RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

car not starting,,help pls..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 02:21 PM
kulcool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation car not starting,,help pls..

Hi everyone,
My lexus rx350 is not starting anymore. it was working fine till the day before. I couldn't start it 3 days ago. I felt the steering wheel was stuck. Next day it even was displaying that "steering wheel locked."I tried again but it didn't start. I read on this forum and tried to turn steering wheel right and left, while start mode on. Steering wheel didn't give away after trying vigorously, so i hit the start button and it did give away but car still didn't start. My joystick for the navigation was shaking. The indicators on the display were vibrating. After 30 seconds or so it stopped on its own. then It started showed "check AWD system" message.
I am still unable to start the car..Please help..Is my battery dying?(other things like navigation, music etc. are still working) would it be risky to try jump start if battery is not dead yet?
I am freaked out..
Old 01-23-15, 03:10 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kulcool
Hi everyone,
My lexus rx350 is not starting anymore. it was working fine till the day before. I couldn't start it 3 days ago. I felt the steering wheel was stuck. Next day it even was displaying that "steering wheel locked."I tried again but it didn't start. I read on this forum and tried to turn steering wheel right and left, while start mode on. Steering wheel didn't give away after trying vigorously, so i hit the start button and it did give away but car still didn't start. My joystick for the navigation was shaking. The indicators on the display were vibrating. After 30 seconds or so it stopped on its own. then It started showed "check AWD system" message.
I am still unable to start the car..Please help..Is my battery dying?(other things like navigation, music etc. are still working) would it be risky to try jump start if battery is not dead yet?
I am freaked out..
From the way this is written, I can't tell if the engine is turning over and won't start, or won't turn over. Please take a deep breath, relax, calm down and tell us exactly what is happening in detail.
Year and mileage would be helpful. Last time battery was replaced would be helpful. Battery can be intermittent, with all cars.

Ray A.
Old 01-23-15, 04:03 PM
kulcool
Driver School Candidate

Thanks raylor4 for reaching out.
It's 2010 and it has 43000 miles on it. I bought it as CPO 9 months ago. I haven't replaced battery and I don't think it was replaced prior to my purchase.
Old 01-23-15, 04:14 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Could be the battery at that age. Check and see if one-touch works on the windows and moonroof. When it doesn't, that's usually a good indicator the battery is on the way out. Register on the Lexus website to verify the service done on your RX including whether the battery was changed or not. And give the dealer a call. The battery is prorated. Good luck.
Old 01-23-15, 04:45 PM
Pesttt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone,
I am freaked out..
kulcool..... don't panic my friend. the EXACT same thing happened to me a few months ago on my 2010 RX350.
Just change your battery and all will be fine. I'm 100% sure on that.
A trip to your local costco is all it takes.
Good luck...
Old 01-23-15, 05:14 PM
kulcool
Driver School Candidate

I checked on lexus website. The battery wasn't changed in history report. I also tried to check whether moonroof/windows working. moonroof worked but I didn't open fully as it is raining here. However, window opened and but I wouldn't close. I then turned on and off car multiple times while i tried to close. The window will close and then open on its own. It did that multiple times. so I kind of coordinated window closing and turning off car. Thank god as it is going to snow here tonight..I am afraid to touch it anymore. While I was turning on and off, I saw "check SRS system airbag" message.
I know I am not providing any useful information for you guys but I don't know what is happening.
I am hoping that this is battery problem only. would it hurt to attempt jump start?
Old 01-23-15, 05:20 PM
kulcool
Driver School Candidate

I will change battery(even though i don't exactly know the problem) if i can start the car and take it somewhere to get battery changed. I will attempt jump start tomorrow. I hope it starts car..Thanks a lot guys.
Old 01-23-15, 07:06 PM
raylor4
Instructor

I will change battery(even though i don't exactly know the problem) if i can start the car and take it somewhere to get battery changed. I will attempt jump start tomorrow. I hope it starts car..Thanks a lot guys.
AAA will check your battery and install a new one at your residence if you are a member. Not the cheapest, but very handy, especially in bad weather.
If not AAA member, do you have a friend that is mechanically inclined enough to drive you to Costco or equivalent, buy a battery for your car, install it, and take the old one back to Costco for core credit?
FWIW, it sounds like you have a dead cell in your battery which will give the battery enough power for some things, but not others, intermittently.
A tip for others: Another way to tell when your battery is getting low is that your headlights will dim when you are at a red light, or anytime you are at idle, and they brighten up when you step on the gas. This is a precursor to battery failure, but you are past that point now.
Be advised, for future reference, all things mechanical give a warning before they fail, so if something is squeaking, moaning, rattling, squirting, leaking when it shouldn't, have it looked at by an expert, not a friend who knows a little about cars.
Good luck.
Ray A.
Old 01-23-15, 07:14 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Look for BATTERY in the index at the back of your Owner's Manual. Look at "...discharged battery" and turn to that page. Mine is page 584 for 2011RX.
Anyway, follow the directions exactly in the sequence shown for a trouble-free jump start. There's a reason the final negative jump cable isn't to the weak battery, and there's a reason why the disconnect should be done in the reverse order.
Again, good luck.
Ray A.

Last edited by raylor4; 01-23-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 07:21 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Kuldeep, I wish it were under better circumstances but welcome to the forum. I'm going to go with what others have said and suggest the battery may be the culprit. Before you spend a lot of money on the battery though, can you check your CPO warranty to see if it's covered? If so and if you get someone to boost you (even the Lexus dealer if the battery is covered), then you can take it there to see what they can do for you. If it isn't under the CPO warranty then the suggestion someone already made of COSTCO is very good if you're a member. If not, then maybe National Tire & Battery.

Good luck and please check back with us to say what the outcome is.
Old 01-23-15, 09:38 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Cant you get a free jump by calling Lexus? Isn't that service part of the "certified" used designation.
Old 01-24-15, 07:29 AM
kulcool
Driver School Candidate

Thanks raylor4, Cruiter, Marqevans and everyone...
My car is running now..
Marqevans, I did call lexus and they send somebody for jump start and it started right away. I called them because I didn't know what the problem was and might need towing to dealer, but thankfully didn't need that..I love Lexus Roadside assistance.!!
The guy told me battery was the problem. I left car running for 30 minutes as he said. I then also got my battery checked at nearby autozone. It was showing 370 CCA but was charged 94%.
I think what happened is my steering wheel was locked in the beginning and then I kept trying to turn my car on and off multiple+multiple times, which drained battery..
Again Thanks a lot everyone.
Old 01-24-15, 07:46 AM
kulcool
Driver School Candidate

Cruiter, I am going to call my dealer about CPO warranty. Its still under 50,000 miles. I will find out whether they can replace or prorate the battery..For me, the battery is gone in like 9-10 months after purchase..will post what I found here.
Old 01-24-15, 08:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

kulcool, I'm glad you got the RX started with the help of Roadside Assistance. I hope the dealer replaces the battery since it's CPO. It's one of the things they're supposed to check during the inspection process. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 01-24-15, 10:38 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the update. Have a nice day and a nice
Cruiter, I am going to call my dealer about CPO warranty. Its still under 50,000 miles. I will find out whether they can replace or prorate the battery..For me, the battery is gone in like 9-10 months after purchase..will post what I found here.

Quick Reply: car not starting,,help pls..