RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Activating heated wipers ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 06:40 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Activating heated wipers ?

I'm juat beginning to learn about my new RX 350. In the manual it shows the icon for activating the heated wiper function. See illiustration (note arrow pointing to the icon). When I'm on this scfeen there is no such icon. Does it only appear when the outside temperature is below a certain level? Or do I not have this feature? (I thought all RX's have it).

Old 01-26-15, 07:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I had it on my RX in Canada and every recent Lexus I've owned (RX, CT, IS, NX). So I'm a little surprised. (It should always show up regardless of temp). Is there anything in the manual that says "*if equipped"?

Another thought is if yours is FWD, it may come only equipped with AWD models in the US...
Old 01-26-15, 07:43 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this only on 13+'s?
Old 01-27-15, 05:11 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not on my 2010 FWD.
Originally Posted by justin1203
Is this only on 13+'s?
Old 01-27-15, 05:26 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have them.
Old 01-27-15, 06:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

kmar, the manual shows features that aren't necessarily available in the US. For example, mine has a section on air suspension. That's only in Europe. Check your window sticker. The wiper de-icer is part of the cold weather package. I know that's an option on the GS.
Old 01-27-15, 06:17 AM
kmar
Driver

Originally Posted by jgr7
You don't have them.
Is it something available only with a certain package or stand alone option?
Old 01-27-15, 06:23 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

What annoys me about this feature in our '15 is that in my '09, it came on automatically when you turned on the rear/mirror defroster. Now you have to dig into a menu/screen to activate it separately. That is just dumb!
Old 01-27-15, 06:24 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, be aware that there are sometimes differences in mfgr implementations, options, and packaging on the same vehicle between countries for a myriad of legal or marketing reasons. In our case, the manual you're reading is common between at least the US and Canada. You've probably noticed e.g. some of the dash diagrams in the manual have two versions -- one for the US and one for Canada, because some symbols for the same thing are different due to country laws. The manual also describes every option -- even if some of those things were never built onto the specific vehicle you own, or if that country didn't implement or make a particular option available.
(IMHO, all mfgrs create and distribute consolidated manuals this way to save money. There are too many combinations otherwise. IMHO, Lexus isn't so bad, but this was fairly confusing with my former BMW, and on my present MBZ it appears the same manuals are provided to many English speaking countries including others in Europe, Asia and Africa. On my MBZ SLK, and the forum I frequent for it, we've found significant differences in not just dash symbols, but turn signals, headlights, TPMS, headlight washers, etc in various countries. Some it seems because of country-specific laws that require and therefore make some options standard, and others where they are not sold at all because the option is contrary to what is allowed in that part of the world, while other options that seem to be excluded for marketing reasons we will never understand the reasoning behind.)
Anyway, my refreshed Gen 3 2013 RX450h built in Japan for the US, does not have this deicer option, and I have every option available on my RX450h that could be special ordered at the time (only BSM has become available since). As jgr7 suggests, I suspect the US 2015's don't have the feature either.
Old 01-27-15, 09:14 AM
kmar
Driver

I found a notation a few pages earlier in the manual that the Wiper Di-Icer is indeed an "If equipped" feature. Seems that information about a certain subject is often scattered on various pages in the manual.

Thanks for all the replies on this subject. Apparently my RX does not have the Wiper De-Icer. A bit disappointing, as my previous vehicle, a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe had it.
Old 01-27-15, 12:59 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my 14 AWD with tech package comfort package does not have this...at least the symbol isnt there in menu..
Old 01-27-15, 02:02 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 335 Posts

I've had it on my last 3 Toyotas, including the current RX450h. Probably standard on Canadian models. It's ok I suppose. The manual makes it sound like your windshield will glow red with heat, but it's only slightly better than waiting for the defroster to warm up. If your windshield is covered with ice, you're still going to have to scrape or wait for the defroster. If your wipers look like icy baseball bats, they aren't going to help much there either.
Old 01-27-15, 02:32 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I wish we had them here.. They would have come in handy driving through the snowstorm we had yesterday into today.. The RX performed great but ice was building up on the wipers.

I think I'm going buy a set of winter blades.
Old 02-03-15, 11:28 AM
Emreh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if there's a way to keep it permanently on during winter months? every time i start the car I have to go into the climate menu and turn it on. also like other window heaters it shuts itself off after a while.
Old 02-03-15, 12:02 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I had this on my '13 GS. It was AWD with the "Cold weather package". I used it maybe 1 time. It's hidden away in the climate settings. It should be a "hard" button, not some ridiculous maze to find it. It doesn't heat the whole windshield, just the very bottom section where the wipers rest.

Quick Reply: Activating heated wipers ?