RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What to choose? 13' RX, 12-13' X5, 12-13' ML, or ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 12:53 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to choose? RX, X5, ML?

I have a 2008 Cayenne S that has 75k miles on it now. I like the truck but have had major issues two winters in a row ($1k issue last year for a wiring harness) and now I'm leaking coolant (which Cayennes are notorious for) and to change a simple $100 hose requires removing the engine and normally is a $2k-4k repair. This is my second car (I just bought a M6 Gran Coupe) and more of a daily driver....especially during the winter. I want something reliable (which I know Lexus is).....I'm just tired of dumping money into cars for things that shouldn't break on $70k cars/trucks....especially things that general maintenance will not have any bearing as to whether it breaks.

I had been planning on waiting another year and getting a 2011 or 2012 Cayenne.....but I'm tired of Porsche problems....especially on a second car. Was contemplating a 2010-2012 Q7 but I've heard those are horrible reliability wise....and gas mileage sucks, too (14/19 MPG).

Anyways, I have narrowed it down to the 2013 RX350, new ML350 (2012-first year of the current body style) or a 2012-2013 X5...I want to trade in my Cayenne and stay around low $30s price-wise....hence why these three vehicles are being compared. A local dealer has a 2013 RX350 with 31k miles for around $34k (certified). Curious how much wiggle room I might have negotiating on a CPO car?

Also curious as to your thoughts on the three models? I just feel I'll probably spend more on brakes and BS problems on both the Benz (since it's the first year of a new body style) and BMW versus the Lexus (especially given I plan on driving this car 20k miles per year). Again, if it were my sole car....I might choose differently....but something reliable is what I'm mostly aiming for. Jeez....it's been 12-13 years since I had my SC400 and it was great (200k miles on it, too).

Last edited by mjr24; 02-04-15 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 12:55 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Default What to choose? 13' RX, 12-13' X5, 12-13' ML, or ?

I have a 2008 Cayenne S that has 75k miles on it now. I like the truck but have had major issues two winters in a row ($1k issue last year for a wiring harness) and now I'm leaking coolant (which Cayennes are notorious for) and to change a simple $100 hose requires removing the engine and normally is a $2k-4k repair. This is my second car (I just bought a M6 Gran Coupe) and more of a daily driver....especially during the winter. I want something reliable (which I know Lexus is).....I'm just tired of dumping money into cars for things that shouldn't break on $70k cars/trucks....especially things that general maintenance will not have any bearing as to whether it breaks.

I had been planning on waiting another year and getting a 2011 or 2012 Cayenne.....but I'm tired of Porsche problems....especially on a second car. Was contemplating a 2010-2012 Q7 but I've heard those are horrible reliability wise....and gas mileage sucks, too (14/19 MPG).

Anyways, I have narrowed it down to the 2013 RX350, new ML350 (2012-2013, whatever the first year of the body style was) or a 2012-2013 X5...I want to trade in my Cayenne and stay around low $30s price-wise....hence why these three vehicles are being compared. A local dealer has a 2013 RX350 with 31k miles for around $34k (certified). Curious how much wiggle room I might have negotiating on a CPO car?

Also curious as to your thoughts on the three models? I just feel I'll probably spend more on brakes and BS problems on both the Benz (since it's the first year of a new body style) and BMW versus the Lexus (especially given I plan on driving this car 20k miles per year). Again, if it were my sole car....I might choose differently....but something reliable is what I'm mostly aiming for. Jeez....it's been 12-13 years since I had my SC400 and it was great (200k miles on it, too).
Old 02-04-15, 05:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think, coming out of a Porsche, the most logical choice would be the X5.The Lexus is just a totally different vehicle altogether. But you are the one that has to live with the choice on a day-to-day basis, so what is your preference?
Old 02-04-15, 05:18 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the Lexus. Since you already have a fun sporty car in the form of the M6, I'd pick the RX 350 as an antithesis to the M6, serving a totally different purpose (i.e. comfy reliable hauler and daily driver). But that's me.
Old 02-04-15, 05:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

how long are you going to keep it? Going to keep it out of warranty?

If so, get the RX. The X5 is the best vehicle there IMHO, but I know a lot of people that have them. Big repair bills out of warranty.
Old 02-04-15, 05:32 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't buy a used X5 without a warranty to cover ALL repairs. Same with and Audi, but I don't know about MB reliability anymore. I like the looks, but it seems like they can't decide if they want to focus on performance or comfort. As a result, it might not do either as well as it's competition. I might be WAY off on that assessment, and would like to hear other opinions. No one ever seems to talk about them, though. I wonder why.

As far as the RX, reliability is certainly not an issue. As you discovered with your SC, they'll last a long time, and will continue to look great with a little care. Just keep in mind that an RX addresses a different audience than a BMW or Cayenne. So if your expecting the same type of handling or performance, you might be surprised. In my opinion, an RX is an every day car that handles daily routine with absolutely no drama. It's also terrific on road trips! I doubt anyone would ever describe an RX as a "driver's car". However solid, predictable, reliable, comfortable, and exceptionally safe are pretty standard adjectives.
Old 02-04-15, 05:51 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

RX is essentially a Highlander wearing a new dress & different lipstick. Toyota based drive train. Very well proven set-up, won't say bullet proof but very close to it. Yes, they all have issues & they all break occasionally. You'll pay a bit of a premium for repairs on a Lexus over a Toyota but will be far less than the other brands you are looking at.
Critical point for me at trade -in is how well did the dealer handle any service/repair issues.
Did I leave $1000.00 on the table & come away mad ?
Did i leave $1000.00 on the table & feel satisfied ?

Ex: Rebuilt the engine on my old Buick a few years ago.
Dealer wanted $ xx for a hydraulic lifter from the Buick parts catalogue.
Same dealer wanted about 40% less $$ for a hydraulic lifter from the Chevy parts catalogue.
Both part numbers we re the same.
Old 02-04-15, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mjr24
to change a simple $100 hose requires removing the engine and normally is a $2k-4k repair.
My first reaction is you've got to be kidding. If true, however, that's an inexcusably poor design. I guess Porsche figures that Cayenne owners have money to burn.

Anyways, I have narrowed it down to the 2013 RX350, new ML350 (2012-2013, whatever the first year of the body style was) or a 2012-2013 X5...I want to trade in my Cayenne and stay around low $30s price-wise....hence why these three vehicles are being compared. A local dealer has a 2013 RX350 with 31k miles for around $34k (certified). Curious how much wiggle room I might have negotiating on a CPO car?

First-year reliability woes, for a number of reasons, are much less common now on new vehicles than in the past, but as the Jeep Grand Cherokee's 2010-2011 redesign showed, occasionally still happens. I'd go with the RX....though not as sport or driver-oriented as the Mercedes or BMW, I think that, on issues reliability and dealer service/pricing, you will be happier with it in the long run.
Old 02-04-15, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

If reliability is a major concern, I'd get the RX. The X5 would be the best vehicle here IMHO, but I know people with them and repairs like you're facing with your Cayenne are commonplace with the X5 too.

You won't have a $2-4k repair on an RX. Ever.
Old 02-04-15, 08:39 AM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We recently cross-shopped those three models (granted all new, not CPO) and went with the RX. It really depends on what you are looking for. The X5 was really nice, but a lot more expensive than the RX. We were coming from BMW that we were happy with so that was our original leaning, but the RX won us over. It is more comfortable and smaller while still providing great room for four people and cargo space. You kind of have to decide what is important to you. Do you need a third row? Do you err on the side of comfort?

Chicago roads are kind of like Cleveland roads - bad. We thought the RX ride was more forgiving on the rough roads here than the BMW. BUT, if the X5 with the options we wanted was the same price as the RX, we would have gone with it. It just wasn't worth the ~12k premium when the RX was already really good.

Last edited by Leap; 02-04-15 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-04-15, 08:41 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I would think, coming out of a Porsche, the most logical choice would be the X5.The Lexus is just a totally different vehicle altogether. But you are the one that has to live with the choice on a day-to-day basis
that's what I was thinking - and why I would recommend a CPO'd X5. RX350 would be a drastic change in sportiness (as well as reliability).
Old 02-04-15, 10:17 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe find a nice used RX F-Sport
Old 02-04-15, 01:21 PM
tedb
Driver School Candidate

I've been a Mercedes owner (multiple cars)for a couple decades and recently went thru a similar set of decisions. Mercedes has gotten too expensive for me to maintain....The ML seems to have cost issues as well. A couple friends with X5's love them but again, pricey to maintain. Bought my daughter a used 2010 RX350, and bought a 2014 RX350 for my wife last night. While the driving experience is not the same as the Porsche or X5, I really needed to cut the maintenance #'s to something within reason.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-04-15, 02:05 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Being a former ML 430 owner for 9 1/2 years, I would go for the RX unless you enjoy being on a first name basis with Mercedes SA's. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-04-15, 02:27 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

If you're looking for reliability and peace of mind, you've come too the right place!
RX is not a fun to drive car, but is a comfortable vehicle get around.

Quick Reply: What to choose? 13' RX, 12-13' X5, 12-13' ML, or ?