RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Steering Wheel Finish: Ebony Birds-Eye Maple

Old 12-23-14, 08:01 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Finish: Ebony Birds-Eye Maple

This post is specific to the Ebony-Birds Eye Maple in my '15 RX.

Just wondering if it bothers anyone else that the wood steering wheel color does not come close to matching anything in the interior.

The wood steering wheel is almost Piano Black while the rest of the wood trim is more of a nice grey colored stain with visible knots and patterns of wood.

My previous Lexus cars with wood steering wheels were always near perfect in respect to the wood matching.

Thanks,
Old 12-25-14, 07:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Curious if you can post some pics.
Old 12-26-14, 05:55 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine's the same way. I always wondered if it was really wood. The finish feels more like plastic. It appears as pure black with no wood tones what so ever.
That said, I like it better than the alternative wood finish.

Old 05-07-15, 03:39 AM
jhagedon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebony Birds-eye Maple steering wheel color match

I just received my new 2015 RX-350 and was dismayed to see the same thing, the steering wheel and gear shift **** look solid black and have no relationship to the burled veneers elsewhere in the car. I looked carefully at the photos on the Lexus website and there is a clear image of the steering wheel matching the other burled veneer. My previous RX-350 had matching Walnut veneers throughout. I intend to contact the dealer.

Last edited by jhagedon; 05-07-15 at 03:40 AM. Reason: forgot to include year of vehicle
Old 05-07-15, 11:28 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Same here noticed it the day after I picked up my 2015 silver with black interior.
Old 05-07-15, 11:50 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

2013h - Same
Old 05-07-15, 12:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Every RX I looked at with the wood steering wheel was the same as described here. It's one of the reasons I chose the all leather wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel Finish: Ebony Birds-Eye Maple-img_1695.jpg  
Old 05-07-15, 01:03 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Every RX I looked at with the wood steering wheel was the same as described here. It's one of the reasons I chose the all leather wheel.
How did you get to choose? I asked and it wasn't an option on my 2015. I did not want a wood steering wheel. If I could find a good high quality wrap I would put it on but most look/feel cheap.
Old 05-07-15, 01:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Leap
How did you get to choose? I asked and it wasn't an option on my 2015. I did not want a wood steering wheel. If I could find a good high quality wrap I would put it on but most look/feel cheap.
I just lucked out. Turns out my dealer had one RX on the lot with the leather wheel. It also had the radar cruise we wanted, and in a color we liked (Nebula), so we went with it.
Old 05-07-15, 02:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

My RXh didn't come with a wood steering wheel either. It's a feature of the sport package. In fact I've never had a wood steering wheel in any of my three RXs. I just wish I had the ebony birds-eye maple on the other wood trim pieces. It's very nice.
Old 05-07-15, 05:06 PM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 RX 350 with touring package and technology package and it has the wood accents and wood and leather steering wheel and it's in the brown/maple color. However, I also have the tan/black interior color if that has anything to do with it.

I would have been upset if I had the black steering wheel and the brown accent trim. However, my RX was on the show room floor so got to see it before I bought it.

novaman

Last edited by novaman; 05-08-15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-08-15, 06:22 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, there are other and even older threads on this subject... I frankly remember the same sort of mis-match problem also with one of the color variants on the 2nd Gen where IMHO, the wood on many steering wheels was too red compared to the rest of the trim.

When doing research before my first dealer visit to see a 3rd Gen, I had this wood color thing on my list to inspect and understand both at time of order, and again as a checklist item when I took delivery before signing on the dotted line. I'm a pretty detailed guy, and color mismatch would have driven me crazy. I decided to purchase a RX with the Luxury Pkg that comes with the heated/wood & leather-trimmed steering wheel, and I also selected parchment interior specifically so I would get Espresso colored trim that in my view didn't have as big of a possible issue with color variation as what Ebony seemed to in the multiple vehicles I looked at on dealer lots.

I suspect Lexus isn't making all the wood trim in 3rd Gen RX from the same tree and with the exact same finish or process down the same line, like some very high end mfgrs do (Bently comes to mind). I bet Lexus has one subcontractor making steering wheels and another making other parts of the trim. Unfortunately, it does not appear Lexus does much in the way of then attempting to ensure the trim tones always match at the time everything is integrated at the plant. When I asked my dealer about this before I ordered, they said it's the luck of the draw as to what comes into their dealership -- with some vehicles seeming to have a closer match than others, and this not being a RX-unique potential issue. Apparently it wasn't a common complaint, but they did note some "detailed" customers selected certain vehicles over others in part because of the trim. That whole discussion did nothing but cinch my going with interior trim colors that I hoped (and fortunately for me, did!) look the same upon delivery.

For those unhappy with the color variation, your only alternative once you take delivery of the vehicle is to try addressing it as a warranty or customer sat issue with your dealer, and then escalating to Lexus Corporate if your dealer does not provide satisfaction. Perhaps if enough people gripe, the process will improve in future MYs. Good luck.

Last edited by BertL; 05-08-15 at 08:14 AM. Reason: clarified leather-trimmed steering wheel has wood too!
Old 05-08-15, 07:52 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Great points, Bert. The wood is probably added at port or the dealer and and not when the RX is built. The dealer installed a wood kit around the front vents, shifter and console of my 300 but it didn't include the steering wheel and shifter itself. It faded in comparison to the rest of the wood. It's part of the reason why I prefer none.
Old 05-08-15, 08:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

um... not to be a smart *** or anything. but i ave the same deal with the original poster and i never even noticed this color difference? arent you guys just being a little too picky about it? btw, i dont have the sport package and i`v got the wood n leather steering wheel
Old 05-08-15, 08:51 AM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
My RXh didn't come with a wood steering wheel either. It's a feature of the sport package. In fact I've never had a wood steering wheel in any of my three RXs. I just wish I had the ebony birds-eye maple on the other wood trim pieces. It's very nice.
On the 2015 I have, I was told is only not wood with the F-Sport. Non F-Sports always get the wood wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Finish: Ebony Birds-Eye Maple