RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

curb rash

Old 12-02-14, 03:57 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default curb rash

Did a search but didn't really find a solution to a DIY repair on some heavy wheel rash. Is there a kit available for the alloys on my 2010 Rx350? Matching the paint is my concern. Thanks
Old 12-02-14, 04:02 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Posted the above before I read the previous thread. DUH. So there's no matching paint available.
Old 12-02-14, 04:08 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Honda Odyssey Silver .......... is an exact match. Not sure which year. We had one resprayed about 2 years ago. Do not have the paint code other than trying the match with a couple sample bottles or getting a look at the sample cards used at a body shop. Base / clear is readily available in aerosol cans.
I prepped the wheel myself & had shop spray it. Very easy process.
Old 12-02-14, 04:38 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Honda Odyssey Silver .......... is an exact match. Not sure which year. We had one resprayed about 2 years ago. Do not have the paint code other than trying the match with a couple sample bottles or getting a look at the sample cards used at a body shop. Base / clear is readily available in aerosol cans.
I prepped the wheel myself & had shop spray it. Very easy process.
Thanks for the info. Will try the Honda Silver. And how strange that I'm prepping the wife's RX to buy a Honda Odyssey. Two grand kids and two more on the way. Figured I'd do the repair and save some money for car seats!
Old 12-03-14, 06:55 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

There are independent wheel repair guys who travel among the dealers doing exactly these type of minor wheel and body repairs. Most of them also remove dings and scratches from the body. Call your local Lexus or Toyota dealer or any local dealer, about when they stop by.

Then try to make friends with them. My brother-in-law now just meets the guy when he is at the Acura dealer and makes his own arrangements, saving some money by eliminating the middle man.
Old 12-03-14, 08:33 AM
tigerbait
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
There are independent wheel repair guys who travel among the dealers doing exactly these type of minor wheel and body repairs. Most of them also remove dings and scratches from the body. Call your local Lexus or Toyota dealer or any local dealer, about when they stop by.

Then try to make friends with them. My brother-in-law now just meets the guy when he is at the Acura dealer and makes his own arrangements, saving some money by eliminating the middle man.
About a year and a half ago I contacted a dent repair guy and he told me to meet him at the MB dealership. Had some dings fixed on my 01 740i. There also was a tire guy there and he told me he charges $200 per wheel. I passed. Now that I'm getting ready to sell the RX I read a little about how to DIY and it doesn't look that difficult. I'm gonna check around again and if I can find someone for around $75 a tire that would be acceptable.
Old 12-03-14, 08:50 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

We've had ours six months and it still doesn't have it's first door ding.
My wife parks out in Timbuktu.
I did find a couple of scratches on the right front rim.
A 235/60/18 tire puts the rim in the danger zone.

I've always liked a little more rubber than that.
Old 12-03-14, 12:05 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Just dropped a centre hub from the off-season wheel set. I'll be back to his shop Friday & he'll have a match for me. I'll post the code once I get it. He's the same paint supplier we used 2 years ago.
Old 12-12-14, 02:23 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Left a full wheel at the paint supplier this week. PPG rep. was by & spent a couple hours with the local shop.
Not sure what they started with but this is an exact match to the wheels on our '10 RX.
It's a base colour requiring a clear top coat.
PPG rep even had a "sun-lamp" with him to duplicate an extremely bright sun lit day.
They will put this can into 4 aerosol spray cans for me tomorrow.
PPG is available anywhere in the US or Canada.
Attached Thumbnails curb rash-saint-john-20141212-00191.jpg