; 02-12-15 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Adding an extra explanation of how the noise sounds.
nastron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 07:05 AM   #4
Cruiter
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Cruiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 2,812
Default

Sam, not trying to discredit your account of them but it's probably something you should see a dealer 1st with and let them hear the noise rather than try to get a diagnosis on the forum. We have a great membership that can offer a lot of suggestions but on something as vague as this you have to understand we're a form of social media and nothing official. But if you do, please come back with the results.

Now it's possible someone here has heard the same noises on theirs and will offer their view of it. I've not heard them before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastron View Post
Thanks Jim! I'll try to shoot a video of those noises today after work. And in that Prius video, if you listen carefully, the buzzing noise starts at second 0:04 and ends at second 0:06 (sounds like a phone vibrating or something getting scratched).

-Sam
__________________
Jim Myers

2010RX 450h is my Daily Driver
2014 Stingray keeps my heart rate up Jim's RX450h photos http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...er-albums.html
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 08:57 AM   #5
nastron
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
Sam, not trying to discredit your account of them but it's probably something you should see a dealer 1st with and let them hear the noise rather than try to get a diagnosis on the forum. We have a great membership that can offer a lot of suggestions but on something as vague as this you have to understand we're a form of social media and nothing official. But if you do, please come back with the results.

Now it's possible someone here has heard the same noises on theirs and will offer their view of it. I've not heard them before.
I totally understand. And exactly as you mentioned, I was hoping to hear from someone who had a previous experience with something similar. But it's definitely something that I need to see the dealer about.

Thanks Jim!

Sam
nastron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 11:14 AM   #6
Cruiter
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Cruiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 2,812
Default

Do you think this http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-t...z-problem.html is what you're experiencing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastron View Post
I totally understand. And exactly as you mentioned, I was hoping to hear from someone who had a previous experience with something similar. But it's definitely something that I need to see the dealer about.

Thanks Jim!

Sam
__________________
Jim Myers

2010RX 450h is my Daily Driver
2014 Stingray keeps my heart rate up Jim's RX450h photos http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...er-albums.html
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 11:23 AM   #7
nastron
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
Do you think this http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-t...z-problem.html is what you're experiencing?
OMG! I think that is the exact same problem I'm having!! I just can't believe my dealer said that it is "normal"!

Thanks Jim!

Sam
nastron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 07:59 AM   #8
PR FIEBRU
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
PR FIEBRU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 611
Default

That sounds annoying. I just purchased a CPO 2010 RX and it also has an annoying sound. Its not quite the sound you are having but its a rattle that comes from steering wheel. I made appointment to get it taken care of for next week. If you bough it CPO just take it back. It should be covered under the CPO warrantee
__________________
RX350 , MKIV 6 sp, Corolla S .
PR FIEBRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 08:59 AM   #9
nastron
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU View Post
That sounds annoying. I just purchased a CPO 2010 RX and it also has an annoying sound. Its not quite the sound you are having but its a rattle that comes from steering wheel. I made appointment to get it taken care of for next week. If you bough it CPO just take it back. It should be covered under the CPO warrantee
The rattle you're hearing is probably not normal and good thing that you're taking it to your dealer. I sent an email yesterday to Lexus corporate about the noises that I hear in the car, I'll see how they address those noises. But, I'll be definitely taking the car to the dealer, probably during my next oil change.

Keep us posted on your issue PR FIEBRU and I'll definitely keep you guys posted when I get a response from Lexus.

Regards,

Sam
nastron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 12:27 PM   #10
Clutchless
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 346
Default

PR Fiebru - Look at the thread on the brake booster check valve rattle. It is listed partway down the first page. That is a likely source of your noise.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-t...z-problem.html
__________________
2010 RX350 - AWD, Nav, Tow Package - H&R wheel spacers, Curt Hitch, Extra Sound Deadening, 37,000
2011 HS250h Premium, 27,000
Clutchless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 07:39 PM   #11
Wht95scort
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nj
Posts: 165
Default

Pr- your issue is your steering column needs to be replaced.

OP your issue could be your brake booster check valve or loose header heat shield.
Wht95scort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 06:44 PM   #12
PR FIEBRU
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
PR FIEBRU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 611
Default

Wht95scort and Clutchless. If it wasn't 10 degrees here in NYC and that I paid for a Certified Vehicle, I would get under dashboard and most likely fix the rattle.
I will leave it up to the dealer to fix the issue. Whatever it is I want it fixed. Reason I purchased a Certified vehicle is so that i don't have to mess with it much. Im getting a bit tired of messing and customizing cars. I want to enjoy luxuries of a nice ride that functions as it should from factory.

I have to admit, lexus corporate is very attentive to their customers. Lexus of manhattan sold me the car with dry rotted tires. They refused to change them. I contacted lexus corporateand they authorized tires to be replaced .

One of the mechanics at lexus dealer told me its a common issue with the RX. They know what the problem is but they avoid it unless you bring it up.

Ill keep you guys posted. Appointment for the 17 of Feb. I called in advance to get a loaner. I don't want to sit there all day. Plus is free.
__________________
RX350 , MKIV 6 sp, Corolla S .
PR FIEBRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 03:38 PM   #13
PR FIEBRU
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
PR FIEBRU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 611
Default

So I have an update!!
This afternoon I took her to dealer. The mechanic immediately noticed the rattle and knew what he had to fix. I left her at dealer and took a loaner. I received a call from Mechanic and he stated the problem is the steering column assembly. Like wht95 stated.

Because it is a certified pre owned vehicle this condition is covered. But.......... They are not going to cover it for me.
Reason they are not its because Lexus of manhattan sold me vehicle with the condition. So its a pre existing condition that should be taken care by lexus of manhattan not lexus care which covers any issues after purchase.

I am now taking it up with lexus corporate and they need to figure out who is going to take care of this. I looked up the part and its a 2600 dollar part. That does not even include labor

Ill keep you guys posted on results. For now I have a loaner. I hope they authorize fix before I return it. Tomorrow i shall receive a call from lexus corporate.
__________________
RX350 , MKIV 6 sp, Corolla S .
PR FIEBRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-15, 12:19 PM   #14
nastron
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU View Post
So I have an update!!
This afternoon I took her to dealer. The mechanic immediately noticed the rattle and knew what he had to fix. I left her at dealer and took a loaner. I received a call from Mechanic and he stated the problem is the steering column assembly. Like wht95 stated.

Because it is a certified pre owned vehicle this condition is covered. But.......... They are not going to cover it for me.
Reason they are not its because Lexus of manhattan sold me vehicle with the condition. So its a pre existing condition that should be taken care by lexus of manhattan not lexus care which covers any issues after purchase.

I am now taking it up with lexus corporate and they need to figure out who is going to take care of this. I looked up the part and its a 2600 dollar part. That does not even include labor

Ill keep you guys posted on results. For now I have a loaner. I hope they authorize fix before I return it. Tomorrow i shall receive a call from lexus corporate.
Oh wow! What a situation! Good luck to you! Hope they authorize a fix for you soon. I too BTW called the dealer to set up a loaner and so I can bring the car by them to hopefully fix those annoying noises I've bee having and hearing.

-Sam
nastron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 04:51 PM   #15
PR FIEBRU
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
PR FIEBRU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 611
Default

After speaking with Lexus Corporate, they took charge of the situation. I received a call the very next day letting me know that they are in communication with lexus of manhattan and that they will take care of bill because they should had fixed problem prior to sale of car. Lexus corporate also is getting me a refund for alignment and a navigation update.

I received the car after 5 days and the rattle is gone!!! I did not have to pay anything. I looked up the price of steering column assembly and its a 2600 part. Seems this is a condition that will happen again. The loaner that I was given was a 2015 RX350 with only 4500 miles. The rattle was worst than the one on my vehicle.

Lexus needs to recall all these steering columns and replace them for ones that don't rattle. As soon as mine starts to rattle again, I will take it back to dealer.
__________________
RX350 , MKIV 6 sp, Corolla S .
PR FIEBRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 04:51 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cabin noise not sure if it's a wheel bearing issue or not jdub20tx SC 400/300 5 03-23-15 07:21 PM
RX 350 F-Sport Hot Lap against a BMW 435i covertible corradoMR2 RX - Third Generation 8 04-28-14 09:24 PM
weird noise in the rear please help need advise driftnh IS - First Generation 1 05-19-13 07:51 AM
F-SPORT Installed IS 250 VIDEO! Rican219 Performance 38 03-12-13 10:02 AM


Tags
brake, fan, noise, rx350

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:29 PM.

Join ClubLexus

Copyright © 2000-2015 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info