RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX 350 vs. 2015 Highlander Limited.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 08:29 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the info Marqevans. We currently have a 2010 RX and are now shopping for a 3-row SUV.

Just test drove the Highlander and really liked it. I thought it had good power for this class. Felt a tad faster than the Durango V6, and noticeably more powerful than the Enclave. Also felt easier to drive and more "carlike" than those 2 as well.

One concern I had was the positioning of the touchscreen. I'm tall so I had my seat pretty far back (and probably not perfectly adjusted), but it seemed a little distant for me. I didn't like the fact that it's centered on the console with no bias towards the driver. Also seemed to be angled upward without a screen shade. I read a few complaints about sun glare washing out the screen. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-04-15, 09:53 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RXinNJ
Thank you for the info Marqevans. We currently have a 2010 RX and are now shopping for a 3-row SUV.

Just test drove the Highlander and really liked it. I thought it had good power for this class. Felt a tad faster than the Durango V6, and noticeably more powerful than the Enclave. Also felt easier to drive and more "carlike" than those 2 as well.

One concern I had was the positioning of the touchscreen. I'm tall so I had my seat pretty far back (and probably not perfectly adjusted), but it seemed a little distant for me. I didn't like the fact that it's centered on the console with no bias towards the driver. Also seemed to be angled upward without a screen shade. I read a few complaints about sun glare washing out the screen. Any thoughts on this?
Have to agree with your concern about the Nav screen. Using the mouse on the RX is much easier. However I love the little shelf underneath with the wire pass through for cell phones, radar detector, etc.
Old 02-04-15, 10:39 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
Have to agree with your concern about the Nav screen. Using the mouse on the RX is much easier. However I love the little shelf underneath with the wire pass through for cell phones, radar detector, etc.
Thanks for the feedback. Have you had the sun glare "washout" as well?
Old 02-04-15, 12:32 PM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW we have a 2010 RX and a 2009 Highlander Limited, which was top of the line at the time except for the Hybrid.

Even back then it was almost a $10k difference in price apple to apples.

After owning them both for several years now I can honestly say I'm not sure the RX is worth the $10k premium over the Toyota.

As for warranty I don't think I ever used the factory warranty for either car. As expected both have been super-reliable.

I know the numbers don't show it but the the Highlander feels bigger and fits more stuff in the back. The RX feels smaller and more car-like. Though both have adequate power, neither one feels a sports car, that's for sure.

I could concievably see myself buying either one of these cars again and being happy with it. The problem is that both still run great so I don't see a reason to get rid of either!
Old 02-04-15, 03:15 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by ejm3
FWIW we have a 2010 RX and a 2009 Highlander Limited, which was top of the line at the time except for the Hybrid.

Even back then it was almost a $10k difference in price apple to apples.

After owning them both for several years now I can honestly say I'm not sure the RX is worth the $10k premium over the Toyota.

As for warranty I don't think I ever used the factory warranty for either car. As expected both have been super-reliable.

I know the numbers don't show it but the the Highlander feels bigger and fits more stuff in the back. The RX feels smaller and more car-like. Though both have adequate power, neither one feels a sports car, that's for sure.

I could concievably see myself buying either one of these cars again and being happy with it. The problem is that both still run great so I don't see a reason to get rid of either!
Good to hear about the reliability, but it makes me feel bad that I bought the $0 deductible warranty out to 7 years. LOL
Old 02-04-15, 03:20 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by RXinNJ
Thanks for the feedback. Have you had the sun glare "washout" as well?
I have noticed it somewhat compared to the RX. My main problem is touching the right button on the screen while the car is moving. The RX has the advantage of the recessed screen and the more accurate mouse.
Old 02-04-15, 05:44 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrazLex
Thanks for your points.
From them and from your rich comparison work I think it is fair to say:

1. Resale value (or residual) may be key to understand the real cost of ownership.
2. The 12 months of additional warranty favors the Lexus by itself - you get more protection - and suggests a better resale value. You may sell a three year old car with a 12 month warranty. That means $$$.

An extra comment: the loaner system is a strong pro for Lexus. It has different value for different contexts, of course (you may have more cars) but in my case, for instance, I really need one car and fully depend on it. So it is a loaner or Hertz...
One other thing in favor of Lexus is that my dealer offers free car washes from 10am to 4pm weekdays and on Saturdays I believe from 8am to 2pm including a free breakfast!
Old 02-04-15, 07:48 PM
BrazLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
Good to hear about the reliability, but it makes me feel bad that I bought the $0 deductible warranty out to 7 years. LOL
Well, I paid insurance my whole life. Never used...
Also, never had a MAJOR service expense.

But that is how it works,,,

My plan is to buy extended warranty forever. Not that expensive and may help reselling a lot (both in speed and value)
Old 02-05-15, 05:34 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I debated the warranty but I have enough experience with Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura that I'll roll the dice not getting the extended warranty and there's a good chance they won't let me down.

Even though its been fine so far when my BMW comes out of warranty in another year I'm not sure I'm willing to take the chance on that!

Also I should mention that gas mileage between the Highlander and RX is similiar, which is to say somewhat disappointing.
Old 02-05-15, 12:12 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by ejm3
I debated the warranty but I have enough experience with Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura that I'll roll the dice not getting the extended warranty and there's a good chance they won't let me down.

Even though its been fine so far when my BMW comes out of warranty in another year I'm not sure I'm willing to take the chance on that!

Also I should mention that gas mileage between the Highlander and RX is similiar, which is to say somewhat disappointing.

It just takes a lot of gas to move 2 tons!
Old 02-05-15, 03:51 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Three more things that are different on the Highlander are:

1) In addition to the convenient shelf that runs under the radio all the way to the passenger door, it has a sunglass holder above the mirror.

2) When you pull down the sunglass holder door there is a convex mirror so you can see why you are yelling at kids in the back seat!

3) Speaking of yelling at the kids, the Highlander lets you use the microphone to carry your voice over the radio speakers! Think of the joy your kids will have listening to you singing Kareoke!