RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus Virgin - Worry about accident?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 01:08 PM
Col
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Virgin - Worry about accident?

Fell in love when I test drove the RX350. I need help with which to buy both are 30K:

1) 2010 47K miles - LOADED + Heads up display - 1 recent front end accident (can't tell) with airbag deployed it is not certified because Lexus dealer can't certify anything with airbag deployment.

2) 2010 42K miles Base, leather nothing else. Clean Carfax, Certified

I want #1 but worried about accident. I can buy an aftermarket Lexus warranty not sure of the cost. Very reputable dealer I don't think they would have it on the lot if it was not ok

Would you worry about a front end accident?
Which would you buy?
Old 01-20-15, 01:15 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you really like #1, have it checked out somewhere else.
Make sure the airbags are checked as properly replaced and operational (they should be able to accomplish task with computer connection).
Ask for details on the repair.
Ask the dealer to pay for the warranty. Not sure you'd get that but won't for sure if you don't ask.

Good luck
Originally Posted by Col
Fell in love when I test drove the RX350. I need help with which to buy both are 30K:

1) 2010 47K miles - LOADED + Heads up display - 1 recent front end accident (can't tell) with airbag deployed it is not certified because Lexus dealer can't certify anything with airbag deployment.

I want #1 but worried about accident. I can buy an aftermarket Lexus warranty not sure of the cost. Very reputable dealer I don't think they would have it on the lot if it was not ok

Which would you buy?
Old 01-20-15, 01:35 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

IMHO, stay away from the accident one. They are never the same afterward. Plus, you'll keep wondering if it was put back together incorrectly.
Old 01-20-15, 01:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I too would stay away from the accident one. Shame it's loaded. Honestly if you don't have a pressing need for a new car right now, I'd give it some more time until another RX with more options and similar price/mileage becomes available. I personally like more loaded cars.
Old 01-20-15, 02:11 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I agree with vlad and Hoovey. Airbag deployment is more serious than a little bump in the parking lot. If no. 2 is not appealing because of lack of features, keep looking. You're bound to find another. Good luck.
Old 01-20-15, 02:52 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You should be able to smell whether the airbags were deployed. Speaking from experience, it is a smell that you will always remember, and is not a good smell. I would steer clear of that first one.
Old 01-20-15, 07:26 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

There's plenty of fish in the sea, no need to buy one thats been in an accident and you will hate yourself for getting one with zero options. Just keep looking and or wait a couple months. Good things happend to those who wait. Buying a car is a very big comitment especially when its a used one. The last thing you need is buyers remorse. Thats why i cant ever get myself to buy used and 9 times out of 10 end up buying brand new.
Old 01-21-15, 06:42 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

When we were shopping for our new RX, we found a used one at a Porsche store. Price was really attractive, very low mileage 2014. Thinking was why buy new when we can save $15 K. So we checked it out; drove well, seemed solid. Then I started to look closely and the car had been hit drivers side rear. The bumper cover and rear hatch/fender alignment was off. Paint matched perfectly. Started with a wee bit of overspray left on the hatch rubber gasket. Dealer then mentioned it had been hit and was in the $5K plus range according to carfax. They offered to fix it, align all the parts, etc. But we passed and bought a new one. If the deal is too good to be true, it is. Bottom line, once hit, always worth much less.
Old 01-21-15, 07:06 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with the others that suggested staying away from the RX that was in an accident. Especially a front end hit which caused the air bags to deploy.

If the base RX doesn't do it for you keep searching, I'm sure you'll find what you want. Good luck.
Old 01-21-15, 07:36 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JT4
I agree with the others that suggested staying away from the RX that was in an accident. Especially a front end hit which caused the air bags to deploy.

If the base RX doesn't do it for you keep searching, I'm sure you'll find what you want. Good luck.
I agree with this. Keep on shopping and be patient. The right one will come along.
Old 01-21-15, 08:31 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Col

Is there really such a thing as an RX with just leather and nothing else? Or do you mean premium package which includes leather, basic stereo, etc. but no navigation.

The real question is whether the extra stuff is worth anything. It is a fact that many people are not happy at all with the nav system and wish they would not have gotten it in the first place.
Old 01-21-15, 12:59 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Now that you had read all of the posts above, it should be clear that the resale value will suffer if you buy an accident vehicle. A very valid reason not to do it.
Old 01-21-15, 07:56 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by Col

Which would you buy?
Like most people already mentioned, stay away from #1. For #2, ask youself at what price would you buy #2 without hesitation or regret, then make that low ball offer and see if they bite. If no deal, then keep looking.....
Old 01-22-15, 06:40 AM
jsmchow
Driver School Candidate

Agreed, the airbag deployment indicates a fairly serious hit.

My wife got into an accident in our old Mazda3 when she was 6 months pregnant, the other car luckily braked hard enough and just in time to nudge Mazda's front corner bumper area, the airbag did not deploy. Nonetheless, the tire and bumper was damaged to the tune of $3200. It takes quite a bit of crumple to activate the bags, so imagine how much damage the RX suffered.

Wait it out, you'll find something soon enough.
Old 01-26-15, 06:54 AM
Col
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!!

I really appreciate everyone's comments yes we are going to pass on the one in the accident good advice. I understand about the navigation now I really wanted it and then I decided to put it to the test during a test drive. it was frustrating when you're used to using your iPhone and how easy it is to just asked to find a destination. I decided that I would probably end up using my iPhone more since it's faster and you can zoom in zoom out get the list etc.

Most of the base models I've seen have leather Bluetooth heated and cooled seats, any other extras people feel like they can't live without?

Quick Reply: Lexus Virgin - Worry about accident?