RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thinking of F-Sport RX350 - questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 06:28 AM
tin369
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of F-Sport RX350 - questions

Hi all,

I am in the market for a car, but having a really hard time deciding. I looked at the ML350 and like it, but one poster think JT4 had previously owned the ML350 and he says that the Rx350 f sport is much better.

I also want to keep my monthly down and although the ML350 are being aggressively discounted, the residual and the MF is no where close to the RX350.

I also heard that the new RX350 is coming next year, so should I wait or take advantage of the December deals.

Will the f-sport ride hard and rough, is there any advantage driving and handling wise between the regular and the f-sport?

We have a child and thats why looking at SUV's but the other cars that i thought we could consider are the BMW5 series (good deals now) the GS350 also good deals.

We are going to get the X3, but thats for the wife so, since i will be driving this car and have a long commute should i just get a sedan.

What do you guys suggest/recommend?
Old 12-21-14, 07:02 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

You definitely are giving yourself some options, maybe too many to make a decision . In my household, we have the family crossover (RX and soon to be NX), and my IS sedan as my daily driver as this best suits our needs overall. Needs being better fuel economy, smaller size for parking/manoeuvrability, and lower vehicle price tag (less stress from inevitable rock chips, door dings, etc.) for the daily driver, while interior, cargo, and highway ride comfort for the family are required for the family hauler.

If you want to consider the RX F-Sport, it handles better (near flat cornering) yet is firmer than the regular RX, but it is also as smooth on minor road imperfections. Only on rougher roads and in winter (where the suspension stiffens further) the ride can feel a little harsh. If you live in warmer climates and fewer-pothole-infested roads, this would not be an issue for you. For my needs, the RX would not be the ideal DD and if your needs align with mine, I would get the GS (among your sedan choices) for the better fuel economy, yet powerful quiet performance and even better build quality and NVH over the current RX if parking is a concern. However, the GS is about 4 inches longer than the RX. Forget the 5 series unless you have time to visit the BMW service department regularly for electronics issues, and transmission/engine issues (check out the BMW forums...).

Good luck
Old 12-21-14, 07:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The ML is due for a redesign next year according to my former Lexus salesperson who is now at MB. That probably explains the discounting. I've only been in the early version of ML so I can't comment on it. Many people have said the F-Sport has a firmer ride than the non F-Sport RX but keep in mind that's subjective. You should really drive it and see for yourself. Personally I like the tighter feel in the steering and less body roll. Right now is probably the best time if you want the 2015 with December to Remember. Inventory is also there.
Old 12-21-14, 02:57 PM
tin369
Rookie

My concern with the F-sport is that I have a RAV4 V6 sport and had runlets, yeah only a few of these were made by toyota. But the ride was so harsh, once i changed to regular tires the ride became a little soft but still not soft enough.

I don't want to get in f-sport if i will experience the same and a short test drive won't reveal that necessarily.
But I like that it handles well, better than the regular RX?

Also, does it drive lighter than the ML, coz on the ML when I test drove i could feel a little lag, and the weight of the car.

The reason for looking at a SUV and not getting a sedan is why pay so much for a sedan when you can get an SUV which is functional too. different way of looking at things I guess.
Old 12-21-14, 06:47 PM
jst17
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like you take "years" to decide on buying a car..

If I was in your boat, I would get the GS350. It's another level of attention to detail compared to the RX(sport or not). The X3 is enough for your kid, assuming you dont change your mind on it.

Last edited by jst17; 12-21-14 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-21-14, 07:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

My RX F-Sport feels about as firm as my dad's '13 Rav4 with all-season 225/65/17 tires over bigger bumps initially, but the RX's extra weight then dissipates the energy in a much more refined and composed manner. Then add the superior NVH, comfy seats, smoother ride over smaller bumps, and the RX F-Sport is superior over the RAV4.

RX F-Sport feels sportier than the regular RX especially when you use the paddle shifters as it puts you more in the action. I do enjoy the near-flat cornering (bodyroll is at a minimum) in some nearby twisty long stretches.

Again, this is my "feel" and you will need to be the ultimate judge. If you show strong interest in the F-Sport, I would see no issues with the dealer letting you take an extended test drive or even for a few hours. Get the long test drive and report back - good luck!
Old 12-22-14, 01:16 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
Hi all,

I am in the market for a car, but having a really hard time deciding. I looked at the ML350 and like it, but one poster think JT4 had previously owned the ML350 and he says that the Rx350 f sport is much better.

I also want to keep my monthly down and although the ML350 are being aggressively discounted, the residual and the MF is no where close to the RX350.

I also heard that the new RX350 is coming next year, so should I wait or take advantage of the December deals.

Will the f-sport ride hard and rough, is there any advantage driving and handling wise between the regular and the f-sport?

We have a child and thats why looking at SUV's but the other cars that i thought we could consider are the BMW5 series (good deals now) the GS350 also good deals.

We are going to get the X3, but thats for the wife so, since i will be driving this car and have a long commute should i just get a sedan.

What do you guys suggest/recommend?
Hey Tin369.. Yes, as I had previously posted after owning a 2011 ML350 which was a disaster and bought back by MBUSA, and then a 2012 ML350 IMO the RX is a better vehicle.. Again IMO..

While the 2012 ML was light years better than the 2011 ML we had, I still honestly feel that there were too many rattles and creaks in the interior. Even with a stiffer suspension the F-Sport is still more solid and quiet compared (IMO) to the ML's we had. Even my wife agrees and she loved her ML's...

While there is a slight throttle lag on the F-Sport the throttle lag in both ML's was ridiculous. They would hesitate and buck and were borderline dangerous in certain situations, especially the 2011. MB adjusted the shift adaptions several times and a few weeks later the lag would return every time.

Like I said before, if you want to give the ML a try lease it.. That way if you run into any issues at least you can turn it in at the end of your lease..

Once again, good luck..

Last edited by JT4; 12-23-14 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 06:20 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Since your wife is getting a crossover, treat yourself to a nice sedan. That's what we did.
You'll get a ride that is much more entertaining and the kids will thank you for it.
If I want to persuade my kids to go somewhere, I just tell them, let's take the Daddy's car.

The IS/GS are designed on the RWD platform with double-wishbone suspension. If you want a great ride, that is what you need to start with. RX is a wrong-wheel-drive platform (FWD), which features many compromises.
I absolutely love the new IS. I was so impressed with its ride, I explicitly asked for it to be my loaner while the RX was in service. Drove 2 of my kids around, no problem. Had it featured a stick-shift, I'd bought it on the spot. The GS shares the same platform, so it should be just as good. If there's anything I have learned, Toyota/Lexus vehicle make a great long-term investment compared to others. I had my last IS300 for 11.5 years before I sold it. I really miss the way it handled. Even with modified suspension, it was still a great long distance vehicle.
Old 12-23-14, 07:34 AM
tin369
Rookie

yes thank you all for your comments and suggestions. My wife actually likes driving a sedan, so maybe I can get her a sedan when her car lease is up and I can get into an SUV.

I showed her the GS350 and she liked it but she thinks its too big, The interior of that car was very nice, does it drive as big as it looks, maybe i should ask in the GS forum.

I like how the new NX f sport looks and i am sure the new 2016 rx will look similar, but there are good deals to be had now on the outgoing RX350.