Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

HELP - Major RX450h Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 09:39 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HELP - Major RX450h Issue

Long story short, I went on holiday for 3 weeks and just got back today. I was worried about the battery but the car starts and runs. It is parked in a garage with the front facing the back of the garage.

Problems -

1) Car doesn't reverse even though parking brake is off and the back of the car rises like its about to pounce

2) Car doesnt go forward and the front rises like its going to pounce but doesnt go anywhere

3 - Called Lexus roadside assistance who sent the AA bloke who was there for a good 2 hours. He thought it was the rear brakes stuck. He jacked up the car and hit the drum with a mallet and eventually concluded its not the brakes as there's about 0.5-1 inch turn in both rear wheels.

So here I am, stuck with my beloved Lexus that can't move out of the garage - any suggestions or ideas please? Would really appreciate it. Car is still under warranty until June 2015.

The AA bloke reckons the rear wheels are locked but no idea on why as he came to the conclusion that the brakes are not stuck because the wheels move slightly

Another issue is that the AA bloke said it'd be difficult to get a big truck into my drive so no idea on how to take it out
Old 01-06-15, 10:53 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Your e-brake is frozen.
Let me find a thread with other members having this problem.

Got it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...locked-up.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...010rx450h.html

Last edited by vlad_a; 01-06-15 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-06-15, 11:14 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with vlad_a what you problem likely is -- you'll see in those threads one way to solve it. Worst case, call your dealer and talk to a service advisor -- explain you've had roadside assistance come out and I bet they will talk you through what to do over the phone. They at least know their product.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.
Old 01-06-15, 11:29 AM
kornpeef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the battery. the small battery under the hood. it has enough power to run the electronics but not enough to start the vehicle.
Old 01-06-15, 12:19 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In agreement with the parking brake being the culprit. Let us know what you find out. If I remember correctly, it's the center hub parking brake on the rear wheels.
Old 01-06-15, 01:03 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes, that sounds exactly like what happens to me after washing the RXh in the winter, especially the stuck end rising up. It's always the rear BTW. I'll reverse/put it in drive a few times. Light on the gas. I hear a loud clunk when it releases. There's been no harm done. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-06-15, 05:33 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kornpeef
its the battery. the small battery under the hood. it has enough power to run the electronics but not enough to start the vehicle.
OP said "The car starts and runs."
Old 01-07-15, 01:47 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Yes, that sounds exactly like what happens to me after washing the RXh in the winter, especially the stuck end rising up. It's always the rear BTW. I'll reverse/put it in drive a few times. Light on the gas. I hear a loud clunk when it releases. There's been no harm done. Good luck and keep us posted.
I did wash the car before leaving it to stand but Ive done that every year :P and its garaged too so cant see how it got that cold!

OK i'll keep trying and hopefully itll release
Old 01-07-15, 02:45 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Update - tow truck arrived. It was huge - like a long lorry. Needless to say, it didnt fit up my drive so they have called a smaller one which will arrive in approximately 15 minutes.

I managed to give the car some welly and half of it came out of the garage shredding up the paint on the concrete floor on the rears. Fronts are moving fine. The plan is to put a piece of plastic on both rears and winch it onto the smaller truck with the front rolling freely until all 4 wheels are on the truck. Then to Lexus bradford it will go!

Hopefully the smaller truck fits in my drive! will keep you updated.
Old 01-07-15, 05:24 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

The small truck managed to get through my drive with a good 2 feet on each side!

The car is going to Lexus Bradford as we speak and hopefully they'll call me and tell me what they plan on doing

Old 01-07-15, 05:27 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck!
Old 01-07-15, 06:21 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Good luck, mate! Keep us posted.
Old 01-07-15, 05:04 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Frozen as in cold or frozen as in rusted?

Last edited by DunWkg; 01-07-15 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-08-15, 08:00 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait. Is that an F Sport Hybrid?? I've never seen one before! That's awesome! Hopefully it's nothing major wrong with it. And sorry to hear about your garage floor
Old 01-08-15, 08:15 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sick21
Wait. Is that an F Sport Hybrid?? I've never seen one before! That's awesome! Hopefully it's nothing major wrong with it. And sorry to hear about your garage floor
And you won't see one around unless you go across Atlantic.

Quick Reply: HELP - Major RX450h Issue