RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 : pouch behind front seats

Old 01-29-15, 11:39 AM
3894days
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 : pouch behind front seats

Can they be replaced or are they part of the actual seat?? mine was ripped in accident so just see if they can fix that one part or does the seat need to be replaced which seems a little extreme to me.
Old 01-29-15, 02:48 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have a photo???
Originally Posted by 3894days
Can they be replaced or are they part of the actual seat?? mine was ripped in accident so just see if they can fix that one part or does the seat need to be replaced which seems a little extreme to me.
Old 01-30-15, 08:41 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

Take it to a local car upholstery shop for an opinion. I have priced seat covers and even used ones on eBay are a couple hundred bucks. I think they sell the top and bottom sections separately.
Old 01-30-15, 09:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Wouldn't the pouch be covered under the accident repairs?
Old 01-30-15, 10:11 AM
Clutchless

Depends if it was a vehicle accident. Or a stupid accident where someone slipped and grabbed it or you stuffed something too big back there and tore it.
Old 01-30-15, 10:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Depends if it was a vehicle accident. Or a stupid accident where someone slipped and grabbed it or you stuffed something too big back there and tore it.
See post 409. It should definitely be covered. Maybe 3894days is trying to figure out if the whole seat has to be replaced versus just that one piece.
Old 01-30-15, 10:40 AM
Clutchless

It almost looks like the entire car needs to be replaced. After that much damage a torn seat would be the least of my worries. I guesstimate a $10,000 repair. However the torn seat pocket issue is usually an insurance adjuster and body shop issue. They always find more damage after repairs are under way.
Old 01-30-15, 11:34 AM
3894days
Rookie

well thanks for the replies and thoughts... yes it was ripped in the accident.. just wasnt sure if that is a seperate piece to the seat... I dont have car now as its in the body shop.... first estimate was $8K but will most likely grow once they start tearing it apart... at time of accident my son was like "Dad this got ripped" I was like dont worry about that ...lol..but nice that he was looking out for me.
Old 01-30-15, 11:37 AM
3894days
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
See post 409. It should definitely be covered. Maybe 3894days is trying to figure out if the whole seat has to be replaced versus just that one piece.
exactly what I was wondering!
Old 01-30-15, 11:43 AM
Clutchless

The seat covers can be replaced if damaged. I doubt the entire seat would be replaced. I bet they are otherwise undamaged.
Old 01-30-15, 01:36 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

So happy all of you came through it fine and only the car was damaged. From the photo it does appear there was a problem with the air bags. In accidents such as that today, deployment of the airbags can cause so much damage (cost of dash plus cost of new airbags and associated connectors) it's almost always ruled a total if they deploy. You mentioned in a separate post you thought they may have been disconnected. Did you buy the car used? Just wondering, I've never heard of that before on one that hadn't been damaged before.
Originally Posted by 3894days
well thanks for the replies and thoughts... yes it was ripped in the accident.. just wasnt sure if that is a seperate piece to the seat... I dont have car now as its in the body shop.... first estimate was $8K but will most likely grow once they start tearing it apart... at time of accident my son was like "Dad this got ripped" I was like dont worry about that ...lol..but nice that he was looking out for me.
Old 02-03-15, 04:55 AM
3894days
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cruiter
So happy all of you came through it fine and only the car was damaged. From the photo it does appear there was a problem with the air bags. In accidents such as that today, deployment of the airbags can cause so much damage (cost of dash plus cost of new airbags and associated connectors) it's almost always ruled a total if they deploy. You mentioned in a separate post you thought they may have been disconnected. Did you buy the car used? Just wondering, I've never heard of that before on one that hadn't been damaged before.
Yes it is used, The connector I was talking about, the tow truck driver showed me a connector that came unplugged when the front end was ripped off there for stopping them from deploying?? not sure how true that is but just what he told me.
Old 02-03-15, 01:04 PM
Clutchless

Air bags may not be designed to deploy when you think they should have deployed. It depends on several factors. It could be that although the damage was severe, the sensors thought the speed differential not great enough for your vehicle to deploy the air bags or the angle of impact was not enough to activate them. I think you said in the other post you were going slow or stopped and were hit by a red light runner who sort of side swiped your front end. I wonder if the connector got unplugged during impact?
Many years ago I had a year old 1992 Honda Civic sedan and rear ended a Chevy SUV when the car ahead of him stopped in the middle of an intersection because he heard a fire engine, 20 seconds after the light turned green light and we were all accelerating, although later in court he admitted he did not see a truck! Anyway, the SUV had no damage from my car or the guy ahead of him and my Honda had $6,000 worth, needing all new front sheet metal and radiator etc. The air bags did not deploy. I beat the ticket thanks to testimony of the Chevy SUV driver and the moron who stopped! We were apparently not going fast enough for the air bags to deploy. I was able to drive it 100 feet out of the way afterward.
Old 02-11-15, 04:53 AM
3894days
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Air bags may not be designed to deploy when you think they should have deployed. It depends on several factors. It could be that although the damage was severe, the sensors thought the speed differential not great enough for your vehicle to deploy the air bags or the angle of impact was not enough to activate them. I think you said in the other post you were going slow or stopped and were hit by a red light runner who sort of side swiped your front end. I wonder if the connector got unplugged during impact?
Many years ago I had a year old 1992 Honda Civic sedan and rear ended a Chevy SUV when the car ahead of him stopped in the middle of an intersection because he heard a fire engine, 20 seconds after the light turned green light and we were all accelerating, although later in court he admitted he did not see a truck! Anyway, the SUV had no damage from my car or the guy ahead of him and my Honda had $6,000 worth, needing all new front sheet metal and radiator etc. The air bags did not deploy. I beat the ticket thanks to testimony of the Chevy SUV driver and the moron who stopped! We were apparently not going fast enough for the air bags to deploy. I was able to drive it 100 feet out of the way afterward.
well I am glad they didn't go off else my car would have been considered totaled!!!! NOT GOOD! Latest quote is now is just under 13K!!! In shop for next month!! at least it is being fixed!