RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Park assist not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 09:29 PM
dubl59zy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park assist not working

Suddenly my 2010 RX350 no longer beeps when I get close to an obstacle. When going into the Park Assist control there are no longer any sensor symbols around the corners of the car.

What is going on?
Old 01-17-15, 04:54 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

dubl59zy, have you checked the sensors? PA won't work if they're dirty, damaged or frozen. It's supposed to warm up around here tomorrow so maybe clean them off today and see what happens. Good luck.
Old 01-17-15, 07:21 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts

I find the rear sensors don't sense as well as I'd like or think they should. Have a 2 door garage and when backing out, the rears never trigger, The fronts do as we pass the door jambs. My Focus sensors, in the other bay, trigger both front and rear. Had the Lexus into the dealership and they tell me all is well. Not convinced; have deliberately backed up close to other cars, viewing the camera of course, and the sensors have not triggered. Have played with the 2 position settings, etc., but I'm not convinced they work properly. They are clean and not frozen; it's warmed up here. Wondering what others have experienced.
Old 01-17-15, 11:41 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
I find the rear sensors don't sense as well as I'd like or think they should. Have a 2 door garage and when backing out, the rears never trigger, The fronts do as we pass the door jambs. My Focus sensors, in the other bay, trigger both front and rear. Had the Lexus into the dealership and they tell me all is well. Not convinced; have deliberately backed up close to other cars, viewing the camera of course, and the sensors have not triggered. Have played with the 2 position settings, etc., but I'm not convinced they work properly. They are clean and not frozen; it's warmed up here. Wondering what others have experienced.
I've had pretty good luck with what my 2013 RX can "see" in both the front and back (straight ahead). I would say though, as an object is more towards the side of the vehicle and I'm pulling up or back, if the sensor triggers, it tends to be at the last moment. Pictures in the owners manual confirm some of that if you've not seen them.

IMO, what is hard though is trying to compare different vehicles when it comes to what the sensors can detect. Not all front/rear sensors on every vehicle are physically the same, and they are not mounted in exactly the same location or angle ... meaning, how far and what range the combination of sensors can "see" will be different from brand-to-brand and model-to-model. E.g. on my 2013 RX, I've got nearly 5' straight back from my bumper, but only 18" towards the edges, and the height of what my RX sensors can see is very different than my much lower BMW used to be, or what my present even-lower SLK is. Because of it's nose design, my BMW had (large) blind spots in what it's front bumper sensors could see that drove me crazy; Fortunately my SLK is better in that regard, but with it's very low-to-the-ground nose, I can still damage the front end on a normal parking lot bumper by pulling in too far, and it's sensors will never go off because of their location higher up -- but if there is a bush or my garage door in front, the MBZ will do it's job every time. In other words, I can park one of my cars in the same location in my garage and one will trigger differently than the other, including when I'm pulling in or out. My RX450h is my 4th vehicle with parking sensors, and I just consider these sensors and their alarms one of the things I need to learn uniquely to each one as to how they do and don't do their job.