Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

7-pin trailer connector on RX350/450 ?

Old 01-08-15, 01:08 AM   #1
crapmaster
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default 7-pin trailer connector on RX350/450 ?

I have a 2012 RX450h with a Curt hitch wired for 4-pin flat connector. I'm looking to buy a lightweight travel trailer, which would require a 7-pin trailer connector. There are converter kits that use the existing 4-pin connector with a 7-pin connector. I did some searches on the forums, but didn't find anyone actually having done that. I'm interested in both the mechanical and electrical connections of the 7-pin connector. Since the battery is in the trunk on 450h, the wiring "should" be fairly straight forward.

Anybody done this ? Any help and tips would be appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
crapmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 09:27 AM   #2
Clutchless
Pole Position

I have the Curt on my RX350 that has the towing package.
So the converter kit of 4 to 7 is not plug and play? Is this it? Does not appear too difficult to wire up.

I see other variations on their site http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/30717.html

I recall the Lexus 4 pin connector harness plugs into another plug up under the rear bumper. Not sure how many pins that has. I think this is pretty standard as my old Ford Explorer had the same arrangement. Wonder if it has 7 pins....probably not or would not need the adaptor.

Last edited by Clutchless; 01-08-15 at 09:39 AM..
Clutchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 09:39 AM   #3
crapmaster
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchless View Post
I have the Curt on my RX350 that has the towing package.
So the converter kit of 4 to 7 is not plug and play? It does not sound like much of a kit if you have to wire it to the battery when you already have the 4 pin connector. I recall the 4 pin connector harness plugs into another plug up under the rear bumper. Not sure how many pins that has. I think this is pretty standard as my old Ford Explorer had the same arrangement.
Based on the little research I did, those conversion kits (e.g. http://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.html) have a mating 4-pin connector for the existing trailer connector, but in addition there are 4 new wires for ground, 12V to the battery, brake signal to the brake controller and reverse light signal, that need to be individually connected on the car side.

The RX has a 4-pin wiring harness under the rear bumper, which works great for the 4-pin connector, but like said, those additional wires need to be individually connected. For 450, battery is in the trunk, which makes things little easier, but I'm curious how people have pulled the brake controller signal to the front of the cabin. Also curious how people have mechanically attached the 7-pin round connector, just screwed to the bumper ?
Old 01-08-15, 09:45 AM   #4
Clutchless
Pole Position

I would rather screw it into the hitch as it is more secure than the urethane bumper cover. Harder to drill though.
Old 01-08-15, 11:37 AM   #5
Tom558
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapmaster View Post
...I'm looking to buy a lightweight travel trailer...
I'm interested in the trailer you are considering. I tease my wife about this, but there really are areas I'd like to visit that don't have motels. :-)

Mine = 2012 Kia Sportage ~ Pretty Basic

Hell, if I could explain it to the average person, it wouldn't have been worth the Nobel prize. Richard Feynman
Tom558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 12:52 PM   #6
crapmaster
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom558 View Post
I'm interested in the trailer you are considering. I tease my wife about this, but there really are areas I'd like to visit that don't have motels. :-)
Exactly! Have you found anything interesting ?
Old 01-08-15, 01:39 PM   #7
Tom558
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapmaster View Post
Exactly! Have you found anything interesting ?
The little bit I have looked it seems like anything more than a pop-up tent gets up toward the towing weight limit. Maybe we should visit ALL the places that do have motels and move on from there.

Mine = 2012 Kia Sportage ~ Pretty Basic

Hell, if I could explain it to the average person, it wouldn't have been worth the Nobel prize. Richard Feynman
Tom558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 12:03 PM   #8
Clutchless
Pole Position

I only pull my converted jet ski trailer to carry my kayaks. It plugs right in! I bet the whole thing loaded with 3 kayaks weighs less than 500 pounds.
Old 01-09-15, 12:03 PM