RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-12-14, 03:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Should brakes and Shocks need to replaced at 40,000 miles?

Old 01-11-13, 06:01 PM
jencamp8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should brakes and Shocks need to replaced at 40,000 miles?

I have a 2010 RX 350. When I went to get my oil changed at Lexus they told me my front and rear brakes would need to be replaced in 5,000 miles. It had 40,000 miles at the time, so I'm wondering if this seems right. I'm a woman and they like to tell you all sorts of things. My husband thinks the brakes feel fine. Then today my dad took my car into Les Schwab tires to get it aligned as I hit a major pot hole and the man said my shocks need to be replaced which was never mentioned at the Lexus dealership. The man also said the shocks should be under warranty. Does this sound right?
Old 01-11-13, 06:48 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jencamp8
I have a 2010 RX 350. When I went to get my oil changed at Lexus they told me my front and rear brakes would need to be replaced in 5,000 miles. It had 40,000 miles at the time, so I'm wondering if this seems right. I'm a woman and they like to tell you all sorts of things. My husband thinks the brakes feel fine. Then today my dad took my car into Les Schwab tires to get it aligned as I hit a major pot hole and the man said my shocks need to be replaced which was never mentioned at the Lexus dealership. The man also said the shocks should be under warranty. Does this sound right?
Still under warranty til 45K miles.
If the shocks need to be replaced, you may have to re-do the alignment again.
Old 01-11-13, 07:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, jencamp8.

Some partial truths in there. Depending on how you drive and the roads you drive will affect the lifespan of your brakes. Getting 40K miles out of the fronts is not abnormal, but you are probably getting close on those needing replaced. The fronts are the ones which wear out first. They can "feel" fine and stop your vehicle proper and still need to be changed. They should be changed out before they get to 3MM in thickness and before the wear indicators (which will squeal when you brake) kick in. Of course, the dealer is not going to measure them in front of you. The rear brakes "should" last much longer than the fronts, perhaps even twice as long. For those to need replacing at the same time seems a bit like selling you a service you do not really need. Does the brake pedal pulse when you brake? If not, you may only need pads and the rotors would be fine. Do not let the shop tell you they need to replace the rotors as well if that is the case.

As for the shocks, the Lexus dealer may not have even inspected or suspected a problem with those. Unless the shocks/struts are leaking or you notice a problem with the RX in how it handles you are fine for the moment. A lot of shops will say that because you have so many miles or the vehicle is of such an age that you need x, y and z done in the way of service when of course you do not. However, while your RX is still under warranty it is items like this that should be addressed if it will be covered. Do not wait too long.

So, what is the truth? You perhaps need new front brakes. Other than that one cannot tell without a physical inspection. Perhaps a trip to get another opinion is in order. Do you have a local Toyota dealership? Have your dad, if possible, take it by for an oil change there next time it is needed, get them to rotate the tires and have them inspect the brakes and shocks for you. Ask for the brake pad measurements and other details to be included in the service writeup. Do not say anything about any problems or what others have said. Just see what they come up with in their inspection.

Sounds like there is no rush to get this done unless you notice other problems from hitting that pothole. The cost of that service should be much less than at Lexus but with the same fluids, filters and level of attention.
Old 01-12-13, 11:26 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these people trying to sell you a repair job that you don't need? The brake pads can easily be inspected. Remove the tire and take a look. If the brake pads are worn out, then its time to be replaced. What is worn out? The maintenance book should have the spec but if the thickness is less than 1/4 of an inch, its time to be replaced. If it is too thin, it will start to rub on the brake rotor causing gouging. And it will be less effective. Don't believe these people unless they inspect the pads themselves.

The same with the shock absober. Did the guy say what is wrong with it? Shock absorbers usually last very very long. Are you feeling something wrong with the way the car handles? Is there a squeek when the car bounces?

Last edited by LeoDLion; 01-12-13 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-12-13, 03:45 PM
A320pilot
Driver

I had a rear shock go out at 11,000 miles, 2 1/2. Years. Replaced under warranty. I heard a clunking noise in the rear.
Old 01-12-13, 06:01 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Last time a dealer told me that I'd need brakes at next oil change, they didn't even mention it at the next oil change. I think it was the third oil change after the "initial warning" that I finally had them done. I think that generic warning goes out to any vehicle that has 50% brake pad wear. You show up the next time saying "my brakes need doing" and they say "$absolutely$" and your brakes might still have some life in them. The simple fact that they said you don't have to do anything now is an implied admission that everything is in pretty good shape and you have lots of good life up to and beyond the next oil change interval. If there was any chance whatsoever that you would get anywhere close to minimums by next oil change, they'd be on you now to have them done!

But I agree with 330FL, ask for a measurement and judge for yourself at your comfort level. If there are no obvious problems you notice and your brake pads are a few mm above minimums, it is still perfectly safe.
Old 01-25-13, 02:31 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just took my 2010 RX 350 (27,000 mi) in for oil/filter, tire rotation, recall on the pedal/floormat issue. SA just called and said both of my rear shocks are leaking and need to be replaced under warranty .... said they have seen a handful of cases where this happens. Suspicion is a number of bad units were produced in that time frame. It happens.
Old 01-25-13, 06:13 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

This thread has a lot of good specs on brakes:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...us-dealer.html
Old 01-25-13, 08:20 PM
UTAS
Driver

I had two rear shocks replaced on our '10 RX450h for what I thought were minor noises - under warranty, thankfully.

An aside: Brakes on hybrids should last longer than non-hybrid models b/c of regenerative braking of hybrid design.
Old 04-05-14, 07:41 PM
rparian636
Driver School Candidate

Default Replace shocks? needs brakes?

After reading a bunch of these threads, I will add my comment: I don't trust the dealers. Period.
The advisors are most likely paid an incentive on how much service they sell. I stopped getting routine maintenance at my Lexus dealer because everytime I went there they tried to "sell" me with fear. Everything from alignment, to cabin air filter, etc. How on earth can they judge by mileage. 40,000 miles can be hard driving on winter roads or easy interstate travel. Huge difference on brake wear. I suggest you find a honest local mechanic who builds his business on honest and trust. Good luck with that but they do exist. Best advise is to ask around.
Old 04-06-14, 06:56 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jencamp8,
Lexus replaced my front shocks @ 20k miles due to small leaks under warranty, found during routine wheel alignment. Personally I would get it check over before warranty expires.
Old 12-09-14, 08:38 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got two rear shocks replaced under warranty today on my 2011RX350 with 39K miles.
Old 12-10-14, 09:15 AM
plusONEran
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

rear shocks commonly leak on 2010+ rx models. the warranty is 4 years (from date of first use) or 50k miles. lexus does not replace any type of leak, it has to be deemed a certain level, seepage is normal.

as for the brakes. they can last anywhere from 30-60k depending on driving habits and conditions. generally speaking people use about 1mm every 5k, at 2mm its time to change them. they start at 10mm, the guy did not push you to buy them, he was just giving you a heads up so you can plan ahead for it.

if you are out of warranty for the shocks, and it was just normal seepage, that is probably why it was not mentioned, it seems he does not want you to spend any additional money this visit.
Old 12-10-14, 04:48 PM
doc307
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2010 RX350 had rear shock leaking and was replaced as well around 35,000 miles.

As for your brakes I would want a second opinion. I did not replace the original pads
on my 4Runner until 100,000 miles. I just replaced the rears and it is at 165,000 miles now.

However, I just sold my Jeep Wrangler that I would take rock climbing and offroading and
put 3 (yes 3) sets of front and rear brakes with 2 sets of rotors on in 54,000 miles.
As you can see, driving habits greatly impact brake longevity.
Old 12-10-14, 06:36 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I recommend you take your car to a shop you trust, or trust the Lexus dealer. Once I learned to trust a shop, the knot went out of my stomach when approaching. Just a suggestion.
Ray A.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should brakes and Shocks need to replaced at 40,000 miles?