RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Review of Meteo LED taillights for 10-15 RX

Old 01-07-15, 07:43 PM
titomang
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Review of Meteo LED taillights for 10-15 RX

Our family hauler is a 2011 RX 350 and one thing I didn’t like about the RX was the taillight (it looks to “altezzaish” to me). I originally wanted to get the 2013+ taillights, but they were too pricey and the change wasn’t that significant. My search continued and I finally ran into Meteo aftermarket taillights from Japan. I love the way they look when I first saw them. I’ve searched CL and nothing came up about anyone having them, so I was hesitant to purchase them and trying them out for myself. I finally decided to jump the gun and ordered them.

Product overview:

- Classic red/white design (comes in chrome or smoke also)

- LED brake light , amber LED turn signal light, white/bluish LED reverse light, tubular LED tail light.

- Comes with warranty but don’t know how long

- Plug and play design

- $355 shipped to US

- Link: http://www.thespeedline.com/2009-lex...lamp-red-lens/

Shipping:

I placed an order on 12/8/14 and received the item on 12/15/14. It took only a week for Speedline to process the order and ship the item from Taiwan to the US, so I was pretty satisfied with the turnaround time. When I opened the box, the packaging was well done to prevent damage during the shipping process. The taillights look even better in person compared to the pictures.

Installation:

The item came with installation instructions with pictures, but in some areas it wasn’t clear so I had to go in blind. Everything is pretty much plug and play as mentioned earlier, there’s one part of the installation where you have to tap into the high mount brake light. You don’t cut anything as they provide a wire tap clip. For the outer taillights, there’s nothing that needs to removed besides the screw cover and popping out a panel half way then removing x3 10mm bolts.

The inner taillights are tricky as you have to remove all the trunk panel and surrounding trunk trims to get access to the taillights and third mount brake light plug. There are 4 bolts total on the inner lights, but you need to remove an outer trim (x2 8 mm screw) to get access to the outside bolts of the taillights. The trunk panel is held by x2 10mm bolts and tons of clips. You have to unplug the power liftgate switch and the courtesy light to free the panel. The surrounding trunk trims are held by clips, so you just use a trim removal tool to get the panel loose. Overall the installation took me about 1.5 hours. I would rate the difficulty level at a 5/10.

Review:

The fitment is pretty good for an aftermarket part, I would rate it a 9/10. You have to adjust the taillights to the position you want and have someone hold it in place while you tighten the bolts. I found this was the best way to prevent uneven gaps. I mentioned the taillights look good in person, but they look great once installed. Once they were lit up at night, it just look badass. The tubular LED taillight was pretty much the showstopper. Everything works as it should and I am very satisfied that I made this purchase.

Funny story, after the install around 7pm I barely drove 10 minutes to pick up my daughter. I noticed a guy tailgating me and as we come up to the stop light, he pulls to the right and ask me how did I mod the taillights to be like that since he his brother has an RX as well. I told him it was an aftermarket taillight and he asked me where I got it from, so that’s why decided to share the info here on CL and gave my review of it.

Here are some pictures and videos of it on the car:

Old 01-08-15, 08:48 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

Looks great on your white RX.
Old 01-08-15, 11:39 AM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd still prefer my '13 taillights but thanks for sharing. I'm sure other members would benefit from this.

Old 01-08-15, 03:48 PM
jsmchow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what color are the L/R signal lights?

how bright are the reverse lights?
Old 01-08-15, 04:23 PM
titomang
Rookie

Originally Posted by jsmchow
what color are the L/R signal lights?

how bright are the reverse lights?
Take a look at the youtube video I posted. It's Amber/Orange. I would say the brightness of the reverse lights would be between stock and high power LEDs
Old 01-09-15, 01:00 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for posting this mod ... very cool. Definitely a big change for a small investment.
Old 01-09-15, 01:04 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like them..how much are the 2013 led tail lights?
Old 01-09-15, 01:10 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
I like them..how much are the 2013 led tail lights?
Click on link in opening post. It will take you to the product page where you can place an order.
Old 01-09-15, 01:22 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
Click on link in opening post. It will take you to the product page where you can place an order.
The OEM lights not these.
Old 01-09-15, 05:16 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

it looks to “altezzaish” to me

What does that mean? Too much chrome?
Old 01-09-15, 06:52 AM
titomang
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
The OEM lights not these.
The 2013+ lights are around $800 from Sewell Lexus.

Originally Posted by rogerh00
it looks to “altezzaish” to me

What does that mean? Too much chrome?
Basically cleared lights or chrome as you mentioned. Back in the early 2000s it was very popular among the import crowd. I guess another word for them would be Euro lights.
Old 01-13-15, 08:18 AM
mohrd
Driver

titomang, how did you find the fit/quality for water tightness, etc?
Old 01-13-15, 10:20 AM
titomang
Rookie

Originally Posted by mohrd
titomang, how did you find the fit/quality for water tightness, etc?
There were no signs of leakage from my recent car wash and going through a 3 day storm so that's a good sign. The seals and padding on the back of the taillights are identical to the OEM ones.

Like I mentioned before, you have to get the perfect fit and then have someone hold it while you tighten it. This will prevent uneven gaps.
Old 01-13-15, 01:17 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great! Awesome review and write up.
Old 02-02-15, 05:08 PM
mohrd
Driver

Got the red ones and they look fabulous on my obsidian RX. Much better than the factory "clear" ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review of Meteo LED taillights for 10-15 RX