I followed Mac12's instructions for hard wiring a radar detector to the mirror on the 2013 RX and they work on the 2015 RX. It's very easy. Here's how to do it.
1. There is a torx headed screw that holds the mirror assembly to the windshield bracket.
2. Rotate the mirror out of the way so you can get a torx wrench into the screw.
3. Turn the torx headed set screw counter-clockwise about two turns so you can feel the mirror assembly has loosened. I suggest you don't remove the set screw because you could lose it.
4. There is a collar at the top of the mirror bracket that snaps off. I used a small screwdriver to carefully pry it off.
5. Lift the mirror assembly toward you and it will slip out.
6. You will see a white connector with at least 5 wires attached.
7. Squeeze the tab on the connector and pull the connector out.
8. Using small cutting pliers, carefully cut away the cable covering so the wires are exposed for at least an inch.
9. I bought splices for #14 - #18 wires at an Auto Zone store. Two of these splices will fit nicely inside the mirror bracket when you are finished.
10. Since I mounted my radar detector on my visor with a snap on bracket, I only needed about 8 inches of wire with a plug on one end for the detector.
11. Splice the HOT wire of the radar detector wires to the BLACK wire on the mirror connector.
12. I used a tooth pick to temporarily hold the radar detector wire in place in the slice as I clamped the splice shut with a pair of pliers. Once shut, remove the tooth pick.
13. Splice the GROUND wire of the radar detector to the WHITE wire on the mirror connector. Use the tooth pick again.
14. To test the connections, connect the plug to your your radar detector and turn the car on. The radar detector will start up if you have good connections. Otherwise, turn the car off and fix them.
15. After successfully testing, close the locking parts of the splices to complete the job.
16. Push the white mirror connector back into the mirror assembly.
17. Slide the mirror assemble back onto the windshield mount.
18. Tighten the torx screw.
19 Snap on the collar and you are done.
Radar detectors are illegal in VA and Wash. D.C. I drive through VA sometimes so I use non-leaking radar detector that cannot be picked up by radar detector detectors in VA. Yes, the police use radar detector detectors in VA. I use a Beltronics STi Driver and I've never been stopped in VA. Regular radar detectors have enough leakage so cops can pick them up thousands of feet away.
This ad is not displayed to registered members. Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!