RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX 350 vs. 2015 Highlander Limited.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 09:09 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 1101GS
I haven't seen you mention but I read somewhere Highlander Limited comes with RCTA and a better back up camera. Is that true? RCTA is one thing I think really useful. BTW, I think Toyota did a good job on the Highlander. Looks really nice for its group.
Your right, the back up camera seems more clear. It also has the guidlines. Not sure what "RCTA" is?
Old 01-23-15, 09:18 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Default 23,mzA=][p\as

A few more differences. My RX has mirrors that retract with a button or automatically when you shut off the car. The mirrors will also slant down when backing up, which is very helpful when parking. The Highlander Limited has neither of these features. On Toyotanation.com someone suggested that you could set one of the memory set positions with the mirrors slanted down and simply press memory 2 to move both mirrors. The problem is the Highlander only has 2 memory positions so with 2 drivers this is not practical. The RX has three memory positions but already has the mirror down feature.

Last edited by Marqevans; 01-23-15 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-25-15, 08:06 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Highlander limited is probably almost same price as an RX might aswell get the RX. When you take your vehicle to toyota for service no loaner if you take it to lexus free loaner
Old 01-26-15, 05:40 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
A few more differences. My RX has mirrors that retract with a button or automatically when you shut off the car. The mirrors will also slant down when backing up, which is very helpful when parking. The Highlander Limited has neither of these features. On Toyotanation.com someone suggested that you could set one of the memory set positions with the mirrors slanted down and simply press memory 2 to move both mirrors. The problem is the Highlander only has 2 memory positions so with 2 drivers this is not practical. The RX has three memory positions but already has the mirror down feature.
Highlander does not offer auto tilt-down on the mirrors when placed in reverse? Even our '13 Venza has this.
Old 01-27-15, 04:41 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by justin1203
Highlander does not offer auto tilt-down on the mirrors when placed in reverse? Even our '13 Venza has this.
No it does not, there is a thread on toyotanation.com about this. I have the limited and it does not have this feature.
Old 02-01-15, 05:44 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Any updates on comparing these two vehicles? Still would like to hear more thoughts on handling and comfort and smoothness of both vehicles. Which one is the better car for long distance travel if comfort is a priority.
Old 02-01-15, 07:02 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Any updates on comparing these two vehicles? Still would like to hear more thoughts on handling and comfort and smoothness of both vehicles. Which one is the better car for long distance travel if comfort is a priority.

Let's talk about comfort first. I find the Lexus seats to be slightly more comfortable. Another item is the seats and steering wheel automatically retract on the Lexus for easy exiting end entering. This feature is not available on the Highlander. As far as ride you definitely sit up higher in the Highlander. Visually it looks like the hood of the Highlander is 3 or 4 inches higher. I enjoy the different feel of the Highlander. It just feels like you are driving a bigger car. Keep in mind I have been driving RX's since April of 1998.

The steering feel is very similar in that there is a lot of power steering assist. I am not sure if it is because both cars have 19 inch wheels, but my RX seems to have more power assist than my 2012 had. My 2012 had 18" wheels though. Both cars come with blind spot monitors which is a wonderful safety feature. I have not driven the Highlander on a long trip yet, about the longest has been 1 hour and I was perfectly comfortable and it is a smooth ride.

The highlander's hatch back window opens which is a feature not on the RX. It also has an AC electrical outlet on the back of the floor console.

I have gone through about 40 pages of threads on toyotanation.com Highlander 3rd generation postings. Common complaints are the JBL stereo, operation of the rear door, and some sort of groaning engine noise at 1700 rpms. My experience has been the operation of the rear hatch is noisier than the RX and the stereo in the RX sounds better to me, but I am no audiophile. I have not experienced the engine groan. That's all I have for now.
Old 02-02-15, 05:06 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Marqevans for your time and energy giving us members reviews of your two vehicles. You are doing this forum a great service. Keep up the good work and hope we will see more info from you as you continue to evaluate both vehicles.

I wish I could buy both vehicles like you did that way I wouldnt need to pick and choose between the two. My wife wants a new CUV and currently owns a 2012 RX350 so trying to decide between another RX or New highlander or next gen RX.
Old 02-02-15, 05:46 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Thanks Marqevans for your time and energy giving us members reviews of your two vehicles. You are doing this forum a great service. Keep up the good work and hope we will see more info from you as you continue to evaluate both vehicles.

I wish I could buy both vehicles like you did that way I wouldnt need to pick and choose between the two. My wife wants a new CUV and currently owns a 2012 RX350 so trying to decide between another RX or New highlander or next gen RX.
Well having to get both was kind of the down side of leasing. We kept re-leasing RX's while hanging on to our Windstar for 15 years to avoid having two payments.

Last edited by Marqevans; 02-02-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-02-15, 11:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Informative post. We looked at the Highlander when we were in the market, but ended up deciding on the RX and have, so far, been elated with our choice (which isn't to say we wouldn't also be happy had we went for the Highlander).

Your right, the back up camera seems more clear. It also has the guidlines. Not sure what "RCTA" is?
RCTA is Rear Cross Traffic Alert. A very handy feature that I have on my IS and wish I had on my RX.
Old 02-02-15, 11:39 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
Informative post. We looked at the Highlander when we were in the market, but ended up deciding on the RX and have, so far, been elated with our choice (which isn't to say we wouldn't also be happy had we went for the Highlander).

RCTA is Rear Cross Traffic Alert. A very handy feature that I have on my IS and wish I had on my RX.
Oh, I know I have it on the Highlander. Will have to check it on the RX.
Old 02-02-15, 11:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Oh, I know I have it on the Highlander. Will have to check it on the RX.
Unfortunately RCTA is not available on the RX.
Old 02-03-15, 05:40 PM
BrazLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's 15 year old Ford Windstar was dying right when I was in the middle of leasing a 2015 RX 350. We purchased a 2015 Highlander Limited to replace it. So now I am in a position to compare the two as they were acquired a week a part. The Highlander list price was about $10,000 less than the RX. Both have 19 inch great looking wheels. Early impressions are that the Highlander Limited on the road is just as quiet as the RX. The Highlander comes with 2 years of free maintenance. The power rear door is much noisier than the RX. So much so that I am tempted to take it in and have it checked out. I have registered with toyotanation.com and apparently there are other people having problems. By the way clublexus.com from what I have seen is a much better website, both in content aand ease of use. That's all for now, but will follow up from time to time.
You mention a 10K difference. Is that an OTD difference?
Are the warranties the same?
Thanks!
Old 02-03-15, 07:56 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrazLex
You mention a 10K difference. Is that an OTD difference?
Are the warranties the same?
Thanks!

That was a list price difference. Th Highlander is a Limited without the tech package. The RX listed around $51,500. The out the door would have not been much different. I leased the Lexus though and bought the Highlander. The warranty is 48 months on the Lexus and 36 months on the Highlander.

Last edited by Marqevans; 02-03-15 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-04-15, 07:17 AM
BrazLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a list price difference. Th Highlander is a Limited without the tech package. The RX listed around $51,500. The out the door would have not been much different. I leased the Lexus though and bought the Highlander. The warranty is 48 months on the Lexus and 36 months on the Highlander.
Thanks for your points.
From them and from your rich comparison work I think it is fair to say:

1. Resale value (or residual) may be key to understand the real cost of ownership.
2. The 12 months of additional warranty favors the Lexus by itself - you get more protection - and suggests a better resale value. You may sell a three year old car with a 12 month warranty. That means $$$.

An extra comment: the loaner system is a strong pro for Lexus. It has different value for different contexts, of course (you may have more cars) but in my case, for instance, I really need one car and fully depend on it. So it is a loaner or Hertz...

Quick Reply: 2015 RX 350 vs. 2015 Highlander Limited.