RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Out of the IS350, into the RX450. But, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 07:19 PM
Nezumi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of the IS350, into the RX450. But, need advice!

Well I finally bit the bullet. I didn't feel like I wanted to experiment with the rumors of the 2016 RX redesigns when I love the 3rd gen version so much. I just picked up my car today but I have a couple of questions for all of you.

During the final signing process, they made it clear to me that the Lexus warranty is now a basic coverage warranty and not a bumper to bumper coverage like it was back when I purchased my 2010 IS. That seemed odd to me, but I guess that's how they're trying to make their money. Therefore, they presented me a bunch of options. One to buy the extended warranty to give me a bumper to bumper warranty. I'm not sure if this one is worth it. Those of you that have purchased a car recently where this warranty change happened, what did you opt to do?

Another option to purchase an appearance warranty. This one actually sounds kind of appealing. They claim that they will repair all upholstery and leather from damages that occurs within 5 years, regardless of how it happens. So I suppose this means if my kids tear up the backseat and I can't get the cuts, stains or rips out, they will fix or replace it for free. I think that was like $1250 or something. I don't know if it's worth it, but it's somewhat appealing.

They also offered the prepaid maintenance package, but I'm basically auto-inclined to never purchase that kind of stuff. Has anyone purchased this and found it to actually be worthwhile?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-06-14, 08:36 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

...Standard warranty is called basic warranty and should be bumper to bumper. That of course means any defect in the workmanship or materials of any part of the vehicle. If the salesman is saying otherwise, its a lie. You have the option to purchase extended warranty at anytime up until the 4 year/50K miles of the original warranty. Of course, power train/hybrid components are warranted for longer.

I generally pass on all forms of warranty. If the leather rips, they will not replace the seat but probably will hire a leather repair service to perform the fix. Its amazing what those people can do nowadays to the point where you can barely see anything...and it won't cost you anywhere close to $1250
Old 10-06-14, 08:45 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with RXSF. Stick with the warranty that comes with the car.
Old 10-06-14, 09:09 PM
Nezumi
Driver

Thanks for the feedback, this makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-06-14, 10:09 PM
mohrd
Driver

Dealership/sales adviser make good commission selling warranties, protection packages and life insurance on finance contracts...
Old 10-07-14, 06:23 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like the finance guy was nickel-and-diming you.
Lexus warranty has not changed. If anything, hybrid has a longer warranty on its electrical drivetrain.

As with any warranty, there is a reason they are trying to sell it to you - to make money. You can put this money in a bank and in the long term will come ahead. Think of it as self-insured.
Old 10-08-14, 05:58 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

X2, money is best saved. But if you like insurance than .....
Originally Posted by raylor4
I agree with RXSF. Stick with the warranty that comes with the car.
Old 10-08-14, 06:33 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

^ X3, I just turned down all these extra plans when I purchased the F-Sport several weeks ago.

However, if the appearance plan is something that is appealing to you then try to negotiate the price down.. There is usually a lot of margin in those plans..

Good Luck..
Old 10-08-14, 03:41 PM
felix168
Rookie

You should have gone onto the Lexus site and looked at the warranty section right in front of him... I know I would.
Old 10-09-14, 07:28 AM
Nezumi
Driver

Originally Posted by felix168
You should have gone onto the Lexus site and looked at the warranty section right in front of him... I know I would.
The problem really was that it was at the end of the day and I was already late and my hungry, prenant wife and kid were at home waiting for me to bring home dinner. I basically tried to hurry up the entire process and so I wanted to get out of there ASAP. I didn't really believe what I was hearing, so I just asked her politely to just give me the night to go over the materials and let me know. I was really impressed with the speed in which I was able to finish that process, but REALLY unimpressed on the way the options were laid out and what I should buy. That will definitely be going onto the survey when Lexus calls me.

In the end, I ended up not going with anything because, as many of you said, why bother dumping my money there? I didn't get any of it on my previous Lexus, so I see no reason to get it on this one. Although I do have kids now that will probably trash my back seats, I guess I'll deal with that later
Old 10-09-14, 07:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out what the dealer feels is the difference between a "basic" warranty and a "bumper to bumper" warranty. Lexus does use the term "basic" to describe the warranty, but I believe it to be nothing more than another term for "bumper to bumper".
Old 10-09-14, 08:50 AM
Nezumi
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm still trying to figure out what the dealer feels is the difference between a "basic" warranty and a "bumper to bumper" warranty. Lexus does use the term "basic" to describe the warranty, but I believe it to be nothing more than another term for "bumper to bumper".
She tried to make it very clear to me that basic means that unless there was a recall or a manufacturer defect, they wouldn't repair the issue free of charge. Her example was if you nav died, they wouldn't warranty it. I find that to be hard to believe, but who knows.
Old 10-09-14, 08:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Nezumi
She tried to make it very clear to me that basic means that unless there was a recall or a manufacturer defect, they wouldn't repair the issue free of charge. Her example was if you nav died, they wouldn't warranty it. I find that to be hard to believe, but who knows.
Thanks for the additional info/clarification. She is incorrect in her example.
Old 10-09-14, 10:15 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I would ask to read the terms of the warranty. The ones I've read spell out clearly what's covered and what's not. Sometimes warranties have a synopsis at the beginning which is easy to read.
Old 10-11-14, 03:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

First, Congratulations on your new RX and welcome to the 3RX Forum!

I agree with all the above posts, skip all these cash grabs. And here's why since it's the same old story : http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...u-can-buy.html

If you're concerned about stains, rips and tears, get a color-coordinated (discreet) full rear seat cover you can get say at Walmart for 30-50$ until your kids are old enough. Note the rear of the RX is near limo-black tinted so no one will notice the covers but you in the car and the kids' car seats will cover them up anyway. In short, I had covers and/or blankets on the seats for my kids and no issues. The rare time something spilled, remove the cover and pop it in the washing machine. Plus, if you take care of your vehicles with great care, your kids will grow up to see how much you value a clean car and will respect that and better yet participate with you in the care and maintenance of the vehicle.

Today, I have individual covers for my pre-teen kids since I don't mind their look and it still gives me some peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails Out of the IS350, into the RX450. But, need advice!-310010d1388611531-rx350-rear-seat-covers-seat1.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-11-14 at 03:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Out of the IS350, into the RX450. But, need advice!