RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Two Annoying Issues In My RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 12:52 PM
nastron
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Two Annoying Issues In My RX 350

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in this awesome forum. #excited

Anyway, I purchased a certified pre-owned 2012 Lexus RX 350 and I have two annoying issues: one is a weird sort of a buzzing noise that comes out as soon as I press or release the brake pedal, or sometimes happens randomly (similar to the noise that I found in this video
for a 2006 Toyota Prius from second 0:04 to 0:06 and this one also
from second 0:03 to 0:04, 0:07 - 0:08, and 0:17 - 0:19). Could it be the actuator or booster? I let the dealer hear the noise and they said that it is actually the actuator and this noise is normal! The other issue is a cabin fan screeching/squeaking noise (A/C fan). I can hear this noise as soon as I turn it on (especially at low speeds and it doesn't matter if A/C is on or off). Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Sam
Old 02-12-15, 05:06 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sam, 1st welcome to the forum.
2nd, Listening to the Prius I didn't hear anything unusual. Maybe a video inside your RX350 would be more enlightening.
Old 02-12-15, 06:50 AM
nastron
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thanks Jim!

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Sam, 1st welcome to the forum.
2nd, Listening to the Prius I didn't hear anything unusual. Maybe a video inside your RX350 would be more enlightening.
Thanks Jim! I'll try to shoot a video of those noises today after work. And in that Prius video, if you listen carefully, the buzzing noise starts at second 0:04 and ends at second 0:06 (sounds like a phone vibrating or something getting scratched).

-Sam

Last edited by nastron; 02-12-15 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Adding an extra explanation of how the noise sounds.
Old 02-12-15, 07:05 AM
Cruiter

Sam, not trying to discredit your account of them but it's probably something you should see a dealer 1st with and let them hear the noise rather than try to get a diagnosis on the forum. We have a great membership that can offer a lot of suggestions but on something as vague as this you have to understand we're a form of social media and nothing official. But if you do, please come back with the results.

Now it's possible someone here has heard the same noises on theirs and will offer their view of it. I've not heard them before.
Originally Posted by nastron
Thanks Jim! I'll try to shoot a video of those noises today after work. And in that Prius video, if you listen carefully, the buzzing noise starts at second 0:04 and ends at second 0:06 (sounds like a phone vibrating or something getting scratched).

-Sam
Old 02-12-15, 08:57 AM
nastron
Driver School Candidate

Sam, not trying to discredit your account of them but it's probably something you should see a dealer 1st with and let them hear the noise rather than try to get a diagnosis on the forum. We have a great membership that can offer a lot of suggestions but on something as vague as this you have to understand we're a form of social media and nothing official. But if you do, please come back with the results.

Now it's possible someone here has heard the same noises on theirs and will offer their view of it. I've not heard them before.
I totally understand. And exactly as you mentioned, I was hoping to hear from someone who had a previous experience with something similar. But it's definitely something that I need to see the dealer about.

Thanks Jim!

Sam
Old 02-12-15, 11:14 AM
Cruiter

Do you think this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...z-problem.html is what you're experiencing?
Originally Posted by nastron
I totally understand. And exactly as you mentioned, I was hoping to hear from someone who had a previous experience with something similar. But it's definitely something that I need to see the dealer about.

Thanks Jim!

Sam
Old 02-12-15, 11:23 AM
nastron
Driver School Candidate

Do you think this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...z-problem.html is what you're experiencing?
OMG! I think that is the exact same problem I'm having!! I just can't believe my dealer said that it is "normal"!

Thanks Jim!

Sam
Old 02-13-15, 07:59 AM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds annoying. I just purchased a CPO 2010 RX and it also has an annoying sound. Its not quite the sound you are having but its a rattle that comes from steering wheel. I made appointment to get it taken care of for next week. If you bough it CPO just take it back. It should be covered under the CPO warrantee
Old 02-13-15, 08:59 AM
nastron
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
That sounds annoying. I just purchased a CPO 2010 RX and it also has an annoying sound. Its not quite the sound you are having but its a rattle that comes from steering wheel. I made appointment to get it taken care of for next week. If you bough it CPO just take it back. It should be covered under the CPO warrantee
The rattle you're hearing is probably not normal and good thing that you're taking it to your dealer. I sent an email yesterday to Lexus corporate about the noises that I hear in the car, I'll see how they address those noises. But, I'll be definitely taking the car to the dealer, probably during my next oil change.

Keep us posted on your issue PR FIEBRU and I'll definitely keep you guys posted when I get a response from Lexus.

Regards,

Sam
Old 02-13-15, 12:27 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

PR Fiebru - Look at the thread on the brake booster check valve rattle. It is listed partway down the first page. That is a likely source of your noise.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...z-problem.html
Old 02-13-15, 07:39 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Pr- your issue is your steering column needs to be replaced.

OP your issue could be your brake booster check valve or loose header heat shield.
Old 02-14-15, 06:44 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Wht95scort and Clutchless. If it wasn't 10 degrees here in NYC and that I paid for a Certified Vehicle, I would get under dashboard and most likely fix the rattle.
I will leave it up to the dealer to fix the issue. Whatever it is I want it fixed. Reason I purchased a Certified vehicle is so that i don't have to mess with it much. Im getting a bit tired of messing and customizing cars. I want to enjoy luxuries of a nice ride that functions as it should from factory.

I have to admit, lexus corporate is very attentive to their customers. Lexus of manhattan sold me the car with dry rotted tires. They refused to change them. I contacted lexus corporateand they authorized tires to be replaced .

One of the mechanics at lexus dealer told me its a common issue with the RX. They know what the problem is but they avoid it unless you bring it up.

Ill keep you guys posted. Appointment for the 17 of Feb. I called in advance to get a loaner. I don't want to sit there all day. Plus is free.
Old 02-17-15, 03:38 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

So I have an update!!
This afternoon I took her to dealer. The mechanic immediately noticed the rattle and knew what he had to fix. I left her at dealer and took a loaner. I received a call from Mechanic and he stated the problem is the steering column assembly. Like wht95 stated.

Because it is a certified pre owned vehicle this condition is covered. But.......... They are not going to cover it for me.
Reason they are not its because Lexus of manhattan sold me vehicle with the condition. So its a pre existing condition that should be taken care by lexus of manhattan not lexus care which covers any issues after purchase.

I am now taking it up with lexus corporate and they need to figure out who is going to take care of this. I looked up the part and its a 2600 dollar part. That does not even include labor

Ill keep you guys posted on results. For now I have a loaner. I hope they authorize fix before I return it. Tomorrow i shall receive a call from lexus corporate.
Old 02-20-15, 12:19 PM
nastron
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
So I have an update!!
This afternoon I took her to dealer. The mechanic immediately noticed the rattle and knew what he had to fix. I left her at dealer and took a loaner. I received a call from Mechanic and he stated the problem is the steering column assembly. Like wht95 stated.

Because it is a certified pre owned vehicle this condition is covered. But.......... They are not going to cover it for me.
Reason they are not its because Lexus of manhattan sold me vehicle with the condition. So its a pre existing condition that should be taken care by lexus of manhattan not lexus care which covers any issues after purchase.

I am now taking it up with lexus corporate and they need to figure out who is going to take care of this. I looked up the part and its a 2600 dollar part. That does not even include labor

Ill keep you guys posted on results. For now I have a loaner. I hope they authorize fix before I return it. Tomorrow i shall receive a call from lexus corporate.
Oh wow! What a situation! Good luck to you! Hope they authorize a fix for you soon. I too BTW called the dealer to set up a loaner and so I can bring the car by them to hopefully fix those annoying noises I've bee having and hearing.

-Sam
Old 02-25-15, 04:51 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

After speaking with Lexus Corporate, they took charge of the situation. I received a call the very next day letting me know that they are in communication with lexus of manhattan and that they will take care of bill because they should had fixed problem prior to sale of car. Lexus corporate also is getting me a refund for alignment and a navigation update.

I received the car after 5 days and the rattle is gone!!! I did not have to pay anything. I looked up the price of steering column assembly and its a 2600 part. Seems this is a condition that will happen again. The loaner that I was given was a 2015 RX350 with only 4500 miles. The rattle was worst than the one on my vehicle.

Lexus needs to recall all these steering columns and replace them for ones that don't rattle. As soon as mine starts to rattle again, I will take it back to dealer.

Quick Reply: Two Annoying Issues In My RX 350