RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

In the ditch - close call

Old 11-20-14, 06:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Unhappy In the ditch - close call

Wife was driving back home from an errand, hit black ice, and no tires or VDIM was going to defeat the laws of physics. RX oversteered and into the ditch.

Luckily the RX just missed the wooden fence post. She called me in a panic and I gave her the Lexus Roadside Assistance. She called them up with a promise of a 45-60 min wait. No show. At that time, I decided to leave work early, got there an additional 45 mins later and still no promised tow truck.

After a few minutes/attempts of rocking the RX, changing steering angles, locking the AWD and disabling the traction control, I managed to dig out of the muddy, grassy, and snow filled ditch over the slope and finally onto the road.

Impressions. This has been the most serious we ever got stuck in with the RX. Despite 50% worn All-Season Michelin Latitudes (not very good in snow/ice when new, let alone now), the RX impressed me getting out after only a few attempts. Trick was locking the diff and disabling traction control so all power was 50/50 split and unimpaired. Without doing this, wife's prior attempts were fruitless. Now if only we had better A/S or winter tires, we'd be out in no time (or perhaps never in the ditch in the first place).
Attached Thumbnails In the ditch - close call-ditch1.jpg   In the ditch - close call-ditch2.jpg   In the ditch - close call-ditch3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Broc (02-11-20)
Old 11-20-14, 06:55 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That could have been a lot worse. Good to hear you, your wife and the RX are all OK.

I'm concerned with the lack of response from Lexus Roadside Assistance. Did you get any updates? Did you ever hear anything else from them. I reduced my AAA coverage down to the basic program figuring LRA would be our first call. Does anyone know if this is typical or due to heavy call volume due to the weather?
Old 11-20-14, 07:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks Tom558.

It was my concern as well on the poor response. When we got home (2.5 hrs after my wife's initial call) , I called them back as a courtesy to them to cancel the tow truck - they appreciated that yet they were surprised the truck still did not arrive but at the same time they mentioned how busy it was today. I didn't give them a hard time. In fairness, it was the first "significant" snowfall in the Toronto area and LRA stated how busy of a day it was. I believe it. Many accidents were reported throughout the day's news and while my wife waited, the cops were already in the neighborhood and told her she was the 7th car that went out of the road today on that same stretch of road.

As an aside, I'm thinking how horrible the conditions are in Buffalo with their 80 INCHES of snow, and how lucky we are just 90 miles north to have just had a few inches.
Old 11-20-14, 07:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow corrado. I'm glad your wife and the RX-F are unscathed. So unbelievably close to the wood post It could've been a whole different story very easily. She is lucky. I'm sure you're thinking the NX can't come in quickly enough so you don't have to worry about the tires. Stay safe until then.
Old 11-20-14, 07:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Thanks Anita. Yes, what a CLOSE call. After the oversteer, the RX plowed sideways and the front bumper just missing the post by an inch! All we needed now was an accidented/repaired RX just days away from trading it for the new NX. We were fortunate indeed!
Old 11-20-14, 07:28 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, not the kind of snow photos we're looking for but very glad to hear your successful report of getting it out. And that no one was injured.

We're very familiar down here in Dixie with black ice. You're right, it will top physics any day. Only way to beat it is stay home till it's gone.

Now I'd like to see some photos of AWD (h) models in Buffalo throwing up snow behind them as they pass the truckers .
Old 11-20-14, 07:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ Ice in south Georgia? Man, our climate is changing!
Old 11-20-14, 07:42 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad to hear everything worked out. Thanks god that I don't have to deal with any snow here in the bay area.
Old 11-21-14, 05:21 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad to hear everything is OK. Black ice is a scary thing. You don't know your in it til it's too late.
NX is only days away? I'll be awaiting your delivery photos.
Old 11-21-14, 05:48 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

North GA, North of Atlanta. And yes we usually get a few days a year everything is shut down. Note photo on left.
Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ Ice in south Georgia? Man, our climate is changing!
Old 11-21-14, 06:04 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Wife was driving back home from an errand, hit black ice, and no tires or VDIM was going to defeat the laws of physics. RX oversteered and into the ditch.

Luckily the RX just missed the wooden fence post. She called me in a panic and I gave her the Lexus Roadside Assistance. She called them up with a promise of a 45-60 min wait. No show. At that time, I decided to leave work early, got there an additional 45 mins later and still no promised tow truck.

After a few minutes/attempts of rocking the RX, changing steering angles, locking the AWD and disabling the traction control, I managed to dig out of the muddy, grassy, and snow filled ditch over the slope and finally onto the road.

Impressions. This has been the most serious we ever got stuck in with the RX. Despite 50% worn All-Season Michelin Latitudes (not very good in snow/ice when new, let alone now), the RX impressed me getting out after only a few attempts. Trick was locking the diff and disabling traction control so all power was 50/50 split and unimpaired. Without doing this, wife's prior attempts were fruitless. Now if only we had better A/S or winter tires, we'd be out in no time (or perhaps never in the ditch in the first place).
Hey CorradoMR2,

Glad to hear it turned out okay and no one gets hurts. It was indeed a close call.

For Lexus roadside assistance, my experience shows it could take a while especially if that day has a bad road condition or a lot of people have asked for road assistance.

But actually you could ask any towing company to help and gets reimbursed by Lexus Canada. Just let the towing company know you are going to get reimbursed as there is a price ceiling. Last winter my previous RWD IS needed to get pulled out of ice and the towing company charged me Cdn$130.

Also thanks for the info about the Michelin Latitude tires -- our RX was originally equipped with the Bridgestone one but we replaced it with Michelin Latitude this summer. When we went to tire shop last week to switch to winter tires, the tire shop found out we need a new set of winter tires and they have to order them.

So this week the RX is still with the Latitude. I am glad my wife didn't hit any black ice when she commute. Must be cautious as there is still a few days before we could switch to winter tires.
Old 11-21-14, 06:23 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Really glad your wife is OK and the car suffered no damage! That sure was a close one.
I put snow tires/wheels on our RX the night before the first snow storm. IS was on them a week earlier. It is the best safety investment one can make.
Neither ABS nor VDIM can create traction if it's not there.

Can't really blame Roadside Assistance. They only work with local towing companies, which typically are very busy during this season.
Old 11-21-14, 07:28 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

so glad all is well corrado. yes in deed it could have been worse. God bless my friend.
Old 11-21-14, 01:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks for all the well wishes!

@Cruiter: Always wondered about the snow in your pic! Thanks for clarifying.

@AndyL: My experience with the Latitudes has been mediocre at best in snow/ice traction. And this is also from experience owning a Venza with the same tires (albeit 245/50/20s). In short, I've experienced better traction from many other A/S tires including the poorly regarded Bridgestone Turanza EL-400s on the IS.
Old 11-22-14, 05:09 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Close call, happy no one hurt or anything damaged.
Once traction has been lost on black ice , you're just along for the ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In the ditch - close call