RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New owners with a few questions

Old 11-25-14, 04:10 PM
snowy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owners with a few questions

We just purchased a CPO 2010 RX and had a few questions.

1. My wife is much shorter than I am and when she parks the car her seat does not seem to go all the way back. The setting is on "full" for the power easy access system. Does it just not go as far back for shorter folks?

2. Related to 1 it seems that the seat auto set (keyed to the fob) only works when you unlock the door. How do you avoid getting into a seat that is way too far forward in a place such as your garage? Do you just always lock the doors?

Thanks!
Old 11-26-14, 03:33 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have a look in the manual & also this video to gain a better understanding of how the seat memory system functions.
My wife is the primary driver of our RX & I'm not in it enough to be really familiar.
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/owners/knowledge-center#
Old 11-26-14, 04:48 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snowy
2. Related to 1 it seems that the seat auto set (keyed to the fob) only works when you unlock the door. How do you avoid getting into a seat that is way too far forward in a place such as your garage? Do you just always lock the doors?
If my wife drove our RX last and she gets to the passenger door to unlock, or the vehicle was not locked, then I press the 3 button prior to getting in as she has the seat so high I hit my head if I don't. There are just the two of us but I am #3 in the RX world.
Old 11-26-14, 05:09 PM
snowy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tom558
If my wife drove our RX last and she gets to the passenger door to unlock, or the vehicle was not locked, then I press the 3 button prior to getting in as she has the seat so high I hit my head if I don't. There are just the two of us but I am #3 in the RX world.
Thanks. That is what I figured after getting squished by her setting. The only automatic solution is if the door is locked I guess.

My wife got position 3 since it is closer to reach for her if the seat is all the way back for me
Old 11-26-14, 05:13 PM
snowy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Have a look in the manual & also this video to gain a better understanding of how the seat memory system functions.
My wife is the primary driver of our RX & I'm not in it enough to be really familiar.
http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/owners/knowledge-center#
Thanks a handy page! It did not explain the auto mode for getting out. My guess is that easy access means it slides the seat back some. If you are short it does not go all the way back like if you are tall.
Old 11-26-14, 08:06 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Our '11RX driver's seat goes all the way back when the engine is shut off. Easy out. The seats stay that way regardless of door lock or unlock. When someone enters, the seats stay all the way back until the engine start button is pushed. The seat then goes to where it was last set. Pressing buttons 1-2-or 3 overrides the previous seat part of the program. Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-14, 05:00 AM
snowy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raylor4
Our '11RX driver's seat goes all the way back when the engine is shut off. Easy out. The seats stay that way regardless of door lock or unlock. When someone enters, the seats stay all the way back until the engine start button is pushed. The seat then goes to where it was last set. Pressing buttons 1-2-or 3 overrides the previous seat part of the program. Hope this helps.
That is what I thought they would do but for my wife's setting it only goes back part way. The user setting is back full but that does not seem to make a difference. Maybe they changed that in the 11 model?
Old 11-28-14, 09:41 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if the "seat move back" setting is tied to the preference settings. Maybe when you change the setting and then your wife presses her button or unlocks the car it changes it back? Try using her key and preferences and then saving the settings again and see if that solves the problem.
Old 11-29-14, 06:50 PM
snowy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tom558
I wonder if the "seat move back" setting is tied to the preference settings. Maybe when you change the setting and then your wife presses her button or unlocks the car it changes it back? Try using her key and preferences and then saving the settings again and see if that solves the problem.
That is what the Lexus tech on the phone suggested. I reset it to full for easy out but it still does not go all the way back for my wife's setting. Not that big of a deal but it is a pain to get in if the seat is so far forward for me. I can just hit unlock and it sets for me I guess.
Old 11-29-14, 08:45 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Default Revision of seat activation

Originally Posted by raylor4
Actually, today I learned that when I get in with the seats all the way back, I can bring the seats to my position by first pushing my number on the door, THEN press the start button, that brings the steering wheel to my position. Hope this helps rather than confuses. How are you doing with the memory seats?
Old 11-29-14, 08:50 PM
raylor4
Instructor

When your wife stops the engine, the seat should go all the way back, for easy egress, same as it does for you. The seat should stay all the way back until a memory number is pushed. If not, I would make an appointment at the dealer and tell them the way you want the seat to work. That way they will have something to shoot for. I don't think the seat is supposed to go part way back, but I could be wrong.
Ray A.
Old 11-30-14, 01:40 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a setting that allows you to make the seat go back in three positions, none, partial and full. It is in the settings section. Make sure you use the key fob that your wife uses while adjusingt this for her.
Old 11-30-14, 09:54 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by hovbuild
There is a setting that allows you to make the seat go back in three positions, none, partial and full. It is in the settings section. Make sure you use the key fob that your wife uses while adjusingt this for her.
Excellent, pertinent information.
Old 12-01-14, 01:57 PM
snowy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hovbuild
Yup tried that. It is called the Driver’s Seat Easy Exit and it is set to full with both key fobs. I also tried setting my wife's seat to position 2 and still it will not go back.

There are no Lexus dealers in our state (Vermont) but the next time we are near one I will have them give it a look.

Here are the personal settings in case anyone else wonders
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_with_nav_LPS.pdf
Old 12-02-14, 08:28 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

I believe if the seat doesn't go halfway back, it won't go all the way back like your setting does. You are correct in your original assumption that for shorter people, the "Full" setting doesn't go fully to the rear. If it did, when a short person got into the car, they couldn't reach the brake pedal to start the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owners with a few questions