RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is it possible for me to track a special order?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 06:42 PM
bmaez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible for me to track a special order?

I'd like to track when this thing is supposed to deliver mainly because I'm getting anxious. Also, did the Grey RX get darker? I see some on the road that look like a light grey but the 15's look just a tad bit darker.
Old 12-31-14, 12:22 PM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmaez
I'd like to track when this thing is supposed to deliver mainly because I'm getting anxious. Also, did the Grey RX get darker? I see some on the road that look like a light grey but the 15's look just a tad bit darker.
I special ordered in May. Apparently there is no way to track. Dealer couldn't even do it until a week before delivery. Lame.
Old 12-31-14, 12:28 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The dealer should be able to check on the status of the special order once it's accepted. From that information I was able to get a build date. Others have been able to find out the name of the ship their RX was on. Don't know how. Add in another month to make the trip from Japan. It was four months total for me. Getting exactly what you want, priceless. Hang in there.
Old 12-31-14, 12:54 PM
drewcam888
Driver

Nebula Gray has been the same for years
Old 01-03-15, 02:31 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, in regards to being able to track special orders, Anita is dead on with what is and isn't possible with Lexus today. You do want to ask your dealer for the build date and for them to let you know once it's shipped. They have to go through some odd system to get the info, so don't expect daily updates, but at least those two key dates are possible. I know it's hard waiting -- I've special ordered my last several Lexi.

IMHO, Lexus allows the special orders, but they are not set up to do it or provide status to even their dealers in a volume way like say BMW and MBZ are. The German brand vehicles have a myriad more options compared to Japanese counterparts that are more package driven, and build-to-order seems at least to me to be more common place with the Germans especially with their overseas factory delivery options. With BMW, they have an online system where customers can see status of your car being built/shipped just like what the dealer can get for you. I was able e.g. to see my VIN the day it was assigned days before manufacturing began, when there was a committed build date and when that shifted out a week, when the car was painted, and then the 6 weeks it sat in the lot waiting to get onto a ship (THAT was frustrating!). With MBZ that I've also special ordered from, my salesperson was able to get on their system once a week and relay key status along the way -- the best part was getting the name of the ship in all 3 cases, then tracking it each day across the Atlantic and through the Panama Canal, catching them on cam as they came through the locks. The bad part is waiting and when it's stuck in initial US processing before being sent to the dealer when no one has any control over anything.

Hang in there. You'll have your new beauty soon.
Old 01-04-15, 08:51 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Hopefully you special ordered in time. My experience: I special ordered and 2 months later they said they aren't building any more 2014's so I had to wait until June 2014 before I picked my 2015 up. Not a big deal to me at the time, just be warned.
I ordered mine late in 2013. You may be in the same boat; especially since 2016 should be a new design and they may have stopped production on 2015's. Of course, I don't know anything so don't yell at me or hold me to any of what I just said.
As far as tracking your order, the dealer won't know too much except when it is scheduled to be built. Once it's on a ship, the dealer should be able to get a build sheet, which will have a ship's name on it. From that name, you can track the ship (to a degree anyway). Mine is a 450h so it came from Japan. If yours is from Canada, I don't know if they ship it or truck it.
Old 01-04-15, 10:49 AM
bmaez
Driver

Appreciate the replies.

I placed the order in Oct and was told a delivery date of Jan then it gets pushed back to a build date in Dec with delivery in Jan. The latest is a build date in Jan with a delivery scheduled for Mar. My concern now is should I wait till the 2016s or just negotiate a better deal since its at the end of its production run. At the end of this wait I would have been on stand by for 6 months.

If I wait for the 2016 I'm sure I'll want to special order again.

Thanks,
Old 01-04-15, 11:43 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sorry to hear there's been multiple delays. BertL had a similar issue when the special order on his '12 RX450h was delayed. It was getting close to the launch of the '13. That MY Lexus refresed the RX by introducing the spindle grill and other features. It was almost like a new generation RX IMO. He wound up going with the '13 instead and had a lengthy wait as well. He can fill you in on more details.

The '16 RX is supposed to debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit next week. This thread talks about it if you didn't see it. But I'm concerned the delay might turn into a cancellation with the introduction of the '16 RX probably around the corner. April is the month Lexus has launched the RX in the past. It's not to say it will be cancelled. I just want to put that out there so you can bring it up with your dealer. They should be willing to work with you whatever you decide to do. Good luck.
Old 01-04-15, 02:18 PM
BertL

Yes, as Anita says, I feel your pain -- and did go through special ordering twice with what is my now 2013, because the 2012 I had ordered was just a few days from physical delivery to me when the 2013 was announced. You'll find old threads from early 2012 on all that if you're interested. I've special ordered every one of my last 6 rides with 3 different mfgrs since 2001, so sorta feel like I know what I'm in for even in worst case scenarios.

Net is, only you can make the decision. All of us out here in the peanut gallery can give opinions, but in the end, you have to do what feels right for you. A few random thoughts if it's helps your head come to a conclusion:
A key point is speculation -- as of today, there is no 2016. There will be one day, but here's the problem you have (and that I did): Say you cancel your 2015 now or even the day the 2016's are announced. Dealers will not be able to guarantee a rapid or even normal delivery to you when there is a MY changeover -- initial allotments vary to every Dealer based on numerous factors beyond your control, and most are pre-configured by Lexus NA and IMHO sort of shipped to them without an ability to order exactly what a Dealer wants. My point being, it may normally take 5 months to deliver a special order, but it could take longer at the outset of a new gen, and initially when the Dealer does put in the special order, they must wait until they ultimately get an "accept" from the plant that the order has been worked-in to their allotment down the road -- which happens (or at least used to) once a month, so where you order can cause that to seem longer than it really is...

Similarly, if history repeats itself, Dealers won't have a lot of information or the ability to order what you want the day of, or even within a couple weeks after a new model hits some trade show. I had more information than my Dealer did for the first couple of weeks because of this site and the internet. It eventually all caught up, but required my sales mgr to effectively take over the deal and manually work it through with Lexus NA outside even a Dealer's normal ordering process. Regardless though, there will be minimal information on the true details of the changes between the models -- sure, we'll have some glossy brochure stuff, and some people will have seen one at a car show or talked to a Dealer insider, but not the detail that may be trusted if you care about that for quite some time and the first vehicles really hit US soil. E.g. we debated here for months about headlight functionality and it wasn't until I received my RX450h (which I think was the first one anyone reported on these forums) that I, my Dealer, and these boards knew lots of little things like if AFS was in the 2013 LEDs, what happened to the tonneau cover changes, little tweaks to the Infotainment Systems that happened, and other minutia. My RX in-fact is a tiny bit of a one-off having rear seats with 2012 clips to accept the full tonneau cover, but my tonneau cover itself is the new 2013 version that has no little flaps connecting to the back seat -- oddities like that may occur wen being first in a new MY. Early-on there is also nothing but maybe a glossy brochure version of new interior or exterior colors that may be available, or e.g. exactly how the leather (it is one tone or two-tone and where do the colors change?), carpet, and side panels look with certain colors -- and we'll likely find discrepancies in pictures between the US site, the brochure, the Apps, and what ends up being reality when the dust settles. You won't be able to physically look at one on a lot and come to a determination perhaps for a while -- if you're (and your significant other if he/she is in the picture) are OK sorta winging that and have good visualization skills and are OK with perhaps a little variation from what you thought you may get, great -- otherwise, it's a problem you can't get frustrated with your Dealer or Lexus about if you want to be first in the line for a new or refreshed MY. ;-)

I personally buy the best car I can for myself at the time, with intention of keeping it 6-8 years. I don't emotionally buy off the lot or flip them like disposable assets as some people seem to, so it is best for me to get exactly what I want and always buy at the beginning of a new or mid-life cycle because of how IMHO that tends to impact ultimate resale value later on. Sure, buying the last of a particular MY may get you the best price today, but if you keep your car a longer time like I do, you could find you're not just one, but two generations back in it's looks and capabilities. In the case of my 2013 vs 2012, that refreshed spindle grille made all the difference to me -- not because I was sold on it's look (still really don't like it), but because if I had a 2013 it would look "current" for a longer period of time while I own it, than if I had gone with the 2012 that would have an outdated look the day I took the brand new vehicle off the lot. I'm also a research hound wanting to know what I'm getting before I sign on the dotted line, so I have to work with myself coming to grips with how much I'm willing to not know before I get the real thing home in the garage. ah ha.

In the case of my 2013, my Dealer was understanding, and basically ate my 2012 (which they sold a day or two after it hit their lot because it was more fully optioned than nearly anything they ever have, so they knew they'd rapidly sell it unlike some oddball configurations some folks may order). The sales mgr allowed me to place an order for the 2013 -- so my clock started over on everything, BUT I was literally in the first shipment from Japan to the US in delivery of my RX450h, so that was sorta exciting. Being first though prevented me from having BSM most other 2013s with the luxury pkg have because it didn't come out for about 3 months after the first shipments began and I just couldn't wait almost 1 year in the total process... I love that feature on my MBZ and regret not having it on my RX. Also, I had to place that order for the 2013 with a lot of handshakes and trust with my Dealer, because they didn't have a clue on their costs until it hit a ship several months later so we couldn't renegotiate -- and I like to have my out-the-door price predetermined at time of order so I don't have surprises. It all worked out for me in the end and given similar circumstances I would do it the same way again today.
Anyway, lots of variables in the equation, many opinions, and you just have to come to grips with how important it is you have a new RX today vs if you'd rather wait and take whatever a 2016 may be. Good luck with your decision. I look forward to following what you end up doing and seeing a photo of that new ride one day -- no matter what the MY may be.

Last edited by BertL; 01-04-15 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Spelling/added one point of clarity on allotments
Old 01-06-15, 08:53 AM
bmaez
Driver

I think as of right now we're going to stick with what we have on order but because the 2016 makes its debut this month that may change. Unfortunately if we do change our minds we'll be leaving a tried and true product and going onto something that I thing would be a redesign plus we'd most likely need to special order again.

The RX we have on order has an MSRP of a little over 52000. What percentage off would you recommend I negotiate?

Thanks to all for the input.
Old 01-06-15, 09:31 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

I think as of right now we're going to stick with what we have on order but because the 2016 makes its debut this month that may change. Unfortunately if we do change our minds we'll be leaving a tried and true product and going onto something that I thing would be a redesign plus we'd most likely need to special order again.

The RX we have on order has an MSRP of a little over 52000. What percentage off would you recommend I negotiate.

Thanks to all for the input.
My experience on 2015 special order was good and bad. Delivery was only 7 weeks from order date. Dealer would not go more than 2% off MSRP. I reluctantly agreed. Nice vehicle, but I overpaid.
Old 01-06-15, 09:41 AM
BertL

Right. My experience is a dealer does not have to negotiate as much with a special order as they do with say a vehicle they have money tied-up with sitting on their lot for an extended period.
Old 01-06-15, 09:54 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I managed to get about a 5% discount on my special order 450h after being told it wouldn't be possible..It was the third RX I purchased from them if that counts for anything. Doesn't hurt to ask. And maybe have them throw in a few accessories like all weather mats or mud guards,. Chances are they will. Good luck.

Now you have me curious about why you went the special order route. What did you get?
Old 01-06-15, 02:12 PM
Mors
Pole Position

I got around 5% off my 450h. If you get a 2015, I'd expect you could get something off just due to it being the end of a generation (if it truly is the end of a generation). Of course, this depends on the dealer. From what I've researched, a dealer has no obligation to take anything off of a special order, but I bet most would work with you.
Old 01-07-15, 08:35 AM
bmaez
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
I managed to get about a 5% discount on my special order 450h after being told it wouldn't be possible..It was the third RX I purchased from them if that counts for anything. Doesn't hurt to ask. And maybe have them throw in a few accessories like all weather mats or mud guards,. Chances are they will. Good luck.

Now you have me curious about why you went the special order route. What did you get?

The main thing was the ML system with saddle tan interior combo'ed with the pearl white. My wife really wanted the upgraded sound and wasn't swayed by the different reviews. Plus I found it difficult to find one with the tow package on it.

Quick Reply: Is it possible for me to track a special order?