RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Decisions, Decisions which one to buy??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 07:14 PM
Tecwerks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mors
This is interesting. Just goes to show you still have to look 100% under a car to see if you can see damage.
I'm not sure if this is the 2012 car you were looking at, but I did see where carfax did NOT have accident damage, but autocheck does.

2012 RX 350 For Sale
CarFax (no accident listed)
AutoCheck (accident reported)

AutoCheck doesn't show what was repaired; however, it at least warns you that there indeed was an accident.
This is getting stranger by the minute. Carfax has nothing regarding accident or repairs. Autocheck has a police report regarding the occurrence of an accident, MyLexus.com lists the repairs. Really a mixed bag. Carfax seems to be 100 percent unreliable. I would not be surprised if carfax has not been sued yet, well maybe they have or at least have paid off on the buyback guarantee.
Old 11-21-14, 02:31 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even better yet the "scam" with trading in a car that had a minor cosmetic accident...They hammer you for sure and t then claim they have to wholesale the car because of it....seen a 17000 trade in go down to 14000 because of a report even with the paper work from the insurance co showing it was just cosmetic. Next accident not our fault will be a law suit to reclaim the lost equity due to a carfax report....They play both sides of the reports, none show on a leased car that they leased and hammer you on a trade in......This time I had the dealer (different) pull up the service record. They didn't want to do it because it showed some painting and scratch repair due to somebody at the dealership backing it into another car. I made them knock off 600 dollars and they went fot it only after I took it to a body shop I do business at to make sure it was just cosmetic.
Old 11-21-14, 06:52 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Some of the comments on this thread puzzle me. What I am hearing is that if it has been wrecked and repaired, that you should run. Period. In my humble opinion, that is just plain wrong. It definitely means you want to check it over thoroughly and inspect the repaired areas closely, make sure it seems mechanically sound and drives well with no more rattles than normal. But it doesn't mean you should simply avoid it.

It sounds like the price is very competitive, probably because the dealer knew it had been in an accident. If it has been repaired properly by a reputable shop, it is still a fine vehicle. You just need to be more cautious and thorough in your evaluation before you decide on a purchase.

I have owned vehicles that were previously totaled. My father ran a repair shop and it was the only way I could get into a car that I wanted in my youth. It turned out to be a great car and I never had a lick of trouble with it.

My point is don't run from it merely because it has been in an accident. Do all your homework and use that as bargaining points if you really like the car. Just give it a thorough test drive and visual inspection so you know the score.
Old 11-21-14, 07:17 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree don't run from a car that was involved in an accident, but from the dealer that doesn't let yo know it has.