RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What cities are supported by traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 04:38 PM
kunzman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cities are supported by traffic?

I have a 2015 RX450h with nav and it does not show traffic flow lines (green, yellow, red) for Cleveland, OH but does for Columbus, OH; Pittsburgh, PA; Cincinnati, OH; Louisville, KY and other big cities. My wife's new 2014 Prius v 5 shows traffic flow lines for Cleveland. I would think the systems would be similar. Can someone please zoom into Cleveland and tell me if your nav shows flow lines for this as well well as other the other cities listed?

BTW, I do get traffic updates for construction, stoppd cars, etc. that shows diamond symbols for traffic issues on the map.
Old 01-01-15, 06:45 AM
kunzman
Driver School Candidate

Default What cities show traffic flow on NAV unit?

Originally Posted by kunzman
I have a 2015 RX450h with nav and it does not show traffic flow lines (green, yellow, red) for Cleveland, OH but does for Columbus, OH; Pittsburgh, PA; Cincinnati, OH; Louisville, KY and other big cities. My wife's new 2014 Prius v 5 shows traffic flow lines for Cleveland. I would think the systems would be similar. Can someone please zoom into Cleveland and tell me if your nav shows flow lines for this as well well as other the other cities listed?

BTW, I do get traffic updates for construction, stoppd cars, etc. that shows diamond symbols for traffic issues on the map.
Can someone zoom in on their NAV unit and tell me if theirs show traffic flow for Cleveland, OH? Mine does not, but shows other major cities similar in size.
Old 01-01-15, 07:40 AM
kunzman
Driver School Candidate

I just found out why Cleveland isn't supported:

http://www.siriusxm.com/navtraffic/marketcoverage

What pisses me off is that my wife's new Prius uses information from her phone and displays traffic flow almost everywhere, Cleveland included.
Old 01-01-15, 07:48 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Some of the new Lexus models that have the HD radio are getting weather and traffic signals that way. The traffic info is more comprehensive than what is offered from Sirius. My guess is the 16RX will have that same new radio. More manufacturers are going to it, some have not yet. My C7 Corvette has the HD radio but still requires the traffic/weather info from SiriusXm. Probably because of GM's close ties with Sirius.

But over time technology will probably force everyone to use more available data from the HD system. If you search you can even find third party equipment and apps to turn your existing NAV system into a virtual extension of your smart phone.

What pisses me off is that my wife's new Prius uses information from her phone and displays traffic flow almost everywhere, Cleveland included.
Old 01-05-15, 12:06 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The coverage area is dependent on the 3rd parties that SiriusXM has contracts with.
You will get the best results using Google maps because it shamelessly "borrows" smart phone users information to analyze traffic patterns... and there are a lot of moving smartphones out there.