RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 vs GX460

Old 02-03-15, 05:36 PM
ky2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 vs GX460

My wife and I have an ES350 and are planning to buy a Lexus SUV. Originally, we were thinking about RX350, like everybody else.

Recently, our neighbor got a new GX460 and it looks much better. It is bigger. It has 3 rows. It is heavier. And our neighbor brags that GX460/GS350 are real Lexus. RX350/ES350 are just nicer Toyota. That is why it uses premiun vs regular gas etc.

I know he is excited by the new purchase, so I did not argue with him. We are happy with our ES350. What do you think? I know this is a RX350 forum. Hopefully, the feedback is not biased

Personally, I am more interested in the safety. With the whole family in one SUV, I do not want to take uncessacery risk. Does the extra cost for GX justify the extra safety if a collision happens? Or maybe RX is as safe as GX? Please advise.
Old 02-03-15, 08:06 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a thread in this forum about the safety of the RX and it being a top safety pick. I know nothing about the GX other than it is larger and probably very safe also.
Old 02-04-15, 08:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The RX and the GX are both great vehicles, so you win no matter which you choose. However, the GX's offroad and towing capabilities far outshine anything the RX can do, so if you plan to go off road, tow, or need a third row, then the GX is your obvious choice.

The RX offers a buttery smooth and more car like experience, with better fuel mileage and maneuverability than the GX.

We chose the RX over the GX because the GX was bigger than we needed, and we didn't like the side hinged rear tailgate.

Your neighbor should be corrected on two things, however.

First, the RX and the GX are both "real" Lexuses. Both stem from Toyota models (the RX shares similarities with the Toyota Highlander, and the GX is a practical clone of the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado), so I am not sure where he gets his point. The RX does not share any sheet metal with a Toyota product, whereas the GX does. The RX uses the engine from the Highlander/Camry/Venza/etc. whereas the GX uses the lower grade engine choice from the Tundra and Sequoia. His comment strikes me as odd and rather uninformed.

Second, premium fuel requirements have nothing to do with the status of a vehicle. The current generation RX initially required premium as well, but in 2012 they lowered the requirement to regular to satisfy customer complaints. The RX didn't become less of a premium vehicle because the octane requirements were changed.

The two have very different personalities and capabilities. Drive both and I think you'll lean heavily more towards one than the other - they are that different. Good luck in your search and let us know what you find!
Old 02-04-15, 09:06 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Only real Lexus vehicles take premium? That's new to me.

JDR hit on the major points. They are two different vehicles. It's best to drive both to see which one suits your needs better and to not be swayed by your neighbor. The RX created the luxury SUV market when it was introduced back in 1998. And it's been on top since. Here is the article Marqevans mentioned about safety. It's definitely impressive.

The fourth generation RX is set to debut in April at the New York International Auto Show. Click here for more information. Maybe you'll want to put off your decision until then. Or you can one up your neighbor and get the LX. Then tell him how you have the real Lexus SUV, LOL! Seriously, keep us posted once you've had a chance to drive them. BTW, ES is a fine vehicle too.
Old 02-04-15, 02:00 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both so I am unbiased.

We have a 14 GX & a 15 RX. I like the RX better. I like the looks and the smoother ride also the auto power folding mirrors and the power back door. The RX seems to have better acceleration too. To me the GX is not suited for day to day driving but it does have the off road capability, also has the upgraded nav, cross traffic alert, & touch screen. As far the third row seats, they are very hard to access. Really only suitable for small children and I have learned to hate the side opening back door.

Since you already have the ES maybe you want a more truck like vehicle. But if you love the way your car handles and want something similar the RX is the way to go.

The GX & GS are the only true Lexuses? What about the LX & LS? They sure cost a lot for Toyotas.

Like Anita said, drive them both. everything depends on your needs. One thing for certain, The RX is truly a Lexus

Last edited by sandy14; 02-04-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-04-15, 02:33 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

RX is as a real Lexus as it gets! It is the best selling model after all, LOL.
If you are happy with the ES, then RX is the right vehicle for you.
GX is a true SUV while RX is a crossover. And that's that.
Different tools for different needs. Is sledgehammer better than a mallet?
Old 02-04-15, 03:32 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth all GX are still built in Japan. In case that matters to you.
Old 02-05-15, 12:22 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother and I own the GX equivalent in the Toyota line, the Landcruiser. We use it for towing, trips to HomeDepot and trips to the airport. Really any tough job we are doing. One thing to keep in mind is that it is rated at 15 MPG in city driving ... but, can dip as low as 12 MPG. It is an environmental disaster and for that reason we really restrict how much use it gets.

If you are interested in safety, here is a recent thread you might find interesting:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ath-proof.html

The RX and ES are really better examples of real, modern Lexus vehicles than the GX. The GX has a old, truck like body on frame design. I think this Edmund's summary on the 460 is a good reflection of my thoughts.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gx-460/
Old 02-05-15, 06:47 AM
realkrs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
My brother and I own the GX equivalent in the Toyota line, the Landcruiser. We use it for towing, trips to HomeDepot and trips to the airport. Really any tough job we are doing. One thing to keep in mind is that it is rated at 15 MPG in city driving ... but, can dip as low as 12 MPG. It is an environmental disaster and for that reason we really restrict how much use it gets.

If you are interested in safety, here is a recent thread you might find interesting:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ath-proof.html

The RX and ES are really better examples of real, modern Lexus vehicles than the GX. The GX has a old, truck like body on frame design. I think this Edmund's summary on the 460 is a good reflection of my thoughts.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gx-460/
You and your brother's Landcruisers are the Toyota equivelant oof the Lexus LX model, not the GX being discussed. The GX is smaller and equates to the Toyota 4Runner models.

Nevertheless much of your assessment hold for both the GX and LX models - as the 4Runner can be thought of as a smaller version of the Landcruiser so the GX model is to the LX model. All of them are body on frame designs with live axles, and all of them are qualified environmental disasters in the eyes of treehugging sorts. All of them will get you through, no matter what, so long as there's fuel in the tank(s)..
Old 02-05-15, 07:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Technically speaking, Toyota's GX equivalent is the Landcruiser Prado.
Old 02-05-15, 08:49 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
whereas the GX uses the lower grade engine choice from the Tundra and Sequoia.
And LX570 uses a lower grade engine from Tundra as well? I'm not sure I understand how 1UR-FE V8 engine used in the GX is a lower grade engine compared to a V6 used in the RX?
Old 02-05-15, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

They're very different vehicles, suited to different purposes. The GX is bigger, heavier, the body on frame design does make it ride "trucky" from time to time (although overall it rides very well), its more tiring to drive it around in a city setting because of those things. On a road trip I'd probably prefer the GX. Its heavier, more solid, goes down the highway with more authority. I hate the side swinging door on the GX.

I think the GX is "manlier" looking. Whether that matters or not. The GX is a little nicer inside, although neither really speak to me as being especially nice inside compared to the competition. Both are a little long in the tooth.

The RX is basically an ES with AWD, more ground clearance and a wagon/crossover body. If thats what you're looking for its a great choice,. The GX is going to be way more capable than you're ever going to use, and that capability costs you some comfort day to day that may not be worth the tradeoff.

If I could only choose between the RX and GX? I would choose the GX probably. I can totally see why someone would take the RX though.

Originally Posted by ky2002
and our neighbor brags that GX460/GS350 are real Lexus. RX350/ES350 are just nicer Toyota
Don't kill me...I'm not trolling or trying to **** anybody off...Having owned a couple LS, a couple ES and now a GS, as well as having extensively driven the RX, IS, GX...there is some truth to this.

The ES and RX are very capable vehicles, they are very well built, smooth and quiet and refined...very good values. BUT...there is *something* that exists in the upper level Lexus vehicles that is missing from these cars. Some additional level of refinement, the way every control, door, etc is damped in just the right way, quality everywhere you touch. The way they glide down the road and never do anything in a harsh or an abrupt way. The RWD platform of the "better" cars has something to do with that, but its also something else.

Unless you've owned or extensively driven a non-entry level Lexus model (I would consider entry level the CT, ES & RX...have not driven the new NX to get my feelings on it) its something you don't miss...but once you have you do miss it. It was especially clear to me when I got the GS after having gone to the ES for 10 years from the LS. Once I started living with the GS day to day I found that "Lexusness" again that I loved in the LS...but was lacking in my two ES sedans. Even in the IS you feel it. The GX's cheap in places interior detracts from it, but driving down the road its there in that vehicle too. Its not in the ES and RX to me...and certainly not the CT which I think is dreadful.

I would buy an RX or ES without question even with that said, but your neighbor has a point.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-05-15 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-05-15, 11:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Quadro
And LX570 uses a lower grade engine from Tundra as well? I'm not sure I understand how 1UR-FE V8 engine used in the GX is a lower grade engine compared to a V6 used in the RX?
Let me clarify. What I mean is that on the Tundra and Sequoia, there are two V8s to choose from. One is the 4.6 liter (shared with GX) and the other is the 5.7 liter (shared with the LX). Of those two, I would consider the 4.6 to be the lower equipment grade of the two V8 engine options.

I simply pointing out which of the two V8s offered in the Tundra and Sequoia is in the GX. I was not stating that the V8 is a lower grade than that of the RX.
Old 02-05-15, 12:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Let me clarify. What I mean is that on the Tundra and Sequoia, there are two V8s to choose from. One is the 4.6 liter (shared with GX) and the other is the 5.7 liter (shared with the LX). Of those two, I would consider the 4.6 to be the lower equipment grade of the two V8 engine options.
Remember though that 4.6 liter is derived from the LS. There's nothing low grade about that motor.

The Tundra and Sequoia are not related to the GX or the LX, so I'm not sure why we're discussing them.
Old 02-05-15, 12:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Remember though that 4.6 liter is derived from the LS. There's nothing low grade about that motor.

The Tundra and Sequoia are not related to the GX or the LX, so I'm not sure why we're discussing them.
Sigh...

I'll try one more time then raise the white flag and walk away.

First, I never said the 4.6 was a low grade engine or that there was anything low grade about it. I meant lower grade in the terms of a lower trim level/less expensive option.

How about if I use the word "smaller"?

There are two V8s offered on the Tundra and the Sequoia. The smaller of the two is the one that is in the GX.

We are discussing the Tundra and Sequoia because it was stated that the RX is more of a Toyota than the GX is. I brought up the Tundra and Sequoia to note that BOTH the RX and the GX use engines that are found in Toyota models as something to consider in the discussion of that point.

Last edited by JDR76; 02-05-15 at 12:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX350 vs GX460