RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 09:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default My RX vs NX Ownership Detailed Comparison

For those interested, link to the detailed comparison here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...omparison.html

The following users liked this post:
RX10 (10-11-20)
Old 01-11-15, 05:46 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

...and it's worth the read for all those RX folks wondering what all the hubbub is about. Very well done.
Old 01-11-15, 08:22 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job corrado, for now I need the room / cargo size from my RX350, V6 engine with track records . will wait for second gen NX, hopefully have HUD in US market by then.
Old 01-11-15, 10:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by BertL
...and it's worth the read for all those RX folks wondering what all the hubbub is about. Very well done.

Originally Posted by vince22
Great job corrado, for now I need the room / cargo size from my RX350, V6 engine with track records . will wait for second gen NX, hopefully have HUD in US market by then.
RX is the champ here.
Old 01-11-15, 11:54 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Great comparison. Thanks for taking the time to give us all a list of things to consider.

Tough to decide which one is for me in a few months. Hopefully, the new 4RX will be released next week in Detroit. It should include all the electronics the NX has and more. I like bells and whistles and gadgets. The big kicker for me is how much the price will increase for the 4RX.
Old 01-11-15, 12:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Great comparison. Thanks for taking the time to give us all a list of things to consider.

Tough to decide which one is for me in a few months. Hopefully, the new 4RX will be released next week in Detroit. It should include all the electronics the NX has and more. I like bells and whistles and gadgets. The big kicker for me is how much the price will increase for the 4RX.
Based on how feature-rich and well-built the NX is over the 3RX, the 4RX will be even more luxurious and higher quality and I can't wait to (hopefully) see its unveil next week or two at Detroit!
Old 01-11-15, 09:10 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Yes, thank you for the detailed comparison. You are always a wealth of information. This gives those of us that might consider a move to the NX a lot to think about. There is much I like about the NX but probably not enough to move me from the very satisfying RX. It is clearly targeted at a little different audience and I just feel like my wife and I are more in the RX camp. Unbiased reviews like yours certainly help confirm that so thanks again.
Old 01-12-15, 04:31 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Excellent comparison corrado, thanks for posting this... This should be very helpful to those trying to decide between the two..
Old 01-12-15, 12:04 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great job, kudos for all your time and effort!
Old 01-12-15, 07:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Was fun writing it up!

As much as one is as objective as possible in illustrating how each of the two compare, in the end, how much of the decision in choosing one based on emotion?
Old 01-12-15, 10:39 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You for doing the write up comparison.
BEFORE the NX came out, I had high hopes that it will meet my needs.
I read everything and watch youtube video's of this NEW NX.

After seeing it, I found that the rear seating area / cargo area was too small for my needs.
Thus, I had no choice but to get the RX.

Wifey is now happy with her RX.
Old 01-13-15, 03:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by kjang
Thank You for doing the write up comparison.
BEFORE the NX came out, I had high hopes that it will meet my needs.
I read everything and watch youtube video's of this NEW NX.

After seeing it, I found that the rear seating area / cargo area was too small for my needs.
Thus, I had no choice but to get the RX.

Wifey is now happy with her RX.

Old 01-13-15, 04:12 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corrado's excellent review prompted a stop by the dealer today to check out the new nx. They had a white f sport in the showroom. I must admit I wanted to fall in love and trade mine in then and there. Love the styling and would have rationalized the better gas mileage as a good reason the lose lots of money on my current RX f sport. It was a very nice car, but way too small for me. It's not that I am carting around a ton of stuff or people on a daily basis but even getting in the front door felt cramped, and I am only 5'11, 160lbs. I really liked the fit and finish though so I can't wait for the next gen rx f sport. Hopefully it will have a boost in power and an adaptive suspension like the current gs f sport.

I will also say I hated the front seat bolsters..I didn't even drive it but knew it was a deal breaker right there. While they did a good job of making it more sporty (actually I thought it felt very much like a sports car) I have found that there is a fine line between sporty and uncomfortable. The seats reminded me of those found in the Honda S2000. They fit very well once you were in them, but you better hope you don't have to move around too much.

On a side note, one dig on the current RX f sport is that there weren't any performance upgrades to make the stiffer suspension "worth it" according to some reviewers. I kind of get that, though I think the way the f sport drives is substantially better than the non f sport version. But I see this point even more with the NX f sport...again I will admit that I haven't driven it yet. For me the less comfortable seats and more cramped interior would possibly be worth it if there was a twin turbo v-6 under the hood rather than a 4 cyclinder. The ergonomics, fit and finish, and styling says sub 5 second 0-60. In fact I thought the interior was similar to the porsche macan....in a very good way

I guess I should probably drive the thing first, though, before being so opinionated.
Old 01-14-15, 02:03 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent comparison Corrado!

The one mode that the rx fsport is lacking and should have been there in the first place to be called a fsport model is the switch/functionality that changes from eco-normal-sport-sport+. I personally feel designating a Lexus fsport model is misleading and false advertising without this mode.

I've driven the new is350. in the default eco mode it's boring but when switched to the sport mode it became alive and is much more engaging to drive. To me it's the "fun" factor Lexus NEVER had until now!
Old 01-14-15, 05:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I will also say I hated the front seat bolsters..I didn't even drive it but knew it was a deal breaker right there. While they did a good job of making it more sporty (actually I thought it felt very much like a sports car) I have found that there is a fine line between sporty and uncomfortable. The seats reminded me of those found in the Honda S2000. They fit very well once you were in them, but you better hope you don't have to move around too much.

I guess I should probably drive the thing first, though, before being so opinionated.
Understandably, first impressions count heavily on the decision making process and indeed, the seat bolsters are intrusive as the foam is stiff, but they otherwise fit like a glove. Perhaps like a quality glove, it needs to take shape and wear in.

Originally Posted by sc400
Excellent comparison Corrado!

The one mode that the rx fsport is lacking and should have been there in the first place to be called a fsport model is the switch/functionality that changes from eco-normal-sport-sport+. I personally feel designating a Lexus fsport model is misleading and false advertising without this mode.

I've driven the new is350. in the default eco mode it's boring but when switched to the sport mode it became alive and is much more engaging to drive. To me it's the "fun" factor Lexus NEVER had until now!
Totally agree and we can expect this in the next RX. However, when engaging "M-mode" on the RX F Sport, there was a slight difference in throttle/fuel mapping to make it a tad more responsive at the expense of slightly more fuel of course.