RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is the F-Sport worth the premium over the regular RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 06:26 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the F-Sport worth the premium over the regular RX?

I currently have an 05 RX330 and she has been good to me. However she has developed too many rattles and creaks, and it is nearing 10 years old. I was looking at the X6 very hard as I just love the brute shape of it etc but the gas mileage is pretty poor and the reliability factor worries me with German cars. Not that they are terrible but things seem to go bad a little more frequently than the Japanese cars I have owned. I have owned a few Germans and the experience was not the best. However all the Japanese vehicles have been dead reliable including old girl RX330.

For that reason I want to go back with Lexus and I really like the front of the F-Sport much better than the regular 3rd Gen RX's. I would really love to have a black one with the red interior I saw some pics of...Any pros or cons I should know about the F-Sports vs the regular RX? Anyone went from RX to X6/X5 or vice versa? Not ready at the moment but will be in the summer. Just gathering info before I make my decision.
Old 01-09-15, 06:56 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Personally, I typically have a hard time paying for packages like the FSport, since they really are almost all for the sake of appearance. However, I just bought a CT FSport for the same reason you're looking at the RX FSport. I really preferred the appearance of the front end. The shocks are a little more firm on both cars, from what I've read, but it really doesn't seem to be a significant difference to me and it contributed little to my decision making process. If it had ANY impact, it would have been a positive anyway. Other RX owners might not like the extra firmness of the FSport. The ride of our 2013 RX NON FSport is terrific, but a little more firmness would't bother me in any way. One other thing, though. There are changes to the interior trim that might make a difference to you.

In the end it's personal preference, but I really like the appearance of the Lexus FSport packages. I clearly think it's worth the cost (my wife MIGHT disagree), and the downsides seem to be very limited.
Old 01-09-15, 08:31 AM
TominBoise
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We purchased a 15 350 f sport black with cabernet interior 2 months ago and love it. We test drove a regular 350 and the f sport and the f sport does have a little firmer ride but not much. With the f sport you also get the 8 speed transmission. I am not sure how much more the f sport is if you compare it to a regular 350 equipped with the same options. I like the looks of the f sport better so that is what we went with and do not regret it.
Old 01-09-15, 09:44 AM
jsmchow
Driver School Candidate

.. same, we bought a 13 fsport, after one of my coworkers bought a new 15 fsport. IMO it feels more stable and car-like than the non-fsport model.
Old 01-09-15, 11:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

OP: Do you value ultimate ride comfort or a small compromise is fine?
Old 01-09-15, 12:14 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

By my calculation, the F-Sport was about the same price in a feature to feature comparison with the regular RX. However, it has a better gearbox and VDIM. The last two make it worthwhile giving a serious consideration.
Old 01-09-15, 01:01 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I think the F Sport is worth the additional dollars based just on looks alone, especially the F Sport exclusive cabernet interior. However, it's more than just cosmetics.

It comes with an 8 speed trans with paddle shifters instead of a 6 speed. It comes with 19" wheels, sport tuned shocks, front and rear stabilizer bars and performance dampers. And don't forget that the F Sport comes standard with AWD so that is a good part of the added premium in price.

While it handles much better than a regular RX it also rides firmer. So make sure you take it on an extended test drive, a 10 min test drive won't do it because the F Sport isn't for everyone. To me the tradeoff in ride for the better handling is well worth it. If the RX didnt come with the F Sport package my wife wouldn't be driving an RX, that is how much she likes the F Sport.

You mentioned German cars, and as you I have owned a few. Both ML350's a 2011 and 2012 and while I hate to "never say never" I will say that it's HIGHLY unlikely I would buy an MB again..

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by JT4; 01-09-15 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 01:07 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

f-sport has the more aggressive looking spindle grill (i like)
the suspension is suppose to be firmer, when I drove it, it was a little firmer.
8 speed transmission (first year out was 2013).
bigger rims

to me, it wasn't worth the extra dollars. Thats just my opinion.
go ride one. compare the ride. Then go do the math.
Is it worth it to you? Thats the most important thing... Its YOU.

Last edited by kjang; 01-09-15 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-10-15, 03:29 PM
gnhumad
Driver School Candidate

The F Sport has a stiff ride that can get a little harsh on some rough city streets. So if you do a lot of that type of driving. A long test drive is in order. On the interstate at 80+ mph it rides and handles wonderful. I think the 19" tire may be partially to blame for the harsh ride at slower speeds on rough city streets. The handling seems much improved over the standard RX to me. You can drive it around corners and tight curves faster with a higher level of confidence.
Old 01-12-15, 01:52 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said, what something is worth can only be decided by you.

For me, when I drove the non-F sport and F sport versions back to back, I could tell a huge difference in how the two cars drove....I MUCH preferred the F sport version. The 8 gears provided more responsive acceleration, the firmer suspension made a significant difference in handling, and the dampeners (IMO) significantly improved the ride over the base model. I also liked the paddle shifters, which I used every day in normal driving. I also preferred the styling. (I wouldn't have considered getting a non-F sport version based on styling alone, actually)

This expensive of a car is a huge economic undertaking (well, for me it was). So make sure you drive the two versions (and any other cars you might like) multiple times before signing the dotted line.
Old 01-15-15, 01:05 PM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO yes! but you have to drive them for yourself,
Old 01-15-15, 02:12 PM
krismorr8
Driver School Candidate

Definitely try them both, but if price is reasonable, I didn't find the extra firmness mentioned above to be an issue at all, and if looks matter to you, go for the f-sport!
Old 01-15-15, 07:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Reasons why I bought the F-Sport, in order of high to low importance:

1. The exterior: more aggressive sportier front-end/taller more prominent spindle grille, and 19" gray wheels.
2. The F-Sport brand in general and exclusivity on the RX.
3. Paddle Shifters and 8-speed automatic.
4. Near-flat cornering.
5. ML, Wallet key card, HUD, and VDIM were nice tech I appreciated and used.

For the first two alone, it was "Worth it" for me, though nothing logical or objective about it - purely an emotional decision. It was "I just had to have it" decision.
Old 01-16-15, 05:22 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Thanks for all your replies. I was already leaning towards the Lexus as reliability is the most important thing for me then looks. I really really like the F-Sport grill much better than the regular models. So they all come with ML stereo etc or is it a model that has to be optioned with that?

My mind is made up and F-Sport it is. Just hope I can find one in my price range and in my color combo when I start shopping in a few months. Going for low mileage CPO. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-15, 08:06 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERO5RX330
Thanks for all your replies. I was already leaning towards the Lexus as reliability is the most important thing for me then looks. I really really like the F-Sport grill much better than the regular models. So they all come with ML stereo etc or is it a model that has to be optioned with that?

My mind is made up and F-Sport it is. Just hope I can find one in my price range and in my color combo when I start shopping in a few months. Going for low mileage CPO. Thanks again.
ML is optional..

Quick Reply: Is the F-Sport worth the premium over the regular RX?