RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

is there a thread here documenting common 3rd generation issues/problems?

Old 01-06-15, 11:37 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default is there a thread here documenting common 3rd generation issues/problems?

It's been 5 years since the 3rd generation RX came out. Is there a thread here with people detailing the most common issues/problems that have occurred since 2010?
Old 01-07-15, 10:46 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Probably somewhere.

Our front end sounds horrific when driving over uneven roads. Steering wheel shakes and just doesn't feel solid. It's not a balancing issue, as it is much more pronounced in very low speeds, ie pulling out of our driveway. The dealer can't seem to reproduce the problem.

That's a crock of s--- But of course now it's not under warranty so we'll see what they recommend for the 60K mile check-up.
Old 01-07-15, 04:57 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Abuse & negligence issues aside I believe Chapter 1 will begin with wording similar to " Leaking Rear Shocks".
Chapter 2 will start with "Dunlop tires........."
Easy fixes & believe for the most part owners have been well taken care of.
Old 01-08-15, 08:49 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

Intermediate steering column shaft TSB. It is linked in some other post.
Old 01-08-15, 02:45 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Intermediate steering column shaft TSB. It is linked in some other post.
Car has 55K miles and out of warranty. Do they still apply that TSB for free in our case?

I guess what chaps my *** is they should have known there was a TSB addressing this issue. #madface
Old 01-08-15, 06:34 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not quite sure what you want to see, but the reality is (even tho it's a car and some have had some issues) the people that have the 3rd Gen tend to either keep it or get another. Not everyone of course, but it's got a real high loyalty going. Several on here with multiple Gen III purchases. There were some TSB's early on to fix the brake pedal, replace the steering shaft if you had a bad one, an occasional shock replacement but overall it's screwed together pretty well and has had a great run. One can only expect the Gen IV will come out of the gates running just as hard.
Originally Posted by jwigley
It's been 5 years since the 3rd generation RX came out. Is there a thread here with people detailing the most common issues/problems that have occurred since 2010?
Old 01-09-15, 12:32 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, there has NOT been a common electrical or mechanical problem with the car. But, one common irritation has been noises and rattles. There are several threads that go through and suggest various causes and cures for these problems. I do not feel that a car in price range should have this class of problems and it would be the first thing that I will look for when test driving any future Lexus vehicle I am considering purchasing. I eventually chased down and eliminated them, but most people may not had the patience or knowledge to find and fix them.
Old 01-09-15, 07:20 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

You can search here for Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) also Recalls and complaints
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/
Old 01-11-15, 06:21 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

So I have it stated in our service history that I have complained twice about the steering column issue...to which "couldn't replicate the condition...". Now of course, the vehicle is out of warranty. Anyone think I have a case of getting this fixed at no cost to me? I'm not paying $2,700 for this when I told them it was making noise and there is a TSB (that I was not aware of) that clearly fixes this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-15, 06:41 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd give it a try if it's listed in your record. Get a copy of the TSB and go back to your dealer with it and your record of having asked when it was under warranty. Certainly worth the effort I think.
Originally Posted by jtrue28
So I have it stated in our service history that I have complained twice about the steering column issue...to which "couldn't replicate the condition...". Now of course, the vehicle is out of warranty. Anyone think I have a case of getting this fixed at no cost to me? I'm not paying $2,700 for this when I told them it was making noise and there is a TSB (that I was not aware of) that clearly fixes this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-15, 06:50 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the steering shaft issue. My wifes has an issue with the steering column when it goes up to let you sit down it squeaks when you get in close door steering wheel goes down and squeaks. Same thing?
Old 01-12-15, 05:49 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

This issue deals with rattles and shaking of the steering wheel/column at low speeds when driving over bumpy surfaces. I hear/feel it every time we back out of our driveway.

It only applies to 2010/2011 models. I can't find the actual TSB printout, if anyone has that handy. Thanks

The TSB number is LSB-0026-11
Old 01-13-15, 09:34 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Called my dealer...once they knew how many miles the vehicle now has...."you'll need to call Lexus Corporate..."

Called Lexus Corporate. I gave the lady that TSB/LSB...couldn't find it under my VIN#. Then after asking me what the problem I'm having, she was able to find it. It even had the same LSB# that I gave to her to search for....imagine that.

She was having trouble getting hold of the appropriate people to give her direction on what to do, so she will call me back by the end of today (1/13/15).

UPDATE: Lady actually called back pretty quick. However, this was just to tell me that my case has been assigned to a "case worker" and that I would get a call from them within 2 business days.

Last edited by jtrue28; 01-13-15 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 01:22 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Called my dealer...once they knew how many miles the vehicle now has...."you'll need to call Lexus Corporate..."

Called Lexus Corporate. I gave the lady that TSB/LSB...couldn't find it under my VIN#. Then after asking me what the problem I'm having, she was able to find it. It even had the same LSB# that I gave to her to search for....imagine that.

She was having trouble getting hold of the appropriate people to give her direction on what to do, so she will call me back by the end of today (1/13/15).

UPDATE: Lady actually called back pretty quick. However, this was just to tell me that my case has been assigned to a "case worker" and that I would get a call from them within 2 business days.
When I was told that on an issue, the case worker called me within a couple hours. Best of luck to you!
Old 01-13-15, 01:23 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steveo55
Whats the steering shaft issue. My wifes has an issue with the steering column when it goes up to let you sit down it squeaks when you get in close door steering wheel goes down and squeaks. Same thing?
My steering column squeaked too when I first got it (7,500 miles). Somewhere along the way it just stopped doing it. I've never had any other problem with the steering column.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is there a thread here documenting common 3rd generation issues/problems?