RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

spirited driving in the RX

Old 02-04-15, 07:37 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default spirited driving in the RX

just curious, does anyone drive they`re rx a little spirited at times?
Old 02-04-15, 07:45 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Please explain "spirited". Thanks, as I'm sure we all drive within legally prescribed standards.
Old 02-04-15, 08:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Only in turns and occasionally to get away from brain dead drivers.. But I tend to keep it within the limits. I think enough members here have other vehicles that fits their spirited driving needs better than the RX.
Old 02-04-15, 11:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Please explain "spirited". Thanks, as I'm sure we all drive within legally prescribed standards.
Just taking off at a light for the fun of it sort of thing
Old 02-04-15, 02:05 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, me too in the RX -- I try to remain a pretty safe and sane driver, but can be a bit heavy on the take off as I love my AWD Hybrid torque, and these long Southern California on-ramps just seem to call my name -- where I need to be up to the flow of traffic as I merge into it, right? :-)

Since 2002, I have kept a second toy in my garage -- my past SC430, 335i, and present SLK. Those are what I use when mid-life crisis moments occur, spirited driving is needed, handling a good curve with a bit of speed and terrific traction is called for, or even better 0-70mph than my RX is desired, and while a moonroof is great in my RX almost year-round, nothing is better than pushing a button, dropping the top in less than 30 seconds, putting on some good tunes, and taking a cruise down the coast for a leisurly lunch on a Southern California blue sky day with all that under my control (like I just returned from doing the past 4 hours. Eat your hearts out! Tee Hee Hee! )
Old 02-04-15, 02:25 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BertL
Yes, me too in the RX -- I try to remain a pretty safe and sane driver, but can be a bit heavy on the take off as I love my AWD Hybrid torque, and these long Southern California on-ramps just seem to call my name -- where I need to be up to the flow of traffic as I merge into it, right? :-)

Since 2002, I have kept a second toy in my garage -- my past SC430, 335i, and present SLK. Those are what I use when mid-life crisis moments occur, spirited driving is needed, handling a good curve with a bit of speed and terrific traction is called for, or even better 0-70mph than my RX is desired, and while a moonroof is great in my RX almost year-round, nothing is better than pushing a button, dropping the top in less than 30 seconds, putting on some good tunes, and taking a cruise down the coast for a leisurly lunch on a Southern California blue sky day with all that under my control (like I just returned from doing the past 4 hours. Eat your hearts out! Tee Hee Hee! )

Bert, you have my envy
Old 02-04-15, 02:37 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Most of the time no. When I do, it is very quick to be disappointing.
STi is my DD, so I can really appreciate the comfort the RX provides when I don't have to think about driving.
Old 02-04-15, 02:43 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah sure! Stick the 450h into Sport mode and away she goes.

F-Sport dampers keep things in check round the corners too! Handles pretty well all in all
Old 02-04-15, 09:38 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Ditto that...

...only edit the location to read Michigan; and SLK to read Z4.

We are blessed!
Old 02-05-15, 05:37 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah "spirited driving" and RX don't really go together very well.
I use my BMW convertible for those occasions!

Last edited by ejm3; 02-06-15 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-05-15, 05:43 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

My lovely wife likes to play with the acceleration, which I think is OK and certainly better than my CT. On a recent weekend trip to Estes Park, we came home a back way on mountain roads. I was actually quite surprised at how well the RX handled the back roads. It's no race car (my MINI was WAY more fun in the mountains), but it was composed, predictable, and stayed relatively flat. If I pushed to hard, the under steer became annoying and punished the All Season tires, but it's a 2+ ton luxury SUV! I was enjoying myself, and my wife didn't even seem to notice .... until I got carried away. Then I got "the look" and collected myself.
Old 02-05-15, 05:54 AM
recycled
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only do spirited driving when overtaking. Sometimes with slippery conditions the spirited driving is not recommended due to trying to overtake and the RX seems to have a sideways component when hitting the gas. I back off and stay in my lane because it is not worth it.

Conversely when I had my Boxster it encouraged spirited driving and I know cornering can be taken hard on a dry road. My RX makes me a more conservative driver what with this car being more tippy on corners. Am pleased with the performance though.

Guy
Old 02-05-15, 11:23 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That's what my RED car is for . But when I'm in that, most folks give up before the start. Seriously I've had a lot of fun with the 450h performance. Once you know how to drive it, it's a sleeping spoiler with a lot of built in surprise for a lot of unsuspecting drivers .
Originally Posted by lexus114
just curious, does anyone drive they`re rx a little spirited at times?
Old 02-05-15, 11:45 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I do a lot of stop and go driving so once in awhile when I hit an open stretch of highway I'll punch it to the floor and let it rev up just to blow out the carbon as they used to say..
Old 02-05-15, 12:36 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I do a lot of stop and go driving so once in awhile when I hit an open stretch of highway I'll punch it to the floor and let it rev up just to blow out the carbon as they used to say..
Ole Italian tune up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spirited driving in the RX