RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trying to find easy way to connect cable in RX to charge my S5 phone

Old 01-27-15, 03:49 PM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trying to find easy way to connect cable in RX to charge my S5 phone

Have the 2014 RX. Trying to figure out a way to charge my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone easily in the vehicle.

I plugged in a USB cable but the USB port is near front and quite high. Plugging in the cable takes up space in the compartment. Then if you lay your phone on its side over the seat heater buttons you have to stretch the cable to make it work.

Has anyone figured out a better/easier way to charge their cell phone in the RX?

Please help. Thanks.
Old 01-27-15, 03:57 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about a 12V USB charger?
Old 01-27-15, 05:21 PM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

The issue I would have is that either option takes up room in the glove compartment. I need to find a right angled cord or perhaps power inverter that I can run straight up almost.

I usually have the phone in the cup holder.

Wish there was a better way to do this. Where does lexus expect you to place the phone in the RX?
Old 01-28-15, 05:30 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2010h didn't have the plug in the place you're speaking of but they are deep in the console itself under the bucket (forward area). There is a hole in the bucket side to bring the cords up and through. Have you checked your owners manual to see if they're still there? I had two USB connections there that were great for phone (also Samsung S5) and iPod.
Originally Posted by atomarchio
Have the 2014 RX. Trying to figure out a way to charge my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone easily in the vehicle.

I plugged in a USB cable but the USB port is near front and quite high. Plugging in the cable takes up space in the compartment. Then if you lay your phone on its side over the seat heater buttons you have to stretch the cable to make it work.

Has anyone figured out a better/easier way to charge their cell phone in the RX?

Please help. Thanks.
Old 01-28-15, 06:17 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cruiter
My 2010h didn't have the plug in the place you're speaking of but they are deep in the console itself under the bucket (forward area). There is a hole in the bucket side to bring the cords up and through. Have you checked your owners manual to see if they're still there? I had two USB connections there that were great for phone (also Samsung S5) and iPod.
That's exactly what I am looking for. Why would the power adapter be underneath? I don't get that at all.

I am trying to find this hole but I don't see anything. I am looking the manual now but don't see anything.

Can anyone with a 14 RX help?
Old 01-28-15, 07:18 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Maby your RX did not have a certain option or package thus not having the usb ports under center console. There is a storage space right under the shifter close to the floor that you can use to store your other stuff to make space for glove box? That space under ther shifter can fit a large purse.
Old 01-28-15, 07:45 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Maby your RX did not have a certain option or package thus not having the usb ports under center console. There is a storage space right under the shifter close to the floor that you can use to store your other stuff to make space for glove box? That space under ther shifter can fit a large purse.
Yes, I have that. The area underneath is all open and the car charger is there.

You're saying there is way to somehow to get a cable up through there. Where does it end up?

I am looking again but can't tell what you're referring to.
Old 01-28-15, 10:38 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Angelo, when you raise the armrest and look down/in, is there a bin you can remove? If so the plugs are below that in the forward wall. And there should be a hole in the forward part of the bin to run the cords through. Visually seeing and using them is a POA but if you can lift out the bin, use your smart phone flash light to see the plugs.
Originally Posted by atomarchio
That's exactly what I am looking for. Why would the power adapter be underneath? I don't get that at all.

I am trying to find this hole but I don't see anything. I am looking the manual now but don't see anything.

Can anyone with a 14 RX help?
Old 01-28-15, 10:45 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Angelo, when you raise the armrest and look down/in, is there a bin you can remove? If so the plugs are below that in the forward wall. And there should be a hole in the forward part of the bin to run the cords through. Visually seeing and using them is a POA but if you can lift out the bin, use your smart phone flash light to see the plugs.
I see those plugs. problem I have is that If I use that area for cables it takes up space I have in there to put a tissue box or other items.

Guess I was just hoping for something further in front a bit more convenient.
Old 01-28-15, 01:32 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A usb cable takes up space in your armrest? How much space could it take up? Do you have it sticking out front of the armrest to your cupholder?
Old 01-28-15, 01:38 PM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mors
A usb cable takes up space in your armrest? How much space could it take up? Do you have it sticking out front of the armrest to your cupholder?
Yes. It takes up some space but could work there.

Was just hoping there was a way to get the phone closer to front of the car without dragging a cable all the way across.