RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Question about the "joy stick/mouse" control

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 09:49 AM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about the "joy stick/mouse" control

I'm considering buying a new 2015 RX 350. The ones in stock at my local dealer are equipped with the Navigation Package which has the "joystick/mouse" controller on the center console. I don't really want or need the Nav package, but if I can get the vehicle for a good price I might do the deal.

Some reviews I've read say this joystick mouse controller is a bit tricky to use especially when driving. Correct me if I'm wrong but it controls most all functions of the radio, heating and AC, is that right?

I plan to go to the dealer sometime in the next couple of weeks to see for myself, but any information and advice is welcome.

One unit is MSRP of $51,135. I received an "online quote" from the dealer of $48,832. Another in-stock unit is MSRP at $51,638, online quote at $49151. I'm tempted to try to negotiate that down further since each has about $4,000 worth of extras I really don't need nor necessarily want.

If I order one exactly the way I want it's about $46,900 according "build your own" on the Lexus website. How much negotiation room do you think I'd have with a custom order vs. one in stock?

Thanks, Ken

Last edited by kmar; 12-19-14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-19-14, 10:04 AM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have any issues with the one in my 2014 IS. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I would purchase again.
Old 12-19-14, 10:07 AM
kmar
Driver

Originally Posted by ToyLexFAM
I do not have any issues with the one in my 2014 IS. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I would purchase again.
Do you find it diverts your attention from the road too much? A couple of "professional" reviewers thought so.
Old 12-19-14, 10:10 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

No more than it takes to change a radio station. It becomes more intuitive over time. Plus you have voice controls for many of the things you can do through the nav screen. Regarding prices, I'd suggest you take a look at this thread.
Old 12-19-14, 10:11 AM
ToyLexFAM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
Do you find it diverts your attention from the road too much? A couple of "professional" reviewers thought so.
No more than changing a radio station using the steering wheel buttons or using the hands-free Bluetooth.
Old 12-19-14, 11:16 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kmar
Yes, when I have to turn AC on or OFF. Or to [re]start apps. Other than that, most functions are blocked anyway, so there's little you can do while driving. The AC part is a moot point now because they removed the AC button on non-Nav RXs anyway.

Some people like the joystick. In my opinion, they have a lot of patience.

The best way for me to sum up the Navigation system in the RX is, you get 90s tech at 90s price.
One of reasons I got an STi as a DD is because the Nav system is not forced down your throat and any aftermarket double-din unit will do. Hello capacitive touchscreen!
I love my old TomTom unit that I occasionally use. Everything is so intuitive. It takes seconds to figure out what I want it to do compared to... forever in the RX. Roadblock ahead? Just click a button. Avoid a specific part of the route? Just click it. For the life of me, I couldn't find where this option was in the RX when I got stuck in traffic on a road trip.
Never mind the 2D graphics. I can't count how many intersections I missed in the RX, especially in congested areas. Is it this one or the next one? What does the bar on the right say? Oh, there it was!
Old 12-19-14, 11:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

As far as it being easy to use, I found that I got used to it very quickly. I don't even have to think about it now.

With respect to audio and climate controls, you also have hard buttons for most of those functions, so no, you don't have to use the mouse for things like adjusting temperature or skipping tracks and such.

After having it for a while now, I will tell you that I cannot imagine owning another car without navigation. We use it all the time - to help route around traffic, find restaurants or addresses, etc. We love it!
Old 12-19-14, 05:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

My number one gripe with the latest Lexus dash is that the presets for radio are not physical buttons. It is very difficult to use the joystick to navigate through the radio menu on the new RXs. My 2011 has the older version of nav and at least the preset buttons are nice and large, like this:

On the newer system, it looks like this, and with multiple pages of presets!

This makes it very hard to make selections while driving, and also determining what page of presets you want.

The actual controller is fine and when the vehicle is stopped, you will have no problem using it. Its the software that needs a redo
Old 12-19-14, 06:41 PM
ajs
Driver

If you can wait a little while, you may want to consider the all new 2016 RX coming out sometime next year. Lexus is eliminating the mouse contraption on all their new models for good reason. It is simply a bad design, and is being replaced by a touchpad system.
Old 12-19-14, 07:08 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I got used to mine and it works well. If changed to touch pad it will probably work well also once people get used to it but "bad design" is just your opinion. Lot's of cars available including my new C7 Corvette that still require touch screen while driving. Now that's a bad design IMHO.
Originally Posted by ajs
If you can wait a little while, you may want to consider the all new 2016 RX coming out sometime next year. Lexus is eliminating the mouse contraption on all their new models for good reason. It is simply a bad design, and is being replaced by a touchpad system.
Old 12-19-14, 07:31 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter

... that still require touch screen while driving. Now that's a bad design IMHO.
Jim, I agree with you 100%. Touch screens on or in the dash are the worst.

Although in the minority around here, I love the joystick of the 2010-2012, like the 2013 and haven't used the 2015 track pad.

The arm rest, wrist rest and joystick of the 2010-2012 are a perfect fit for me. Now the associated graphics are pure 1970's.
Old 12-20-14, 03:15 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

I will put my vote in as loving the mouse. I think the screen position coupled with the mouse if far superior to a close in touch screen. Having the screen deeper and higher on the dash doesn't require as much shifting and refocusing of the eyes (more important for us older types), allowing me to have better peripheral view of the road while using it.

Admittedly I use a computer a lot at work, so working a mouse is natural for me. But I am especially impressed with the programmable touch feedback within the mouse, being able to feel the button positions on the screen as the pointer moved over them without even looking at it, awesome. I can quickly home in on the button I want just with a quick glance and then just feel my way to the right button based on the touch feedback through the mouse.

I had a loaner ES350 for a couple of days that had one of those spin & slap wheels. I suppose it requires less dexterity, but I found it slow to select and require more eyes down time to find the right choices. I suppose with time I would have learned to count how many clicks and shoves to select the right button before giving it a whack, but as an experienced mouser, I appreciate the straight forward point and click experience.

As far as a touchscreen goes, well, first off, yawn, so common now, might as well be impressed with the power window switch. Second, requires a lot more eyes down time and more difficult to feel your way to the correct button. The ones that have physical buttons along the side probably make more sense. They work well enough on phones and tablets because you are constantly looking at the while using them, but not so good an idea while driving.
Old 12-20-14, 05:26 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Lexus Nav Control

Well almost every type of Nav control has been mentioned here from 'screen touch, to mouse type, to touch pad. I've already documented that 'screen touch' is pretty much an obsolete version even though GM and Corvette still use it. Not fun when your eyes are focused to the exact small space you want to punch with your index finger while car is in motion. Hey, it's also out of the line of vision with the road. Even Microsoft is ditching the touch screen windows for Windows 8 as soon as the bugs are worked out.

As for the Lexus mouse type there is a learning curve to be sure but it's much easier than say a 'new marriage' learning curve. I think everyone can agree a miscue there can be pretty tragic . Ours is easy to learn & master .