RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Garage Door Opener Tip (mini-mod)

Old 01-19-15, 05:02 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener Tip (mini-mod)

I too had trouble finding #1 button for the garage door opener at night.
I borrowed a design from the Highlander, which has small braille-like protrusions on the buttons. I affixed what my wife expertly calls a "Self-adhesive card-making dot embellishment" to the #1 button. Now, I just reach up to where I think the button is, and locate it easily with the raised dot. Works like a charm. #2 and #3 are just to the right of the dot, easily found by touch.
Here are two pix for your perusal. Ray A.

Old 01-20-15, 05:31 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ray, This has been an issue since the intro in 2010 of the Gen III models. As these cars are extremely high tech don't you know that an over simplified fix just isn't acceptable ???

Sorry, just had to have some fun here . You've just solved an issue that has plagued us for several years now with a really simple outside the box fix. Lexus actually did fit a tiny LED light up there that you can use your hand to reflect the light back to the buttons with but you also need really good night vision. Some folks have pulled the panel apart trying to find a way to back-light the buttons. Great Job .

Now in the vein of still having some fun LOL ...
Can you provide 'color by feel' buttons for folk with three different setups in their Homelink buttons for three different openers ???
Originally Posted by raylor4
I too had trouble finding #1 button for the garage door opener at night.
I borrowed a design from the Highlander, which has small braille-like protrusions on the buttons. I affixed what my wife expertly calls a "Self-adhesive card-making dot embellishment" to the #1 button. Now, I just reach up to where I think the button is, and locate it easily with the raised dot. Works like a charm. #2 and #3 are just to the right of the dot, easily found by touch.
Here are two pix for your perusal. Ray A.

Last edited by Cruiter; 01-20-15 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-20-15, 07:08 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Ray, This has been an issue since the intro in 2010 of the Gen III models. As these cars are extremely high tech don't you know that an over simplified fix just isn't acceptable ???

Sorry, just had to have some fun here . You've just solved an issue that has plagued us for several years now with a really simple outside the box fix. Lexus actually did fit a tiny LED light up there that you can use your hand to reflect the light back to the buttons with but you also need really good night vision. Some folks have pulled the panel apart trying to find a way to back-light the buttons. Great Job .

Can you provide 'color by feel' buttons for folk with three different setups in their Homelink buttons for three different openers ???
Jim,
The dot is Matador Red Mica, matching the exterior, therefore acceptable. : )
We could mod the mod by using two dots on the #2 button and three on the #3 ala Highlander, but as to 'color by feel', I think we'll leave that one to someone that does "Ted" lectures, or the Apple corporation. They seem to know everything.
Ray A.
Old 01-20-15, 07:21 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Love to see these simple home fixes.

Unfortunately I've never been able to get my homelink to work. So my remote attached to the visor is easy to find in the dark.
Old 01-20-15, 07:33 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

This is fantastic! Good work!
Old 01-20-15, 08:03 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. With the other option of holding your hand up there to reflect the LED light on it, you have to take your eyes off the road, which is a problem if you're still driving. This is brilliant in that you can reach up there and feel around. Not bad. Luckily Lexus has fixed this issue in the latest models where these buttons are on the mirror and backlit.
Old 01-20-15, 08:23 AM
CapSacto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go Ray!! I'm gunna buy some dots and finally fix this problem. Thanks!
Old 01-20-15, 01:55 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter

Perhaps you could find stickers in other shapes? Triangle? Square? Not positive it would work but it's a thought.
Old 01-20-15, 03:34 PM
Cruiter

I was joking of course, but his idea of 2 on #2 and 3 on #3 was pretty spot on
Originally Posted by klwagoner
Perhaps you could find stickers in other shapes? Triangle? Square? Not positive it would work but it's a thought.
Old 01-20-15, 06:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Ray, congrats, you just started your Build thread!
Old 01-20-15, 08:48 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Kimberly, my wife suggests crystal dots....ladies love bling.
I used the garage door opener tonight for the first time in the dark. I like the feel of the dot under my finger.

Perhaps you could find stickers in other shapes? Triangle? Square? Not positive it would work but it's a thought. Kimberly
Old 01-20-15, 08:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

If I bought a packet of dots, my dash would be covered in dots because I take my eyes off the road too often
Old 01-20-15, 08:59 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Love to see these simple home fixes.

Unfortunately I've never been able to get my homelink to work. So my remote attached to the visor is easy to find in the dark.
Hi Roger,
I'm sorry your homelink doesn't work. I remember reading here a while back that the directions that come with some garage door openers are incorrect or the directions in the Lexus manual are incorrect. I also remember reading that some garage door openers are not compatible with some Lexus models. Good luck.
I had trouble getting my Highlander to link up with my garage door opener, but perseverance and re-reading the instructions did the trick. Try Googling "How do I link _________ brand garage door opener with _______ year Lexus RX 350". I have great results with Googling questions. Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Old 01-21-15, 05:21 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

...and while this isn't new news, for those wanting to try a non-Lexus set of instructions how to connect their Homelink with most any supported device, IMHO, the Homelink site has a pretty good tool at the top of their homepage you may want to check out. (While it supports many other older models, for whatever reason, it only supports RX 2011-present.)
Old 01-21-15, 05:54 AM
Cruiter

Default Homelink made easy

Most Homelink setups are a two stage process now. 1st stage is holding your garage remote very close to your Homelink button and simultaneously pushing both buttons (remote and Homelink button) until the Homelink lights flash in pattern as written in your owners manual. Then climbing a stepladder (2nd stage) and pushing the required reset button in your garage door opener and getting to your car inside of 30 seconds to push your Homelink button (usually at least twice) until it controls the door. This procedure will work with most rolling code devices today and won't upset the Homelink already working in your other cars.

The 1st stage is to marry your garage remote to your Homelink. The 2nd state is to identify your Homelink to your garage door opener. Understanding the process should make it easier.

Last edited by Cruiter; 01-21-15 at 06:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Tip (mini-mod)