RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Auto Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 09:32 AM
rickchen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Headlight Issue

When I go through a tunnel or under a bridge with my headlights on the Auto setting the lights will turn on, but wont turn themselves back off when it is no longer dark. Does anyone have any input on this?
Old 01-06-15, 11:23 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Unsure what model year and options you own to be more specific, but there are a couple Customization options you can most likely change on your RX. Check your Owner's Manual under "Customization" and you'll see there are two Auto Light Control System options that you may need to tweak: "Time elapsed before headlights turn off" and "Light sensor sensitivity". If your lights never go off by themselves, I bet the first option is somehow "OFF"...

I'm thankful a Lexus has those options as my MBZ does not, and my headlights are some of the last on the highway to go off as sunrise happens each morning (at least they go off!).
Old 01-06-15, 11:44 AM
rickchen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
Welcome to the forum.

Unsure what model year and options you own to be more specific, but there are a couple Customization options you can most likely change on your RX. Check your Owner's Manual under "Customization" and you'll see there are two Auto Light Control System options that you may need to tweak: "Time elapsed before headlights turn off" and "Light sensor sensitivity". If your lights never go off by themselves, I bet the first option is somehow "OFF"...

I'm thankful a Lexus has those options as my MBZ does not, and my headlights are some of the last on the highway to go off as sunrise happens each morning (at least they go off!).
Thank you for your reply. I have a 2011 RX350 with NAV. I thought the "Headlamps Auto-OFF timer" was for when you turn the vehicle off it stays on for an x amount of time.
Old 01-06-15, 11:55 AM
BertL

Oops, yes, you're right on the timer. Sorry 'bout that. You can tell it's been a while since I've played with that setting.

Do try the sensitivity option though and see if you can make that help. For your 2011, info is in the manual on p625.
Old 01-06-15, 01:08 PM
rickchen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
Oops, yes, you're right on the timer. Sorry 'bout that. You can tell it's been a while since I've played with that setting.

Do try the sensitivity option though and see if you can make that help. For your 2011, info is in the manual on p625.
In the settings I also turned the DRL off. I wonder if that is the issue?

I looked all over the forums and I seem to be the only one with that problem.
Old 01-06-15, 01:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

rickchen, the headlights on my RXh stay on for maybe a minute after going under a bridge. It's not automatic and depends on how much light the sensor gets. The other timing settings are for when you exit the vehicle. Having them turn off completely when the door is opened is what I have mine on. It's convenient living in a state that requires headlights on when the wipers are on. They should also turn off when you hit the lock button on the fob twice IIRC. A quick way to turn off the headlights after going under an overpass or bridge is to turn the stalk on the side of the steering wheel one click in any direction and then back to auto. If that doesn't work, you might have a problem.
Old 01-06-15, 01:58 PM
BertL

I doubt the DRL setting will have any impact. If the sensitivity option does not help after you've tried it in various settings, perhaps you're still under warranty and should have it looked at before your 4 years is up.

Side note in case it triggers a thought: You haven't accidentially covered or maybe coated the headlight sensor with dust, cleaning liquid, or maybe conditioner when detailing your dash, have you? May be worth checking and giving it a wipe with a clean microfiber towel to be sure. If you don't know, the sensor is next to the defogging vent on the passenger side of the dash up by the bottom of the windshield -- looks like a round button with a slot around it. It's easier to see standing outside the car and looking in the front window. Stickers on the window or something laying on the dash could interfere with it I suppose as well.