RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Loaner car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 08:16 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjang
kmar, tell us how you like the body side molding. I am thinking about it also. Was it expensive for the part and the labor?
After its done, can you take a photo of it. Would love to see it.

thanks...
I know I'm taking this thread off course a bit, but here's the photo you asked for.
I think the body side moldings look great. Others think it breaks up the smooth lines of the side, but I think it adds a nice accent. Sorry about the reflection of my wife's red Mustang. Darn that high gloss clear coat on Lexus vehicles :-)

The dealer price was something like $330. That's ridiculous for installation of four pieces of plastic painted to match the car, but we got them to include them in the deal, after we arrived at the final price. You can also buy them online at Sewell Lexus Parts for about $135 plus shipping. One thing if you do it yourself. The instructions call for 3M prep solvent which can be purchased only in large quantity (gallon). It's used the clean the surface for good adhesion of the double stick tape that attaches the moldings. You can use isopropyl alcohol instead. You can download the installation instructions PDF on the Sewell parts website to have a look before you consider ordering.

(again to the moderator, sorry for taking this thread off topic)

Old 01-17-15, 08:59 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Based on my own experience, I'm not sure there is a consistent "policy" or practice. I have driven two different RXs over the past 11 years, all serviced by the only dealer within 350 miles. The only time I got a loaner was the initial visit with our 2013 to get the clear bra and paint protection applied. From what I have seen, they have a very small pool of loaners and only offer them for lengthy stays, and very likely on a first come first served basis at that.

It is unreasonable to think they would maintain a large pool of loaners and make them available for anything other than major repairs. We must remember, a dealership is a business and the dealer has to recoup the costs of any expenses, such as a loaner pool. Those costs will just be passed on to the consumer in the price of the car or repairs. I would rather they don't have any loaners and keep the door open for bargaining lower prices and/or keep their repair prices low.

Now with that said, I did like the loaner for getting to work quickly, and back to the dealer conveniently, rather than taking the local shuttle route. I did have to replace the gas so that required a visit to the gas station on the return. In the final analysis, it might not be worth the trouble for me since my office (and house for that matter) is only about 8 miles from the dealer and the shuttle is fairly convenient.
Old 01-17-15, 09:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Totally depends on the dealer. Here there are 7 Lexus dealers within a 45 minute drive, so competition for business has created very liberal loaner policies. I've had Lexus vehicles serviced at 4 of those 7, all of which would give a loaner for *any* service. Even just the 5k tire rotation service. One of the dealers which is one of the further ones away, offered to drive 40 miles each way to pick up and drop off my car and of course leave a loaner, just to get me to service it with them. I like that dealer a lot, but don't like the idea of some porter driving my car for 80 miles so I declined.

I would not use the dealer for service without a loaner. Not worth the cost.
Old 01-17-15, 10:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

kmar, I'm glad you were able to get a loaner easily. I think you meant to say it was a 450h. That's the hybrid version. BTW, the side door molding drops to $98 when you set up an account with Sewell. They're a CL sponsor. Besides the included instructions, we have other threads on how to install them. It's fairly straightforward.

The dealers also offer valet service. I've only taken advantage of it once when I had the headlights replaced on the 330 due to condensation. They brought a loaner to work, took my vehicle and brought it back before the end of the day. Most times though I've made the trip to the dealer myself, preferring not to have someone else drive my RX. I's definitely convenient if time is an issue.

Enjoy your RX.
Old 01-17-15, 06:21 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

2004 RX totalled. Getting a 2011 with the same dealer and they're giving me a loaner when the insurance stops paying for my rental car and while the 2011 is being prepped for delivery.

I've the nicest dealer.
Old 01-17-15, 07:25 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks KMAR regarding the photo and the side molding.
Old 01-18-15, 11:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

OP: as some have stated, it's up to the dealer. Mine asks me even for an oil change, but I've been with them for 8 years.