RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help please with 2010 RX350 (rattles and creaks)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-14, 09:10 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Help please with 2010 RX350 (rattles and creaks)

Recently bought a CPO 2010 RX350 with 57k miles on it at a dealer on 8/30/14. Its developed quite a bit of interior rattles and creaks from what sounds like the structure over bumps and roads that aren't smooth. Plus the sunroof has a high frequency rattle. None of these were present during the test drive. How's everyone else's RX holding up from the same year?

I've contacted the dealer about a resolution. What should I expect from them? I offered to trade it in for a different vehicle. Should I contact Lexus regarding the quality issues that should not be present in a CPO vehicle?

Thanks,
Old 11-11-14, 09:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

situman, sorry you're experiencing problems with your 350. Noise can come from many sources. Some might be caused by the weather. It's been pretty cold around here the last few nights. Since the origin is unknown, the first thing to do is search the forum and see if anything matches what you're experiencing. I did one using 'cabin noise.' Click here to see the results and, in some cases, fixes for the problem. Personally I'm creak free at almost five years. Trading in is an option if the dealer agrees. But give them the opportunity to fix the noises first. They might be familiar with the more common ones. Good luck and welcome to CL.
Old 11-11-14, 12:01 PM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a sunshade for the trunk remove it and go for a ride.....Also the center rear seat sometime doesn't engage the lock and it may rattle.
Old 11-11-14, 02:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by hovbuild
If you have a sunshade for the trunk remove it and go for a ride.....Also the center rear seat sometime doesn't engage the lock and it may rattle.

Agreed.

Also agree with Anita on colder temps causing some temporary squeaks here and there (normal).

My '13 had a rear seat rattle which was mostly fixed. To test, lower the entire rear seat completely flat and listen for noises. In my case there were none when it was lowered.

Besides that and some ticking around the B-pillar, rest is rock-solid.

A final note. Check your tire PSI is set lower. Dealers usually overinflate to 36-38PSI increasing the ride stiffness and hence rattles.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-14, 04:18 PM
heisnuts
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see what the dealer says since rattles/noises will not be covered under the CPO warranty. I am sure that since you just bought the car the selling dealer will do the right thing and cover the labor cost internally to find the noises and fix them. It usually requires finding the area that is causing the noise and then insulating the area to stop the noises.
Old 11-12-14, 11:38 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Put a dab of vaseline on the rubber bumpers protruding at the inside lower edge of the front doors. The rubber can dry out & rub against the paint causing an irritating squeak.
I grease all the rubber weather stops around the doors & hatch every Fall. Vaseline works well on a cloth.
Old 11-12-14, 06:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Put a dab of vaseline on the rubber bumpers protruding at the inside lower edge of the front doors. The rubber can dry out & rub against the paint causing an irritating squeak.
I grease all the rubber weather stops around the doors & hatch every Fall. Vaseline works well on a cloth.
+1.

The rubber will squeak around the door since it very slightly moves over uneven roads. Vaseline helps!
Old 11-13-14, 06:36 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agreed.

Also agree with Anita on colder temps causing some temporary squeaks here and there (normal).

My '13 had a rear seat rattle which was mostly fixed. To test, lower the entire rear seat completely flat and listen for noises. In my case there were none when it was lowered.

Besides that and some ticking around the B-pillar, rest is rock-solid.

A final note. Check your tire PSI is set lower. Dealers usually overinflate to 36-38PSI increasing the ride stiffness and hence rattles.

Good luck.
Is the B Pillar right where the "oh crap" handle is? I hear creaking while braking. The dealer said I would lose 4k if I give it back. I can trade it into something else if anything he said and they may be able to give me a little more. There's a CPO 2011 ES 350 for $22k no navigation. Looks mint and feels very nice inside. Only 34k miles. I'll give the dealer a chance to fix the issues. Just higher expectations for a CPO vehicle.

The one major creak is from the dashboard and I'm pretty sure its from the cheap plastics surrounding the navigation. It makes the same noise when I press on it.

I'm also going to have my mechanic put it up on a lift to see if the cars been in an accident and repaired privately.
Old 11-13-14, 08:06 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Squeaks are usually a very simple fix. Problem lies in finding the source so you can fix it.
Chased a similar squeak on my F150 for quite a few months. Cold weather would produce an annoying noise somewhere near the passenger door. Had the door skin off a few times without any luck. Side panel, outside of the dash on passenger side was the issue. Took it off, wiped it down, sprayed the clips with a silicon aerosol.In my line of work the truck gets very dirty at times, both outside & inside.
Problem resolved.

Still working on the rear seat rattles in her RX !
Old 11-13-14, 12:21 PM
05ls430nj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Recently bought a CPO 2010 RX350 with 57k miles on it at a dealer on 8/30/14. Its developed quite a bit of interior rattles and creaks from what sounds like the structure over bumps and roads that aren't smooth. Plus the sunroof has a high frequency rattle. None of these were present during the test drive. How's everyone else's RX holding up from the same year?

I've contacted the dealer about a resolution. What should I expect from them? I offered to trade it in for a different vehicle. Should I contact Lexus regarding the quality issues that should not be present in a CPO vehicle?

Thanks,
When I bought my 2011 RX, it also had a lot noise inside the cabin, two issues on my RX;

1) Steering column noise, this is a Lexus defect and they had a service bulletin on it, please search this form and find out more info.
2) Glove box missing hardware inside, this was fixed under warranty.

Hope this helps.