RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX F Sport Harsh Ride Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 09:21 PM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX F Sport Harsh Ride Fix (merged threads)

As the title says, I am not too happy with the ride of my new f sport. I ve tried lowering the tire pressure to 32 psi. That helped some. When I test drove the car, I only went on the freeway and it seemed fine. However after having it for awhile, I've noticed in the city the ride is really bad. What's the best bang for the buck to smooth it out? Shocks or springs? Or both. Or do I need to look at something else. I like everything else about the car.
Old 12-21-12, 12:07 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Why did you get the F-sport version to begin with if you didn't value things like greater road feedback?

That's one of the major selling points of the F-sport line.
Old 12-21-12, 07:13 AM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

The major reason for the purchase was we liked how the F sport version looked. We like the rims and the grill. Also, as mentioned above, when we took it for a test drive, the initial ride seemed fine. We felt that is was a little less smooth but tolerable. We have had several lexuses in the past and figured that it was a lexus...they are known for cushy ride...even the sports cars. We have an IS350C that's sportscar like with a road feel but it absorbs the bumps way better and feels like a luxury sportscar crossover. However, after having the RX F sport it for a few days and driving around town, below 50 mph, any bumps we hit are completely jarring. Our 2006 honda accord lx (cheapest model you can get) absorbs bumps better.

I love the steering feel of the F sport (It is alot tighter), but the way it absorbs bumps can be alot better. I know I might lose the steering feel for the cushy ride.

I've been reading around and it seems like softer springs may be the way to go. Any thoughts?
Old 12-21-12, 08:19 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

New shocks wont change a thing. The shocks do not absorb the bumps. The springs do, so basically, you need a new set of springs. This may void the warranty though and the handling will not be as good obviously.
Old 12-21-12, 08:39 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
New shocks wont change a thing. The shocks do not absorb the bumps. The springs do, so basically, you need a new set of springs. This may void the warranty though and the handling will not be as good obviously.
once the shocks and springs break in it should absorb more. How many miles are on it? You could always swap out for non Fsport shocks and springs.
Old 12-21-12, 08:58 AM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! I'm going to call my service guy and get an estimate on how much it would cost to do the regular springs instead of the f sport springs. Maybe that won't void the warranty. Not too worried about the handling as I don't race this thing.

Thanks for the response.
Old 12-21-12, 09:20 AM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Just called my Lexus service guy. He said that it wouldn't void the warranty. The only time it would void the warranty is if the springs caused direct damage to the vehicle and in this case the struts would probably bear the most risk. Even then, he said lexus is pretty lenient on things like this and I should be ok. He is checking to see if replacement is possible and how much. I'll reply back once I find out.
Old 12-21-12, 09:23 AM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Also, in response to Dengman, the car only has 600 miles. I've read many of the posts on the forum and many posts said that even after thousands of miles, the ride never got better (this was the 2010 "bad ride" thread though and might not apply to f sport). I am looking into the costs and if its a few hundred dollars, I may do it.
Old 12-21-12, 11:31 AM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Bad news for me. You can't just replace the springs. Almost the entire suspension may need to be swapped out. We're looking at several thousand dollars worth of costs to make it smoother. Guess I'm going to have to live with it for a while. I hope for the 2014 F sport, they do some tuning to it like they did the IS F to make it more bearable and may be able to swap then.

I have Dunlop tires on it. I am seeing if I can swap for the Michelins. Maybe that may make a small difference.
Old 12-21-12, 12:18 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your next best option to get high profile tires but you may need to go to smaller wheels in order to keep the original circumference of the OEM tire.
Old 12-21-12, 12:36 PM
triquynh
Driver

what about coilovers if one is available later?
Old 12-21-12, 12:38 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by strife77
Bad news for me. You can't just replace the springs. Almost the entire suspension may need to be swapped out. We're looking at several thousand dollars worth of costs to make it smoother. Guess I'm going to have to live with it for a while. I hope for the 2014 F sport, they do some tuning to it like they did the IS F to make it more bearable and may be able to swap then.

I have Dunlop tires on it. I am seeing if I can swap for the Michelins. Maybe that may make a small difference.
Hey Strife,

I've modded several cars including my current GS400. I've done several spring shock combos, done custom valving on my GS's Bilstein PSS Coilovers, etc... With the harsh ride on the F you really only have a couple options: replace the spring and shocks which you have already looked into - big bucks, change the wheels to the 18's which will soften it up a bit, but again big bucks for the wheels and a new ser of tires. Swapping just the tires will not make much difference and is a waste of $'s IMO.

Really your best option if you really want a more pleasant ride is to go back to the dealership and explain the situation to the sales manager and ask to swap the car for a regular RX. You only have 600 miles on the car and now is the time to do this. It may cost you a few bucks but no more than any of the other options you have - which by the way will cost you even more when you go to sell it because the next owner wants an F sport, not an F sport look a like. Plus, let the sales manager know you are a Club Lexus member and you plan to post up your customer service experience of their dealership on this situation and you know they will take good care of you.

if you swap stuff out you really don't know if you are going to like the ride and you are sol if you don't and now you are out the money and there is no way to get it back. Now you are going to have to live with a car you really don't like for years to come and be unhappy the whole time wishing you had swapped the car out when you had the chance. Changing and modding cars is a risky proposition. If you have the money it's not a big deal since you can just change it again if you don't like the outcome. If money is an object don't even think about it and just go see the sales manager and get a different car that you know you like how it drives.

I know this is a tough situation with such an expensive purchase. Best wishes as you decide the best route to go for you (but if it was me i would be swapping the car in a heart beat!). Let us know what you decide and how it all goes. Merry Christmas!

Scott
Old 12-21-12, 02:12 PM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Hi Scott,

Thank your for your excellent advice. It was probably what I was looking for. Looks like my wife and I have some hard decisions to make. I personally don't mind the rougher ride as much as the wife does. I loved our old 2004 rx and its smoothness though. Our 2013 F sport is very quiet and its quietness does seem to take some of the edge off of the harsh ride. I know those two aren't be related but its probably a mental thing. I just love the way the F sport looks over the regular RX.

I will talk to our sales manager and see what our options are. Unfortunately, being OCD with cars as I am, the first thing we did to the car was put on a Full Clear Bra (full hood - so no lines, all lights, side mirrors, fenders, and door handle cups) and got the windows tinted. That was $800 which was a great deal.
Old 12-21-12, 02:14 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by strife77

I have the F-Sport with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires, set at 33 psi. Ride is firm and you feel some of the harshest bumps, but not jarring. I had a 91 MR2, Eibach springs dropped 1.5 in - that ride was painfully jarring. So overall, the F-Sport ride is not that bad and I came from a Gen 2 RX400h (plush), IS 250 AWD (comfortable), and currently drive a CT (barely stiffer than the RX, but not jarring and also has Michelins).

I hear the Dunlops are noticeably stiffer (and cheaper quality tire) and may make the acceptable difference for you if they are swapped. Just look it up at tirerack.com for more opinions and test results. I personally would ask your dealer if they can swap them to the Michelins and propose you'd pay a nominal cost for the 600 miles of wear and the remounting of the tires - would be worth a try.

If all else fails, heck you got the F-Sport. Pretend the road and the "hazards" on them is a slalom course and enjoy!

Keep us posted, curious how this goes.
Old 12-21-12, 02:34 PM
strife77
Driver School Candidate

Hi CorradoMR2, I have our service guy looking into the swap. Haven't heard back yet. Despite Steve's advice, I might throw good money after bad to see how the swap goes as I'm as skeptical as he is in terms of any difference it might make. If it doesn't do anything, I'm out about $200. I lost more in a single hand in vegas lol.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: RX F Sport Harsh Ride Fix (merged threads)