RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

difference between AWD and 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 12:57 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default difference between AWD and 4WD?

I am trying to shop for a used RX350 (perhaps a 2011 or 2012).

I see listings online for 2WD, AWD, and 4WD models.

I know what 2WD drive is but I don't understand the difference of AWD vs 4WD.

I believe they are both push button and that when the button is pressed, all 4 tires engage.

Is the difference between AWD and 4WD a matter of speed? My friend's subaru is full time AWD and he can drive on the freeway going 80mph. My other friend has a jeep cherokee and when he engages 4WD he can only go a few miles per hour.

Is this the difference between the two?
Old 12-12-14, 01:59 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

RX350's are only AWD.

4WD usually has a low-range, and is more off-road worthy. An AWD system is primarily for crossovers, where the only concern is snow.
Old 12-12-14, 02:07 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In simple terms, 4WD systems are for off-roading vehicles and you can select 2WD or 4WD. Modern day AWD systems are all computer controlled and all wheels are alway driven.
Old 12-12-14, 02:23 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

On Carmax's website, they list 2WD, 4WD and AWD. Also when I look on craigslist, people are listing their vehicles in the same manner.

So I am assuming that all RX350s are 2WD and then you can push a button and it will go to AWD for the snow. There is no such thing as a 4WD RX350 then.
Old 12-12-14, 02:36 PM
drewcam888
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You buy either a 2WD or AWD RX350. Those are the ONLY the options.
Old 12-12-14, 02:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

No button. The RX has two options, FWD or AWD. Obviously some people don't know what they have or the differences. Personally I'd stay away from them. Who knows what other kind of misrepresentations they might make.
Old 12-12-14, 02:44 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

AWD typically means part-time engagement, which is what RX350/450h is. 4WD is always-ON, or have a button/lever to go into 2WD and 4WD Low modes. 4WD implies a transfer case that does those functions, meanwhile AWD has a center differential. Things get very confusing with AWD vehicles that are always-on or those that have computer-controlled AWD engagement. Don't hold it against people for listing it the wrong way.
Old 12-12-14, 03:00 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Okay looks like I'll have to ask the dealership on this one.
Old 12-12-14, 04:07 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an AWD system. Not a 4WD system.
Old 12-12-14, 05:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

vlad, I'd feel the same way if I walked into dealer and the salesperson wasn't knowledgeable about the car I'm looking at. Credibility starts to become an issue. It might be extreme but like I said, it's my humble opinion. The RX has been available as FWD or AWD since it came out 16+ years ago. It would be nice if they got it right to prevent confusion.

Years ago I'd get screwy looks when I told people my RX was AWD. Back then very few cars had it. I'd say 4WD and suddenly a light bulb would go off. So yes, I'm guilty of saying it myself for simplicity sake. But I know the difference. And I do appreciate your explanation between the two.

Last edited by kitlz; 12-12-14 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-12-14, 07:14 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

4wd all wheels spin at the same rate. Center diff (if present) is locked. Not good for dry pavement. High & low ranges for 4wd allow more versatility in difficult terrain (4wd low range the wheels spin slower for any rpm range allowing for more torque for any given rpm) AWD the wheels spin independent so can be used on dry pavement. On Subaru s, all wheels are always powered to some degree depending on slip, like the older gen RXs. these 3rd gen RXs the rear wheels are only powered if the front wheels spin/slip. Whew!
Old 12-12-14, 08:02 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
4wd all wheels spin at the same rate. Center diff (if present) is locked. Not good for dry pavement. High & low ranges for 4wd allow more versatility in difficult terrain (4wd low range the wheels spin slower for any rpm range allowing for more torque for any given rpm) AWD the wheels spin independent so can be used on dry pavement. On Subaru s, all wheels are always powered to some degree depending on slip, like the older gen RXs. these 3rd gen RXs the rear wheels are only powered if the front wheels spin/slip. Whew!
Nah, the 3rd gen RX is electronically controlled. It will preemptively send power to the rear wheels upon starting. Never mind the 450h, which is a whole different ballgame due to completely electric setup in the back.

Also, from what I'm reading, the transfer case sill provides differential action between front and rear.
Old 12-12-14, 08:30 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://sites.google.com/site/awdand4wd/
Old 12-12-14, 09:14 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Nah, the 3rd gen RX is electronically controlled. It will preemptively send power to the rear wheels upon starting.
I don't understand this statement...please explain. 3rd gen awd rx350 ( yes not 450h) is primarily fwd, but rear wheels get power when front slips. Yes, electronic control, not purely mechanical viscous coupling with ltd slip.
I should have qualified my previous post as "traditional" 4wd vs awd...just trying to keep it simple, but not easy with the variations like jeep's system.

Last edited by afpj; 12-12-14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-12-14, 09:28 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jwigley
Okay looks like I'll have to ask the dealership on this one.
I recommend you visit a Lexus dealer and look at '11-'12 RX Certified Pre-Owned vehicles. These CPO cars cost more than a private sale, but they are very well detailed and very well warranted. The salesman will explain the difference between AWD and FWD, you won't find a switch or button for this anywhere. They come one way or the other from the factory.
We have an '11 FWD RX350 and are very happy with it. The front tires spin when I tromp it in the rain from a stop. Our other car is an '04 Highlander AWD. We like it a lot. The wheels don't spin when I tromp it at a red light in the rain. That's the difference from my point of view.
If you are thinking about driving in the snow, I would go AWD.
I would stay away from Craig's List and Car Max, but that's my opinion. You may do well there, but I'm not a big fan, as the saying goes.
Good luck. Welcome to the forum. I learned a great deal here.
Ray A.

Quick Reply: difference between AWD and 4WD?