RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buying final model year third generation RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 09:06 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying final model year third generation RX 350

I recently purchased a new 2015 RX 350 knowing the "4th generation" RX will be introduced this year. I did not hesitate knowing that, but rather I'm encouraged that all the bugs have been worked out in this 3rd generation RX, even the little things like squeaks and rattles. Personally I'd rather buy the final model year of the current gen. than the first model year of the new generation.

Any other thoughts on this?
Old 01-22-15, 09:32 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Unfortunately my 2015 has some annoying squeaks and rattles.
Old 01-22-15, 10:13 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you. Anytime there is a completely new model there is a greater chance for little (or big) things to go wrong. I took a chance getting the 2011 honda odyssey years ago right when it came out. One month in something had to be fixed, but no one (and I mean no one) had any of the new parts yet. Plus, completely new models that folks are excited about won't sell for less than MSRP. Look at the NX. I have heard you can get a loaded 2015 RX for almost the same price as a new NX, simply due to demand. If you want the refreshed model (2016), the best bet is to wait until the summer of 2016 when the 2017s come out. Or you could even find a CPO 2016 at a discount.
Old 01-22-15, 11:10 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I too prefer the final model year compared to the a brand new model..I prefer waiting until year two or three.
Old 01-22-15, 11:33 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some folks claim that this is less of an issue with highly reliable brands like Lexus. Regardless, I just ordered a new 2015 RX450h.
Old 01-22-15, 01:08 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Seems like it would be much more problematic on completely new models (ie. NX) than just a newer generation.
Old 01-22-15, 02:38 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Seems like it would be much more problematic on completely new models (ie. NX) than just a newer generation.
Good point!
Old 01-22-15, 03:28 PM
jsmchow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose it really depends on how long you plan to keep the vehicle. If you tend to switch it up every 4 years, then does it really matter?

But if you're looking to keep the car for a longer period say 6-10 yrs, then it would make more sense to wait until they've worked out all the minor problems. For this reason, I tend to buy the mid-generation-refresh model.
Old 01-23-15, 07:48 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdshaw
Unfortunately my 2015 has some annoying squeaks and rattles.
Mine too, driver belt unit rattling right by my left ear...not sure if I should let the dealer know, I'm 50/50 on them taking me seriously.
Old 01-23-15, 08:34 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by litzdog911
Some folks claim that this is less of an issue with highly reliable brands like Lexus. Regardless, I just ordered a new 2015 RX450h.
It may make sense to wait a bit but I personally would rather get the latest esp. from Toyota/Lexus. I got first year model 4GS and from what I've seen, it's been a solid car for most if not all owners here on CL. Once in awhile, we hear a problem here and there but really insignificant and isolated. Regardless, we too got a 15 RX not too long ago.
Old 01-23-15, 08:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm probably the exception here. I've had the first year of every generation RX since it came out in 1998. They have all been relatively trouble free. Only a few repairs towards the end and they were all covered under warranty. The only thing that 'bugged' me was missing out on bluetooth in the 330. Lexus didn't introduce it until the following year.

I'm looking forward to seeing the 4RX in New York and continue the tradition. Getting the final model year does not appeal to me at all.
Old 01-24-15, 01:22 PM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by litzdog911
I agree with you!

Novaman
Old 01-24-15, 02:16 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts
Wink

My heart usually says buy the 1st year of a new generation with the cool new toys and look, but my brain would tell me to buy the final production year of a generation. My father, who was a mechanic but would only endorse traditional American manufacturers, always said "never buy the first MY of a car model". Despite his counsel, by heart usually wins out. I know we aren't supposed to let car buying be an emotional experience, and I do think we plan out our purchases in such a way to limit emotion, but I still follow my heart.

Now with that said, we did buy the 2010 Prius - the first model year of that generation. We recently received a big check for the lawsuit that Toyota settled. I didn't know they ever proved the unintended acceleration but they settled the suit so that is as good as an admission of guilt in my mind. Would we have been better waiting for the first refresh - probably. Any problems or regrets with the 2010? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I think with all the product liability concerns and extensive testing that occurs today, I'm just not sure it matters any more. It is really pretty remarkable when you consider how complex a machine the modern automobile has become.
Old 01-24-15, 03:41 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
My heart usually says buy the 1st year of a new generation with the cool new toys and look, but my brain would tell me to buy the final production year of a generation. My father, who was a mechanic but would only endorse traditional American manufacturers, always said "never buy the first MY of a car model". Despite his counsel, by heart usually wins out. I know we aren't supposed to let car buying be an emotional experience, and I do think we plan out our purchases in such a way to limit emotion, but I still follow my heart.

Now with that said, we did buy the 2010 Prius - the first model year of that generation. We recently received a big check for the lawsuit that Toyota settled. I didn't know they ever proved the unintended acceleration but they settled the suit so that is as good as an admission of guilt in my mind. Would we have been better waiting for the first refresh - probably. Any problems or regrets with the 2010? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I think with all the product liability concerns and extensive testing that occurs today, I'm just not sure it matters any more. It is really pretty remarkable when you consider how complex a machine the modern automobile has become.
I think Detroit has dropped the ball. Extensive testing still doesn't result in a good unit from the domestics. The accounting dept. always wins out on the American cars and cheap outsourcing. I was a diehard GM fan because pops used to work for them. After buying a 2014 RX 350 I'll never go back. Why do you think parts for a Lexus is four times more than a lot of domestics?

I'm fed up with Detroit. Go lurk on some of the forums of the big 3 and see what problems they are having with their newer cars. I still like to buy at the end of a generation and closeouts at the end for some extra savings. Before I bought the RX I was looking at new Caddy's. It's unbelievable the problems they are having.
Old 01-24-15, 10:12 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

many moons ago, I was one of the very first to own a ficht (direct injection) outboard (made my omc, now backrupt). The motor was the next generation of outboards. Promised clean burn, fuel economy, etc......Then the problems started. Seems like everyone had problems. Blown up heads, lower unit problems, out of spec parts, etc...... This caused problems because word of mouth travels fast. Eventually OMC (outboard motor corporation) went bankrupt because of this problem.

I was thinking about buying a NX and also the first turbo in lexus linage, I decided it wasn't for me. I want reliability. I went with the RX. Wife is happy too since she drives it 99% of the time.

Last edited by kjang; 01-24-15 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying final model year third generation RX 350