RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Steering Wheel Finish: Ebony Birds-Eye Maple

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-15, 09:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Leap
On the 2015 I have, I was told is only not wood with the F-Sport. Non F-Sports always get the wood wheel.
i like the wood wheel, my other two rx`s had them as well.
Old 05-08-15, 09:47 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
um... not to be a smart *** or anything. but i ave the same deal with the original poster and i never even noticed this color difference? arent you guys just being a little too picky about it? btw, i dont have the sport package and i`v got the wood n leather steering wheel
IMHO, wood trim color differences seem to be more apparent in some vehicles and maybe certain MYs than others. In the case of the 3rd Gen RX, Ebony seems to have more potential variation than Espresso if one compares the wood on the steering wheel with the rest of the trim inside the same vehicle. ...that's just my impression looking at the trim and steering wheels in probably a couple dozen vehicles back when I was in research mode, and having followed threads with discussions like this one for quite a while. On top of that, I agree that some of us are more picky with color and detail than others, but then again, I have something like 7 different sheens and shades of yellow on the walls of different rooms in my home, but the same sheen and tone of white on all my ceilings -- because I notice the variation, where others probably do not and are happy with flat navajo white everywhere.

Option packaging and what is on the base vehicle, evolves somewhat with different MYs, and varies by country, so package names can be a bit of a challenge to use as a comparison point when we're really talking about only one option like the steering wheel. Anita, e.g. has a US 2010 with the Sport Package that gave her an all-leather steering wheel. When I ordered my US 2013, there was no Sport Package available to purchase (not to be confused with the "Sports Appearance Package" that first came out with the 2013s). On the 2013s, you could only get the "wood 'n leather" steering wheel as part of the Luxury Package -- which is what I have, or as Leap suggests, get an F-Sport variant with it's unique elements.
Old 05-08-15, 11:50 AM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
FWIW, there are other and even older threads on this subject... I frankly remember the same sort of mis-match problem also with one of the color variants on the 2nd Gen where IMHO, the wood on many steering wheels was too red compared to the rest of the trim.

When doing research before my first dealer visit to see a 3rd Gen, I had this wood color thing on my list to inspect and understand both at time of order, and again as a checklist item when I took delivery before signing on the dotted line. I'm a pretty detailed guy, and color mismatch would have driven me crazy. I decided to purchase a RX with the Luxury Pkg that comes with the heated/wood & leather-trimmed steering wheel, and I also selected parchment interior specifically so I would get Espresso colored trim that in my view didn't have as big of a possible issue with color variation as what Ebony seemed to in the multiple vehicles I looked at on dealer lots.

I suspect Lexus isn't making all the wood trim in 3rd Gen RX from the same tree and with the exact same finish or process down the same line, like some very high end mfgrs do (Bently comes to mind). I bet Lexus has one subcontractor making steering wheels and another making other parts of the trim. Unfortunately, it does not appear Lexus does much in the way of then attempting to ensure the trim tones always match at the time everything is integrated at the plant. When I asked my dealer about this before I ordered, they said it's the luck of the draw as to what comes into their dealership -- with some vehicles seeming to have a closer match than others, and this not being a RX-unique potential issue. Apparently it wasn't a common complaint, but they did note some "detailed" customers selected certain vehicles over others in part because of the trim. That whole discussion did nothing but cinch my going with interior trim colors that I hoped (and fortunately for me, did!) look the same upon delivery.

For those unhappy with the color variation, your only alternative once you take delivery of the vehicle is to try addressing it as a warranty or customer sat issue with your dealer, and then escalating to Lexus Corporate if your dealer does not provide satisfaction. Perhaps if enough people gripe, the process will improve in future MYs. Good luck.
Good post and # 17 was good post, too! Nevertheless, I find it incomprehensible, that Lexus would let color variation stray that far. My steering wheel and shifter **** and the other related wood accents in my particular case are dead on in color. I wouldn't want it any other way. Wouldn't expect it any other way. I guess it's one good reason to purchase car from stock, rather then order from dealer.

Would also like to add that I inadvertently stated I had sport package and touring package. However, after getting out my original window sticker I see I have touring package and technology package. Just wanted to clear this up. BTW, this is a Canadian built and purchased.

novaman

Last edited by novaman; 05-08-15 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-08-15, 01:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Leap
On the 2015 I have, I was told is only not wood with the F-Sport. Non F-Sports always get the wood wheel.
My 450h has the sport package which was only available in the US for the 2010 MY. Apparently it's one of the features though it wasn't listed anywhere in the brochure. Same story on my 330 with the performance package. I recall my sales guy telling me the wood steering wheel wasn't available with that particular package. The 300, well, it was first year. It didn't even have a roof rack or spoiler on the tailgate.
Old 05-08-15, 01:47 PM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
My 450h has the sport package which was only available in the US for the 2010 MY. Apparently it's one of the features though it wasn't listed anywhere in the brochure. Same story on my 330 with the performance package. I recall my sales guy telling me the wood steering wheel wasn't available with that particular package. The 300, well, it was first year. It didn't even have a roof rack or spoiler on the tailgate.
i believe that all 2015 RX 350 sold in Canada are called "Sport Design Edition" which includes revised front bumper, revised front grill, new 19" alloy wheels on all grades, LED fog lamps in standard, remote touch interface **** shape change, premium grade name changed into SPORTDESIGN EDITION.

I hope this clears up some of the misconceptions about why some people call the 2015 RX 350 made for Canadian market as sport package instead of Sportdesign., including me!!

novaman

Last edited by novaman; 05-08-15 at 03:49 PM.