RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Snow chains vs snow cables?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 02:24 AM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Snow chains vs snow cables?

Do you use snow chains or snow cables for your RX?
I am trying to decide between a set of SCC Super Z snow cables vs a set of Thule XG-12 snow chains. I used to have snow cables for my Camry and they are fine, but the RX has much more clearance so both chains and cables will work. My main concern is chains breaking and mess up the wheel well/paint. Are the chains more durable? Thanks.
Old 10-05-14, 08:13 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Regarding durability, I'd say chains and cables are about the same. Regarding traction, in unplowed deep snow, chains. On plowed roads, cables should be adequate.

From Car Talk: "I'm going to suggest you ask around town. These folks will have the personal experience to tell you what works in your area. Everyone here only has a guess as to what works and what does not.
Personal experience trumps theory any day of the week." http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...r-driving-tips

From eHow.com: http://www.ehow.com/about_5072462_di...ow-cables.html

It takes a lot to break a tire chain. You'd probably have to spin a chained tire on dry pavement to break one. For peace of mind, carry some tie-wraps to tie off an errant chain or cable.

My rule of thumb is, if chains are required in California by CHP or CalTrans, stay home. You may want to consider snow tires, (not all-season) if you're going to be working at a ski resort. Look or ask around at the ski area to see what others are using.
Personally, I used chains on my dad's car in the 50's and used cables on former sedans. Our RX has never seen enough snow to require traction devices.

I live in the Auburn area, Sierra foothills, ski about six times a year at Tahoe, and stay home during storms when chain requirements are up. I know this doesn't pertain to your question, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.
PS Heavy snow is NOT forecasted for the upcoming winter. Drought conditions may prevail.

Last edited by raylor4; 10-05-14 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Expand answer
Old 10-05-14, 10:08 AM
t2014rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My background.. I get around 35+ days a season on the hill (mostly all mammoth) minus last year due to life circumstances.

From my experience chains work well in all conditions when needed. They'll definitely do the job, but can be harder to put on if you don't do it often. Even when you do it's still a PITA. (there are things you can do to help make it easier, hints to follow).

I have been using cables for the past 8 years and have not had a problem with them. They are much easier to put on than chains IMO. They are tough and can last on light snowfall as the CHP in Big Bear makes everyone chain / cable up with the slightest bit of snow on the ground. I have used cables in 6+ inches of snow without a problem.

Things to make it easier to put on chains / cables.
1. Practice at the beginning of the snow season or before your 1st trip (yearly).
2. Have a tarp (buy at home depot for $5) to put on the ground so you don't get wet and dirty.
3. Have disposable gloves to use when putting on chains / cables.
4. Have a hazard triangle or flashlight with strobe for safety if you are chaining up on the side of the road not in a chaining area (optional).
5. Buy a 2x4 piece of wood (cut it to size) so you can run over it with your tire if you are using chains (makes chaining up a lot easier).
5. Mark the cables with paint (e.g. red=right, green=left) as they are side specific.

All of this information and more I got from this webpage, Highwayman. He has a wealth of knowledge, helps stranded drivers in the san diego area, and is super nice. I know people who have gone to him and he has dialed them in on chains.

http://www.chainsbysnowbird.com/

http://www.sandiegohighwayman.com/

Good Luck!!
Old 10-06-14, 03:14 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Alternative to Chains

I bought Auto Sock from our Lexus dealer in Western WA. They're made in Finland or somewhere up there and appear to work well in snow. Since they are fabric, there will never be damage to your WHEELS (which I have ruined before with tire chains).
I purchased these fully intending to never have to use them; I only needed them in the car to avoid a ticket for traveling without chains when the Snoqualmie Pass sign is lit up for "chains required" except for four/all wheel drive vehicles.
Old 10-06-14, 09:55 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Thanks all! I've already had a pair of autosock for traction when it's not required by law. I think Nevada is still not cool with autosock. Anyway, looks like cables and chains are both durable if used properly. I'm going to get a set of cables then.
Old 10-12-14, 02:27 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Proper snow tires meet the requirements of those gov't signs, don't they? Not ones that say "M&S" for Mud & Snow, but the ones that have the mountain with the snowflake on it.
Blizzaks are THE snow tire to buy, in my opinion.
Old 10-13-14, 07:51 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Unfortunately in California there are chain restriction areas where one needs to have traction devices beyond just good winter tires. (http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/wo.htm)
Old 10-13-14, 08:26 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tqh
Unfortunately in California there are chain restriction areas where one needs to have traction devices beyond just good winter tires. (http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/wo.htm)
Well... The site admits the road will be shut before r3, so the lesson is clearly that snow tires are awesome.
*California of all places. The Coquihala highway through the Rocky Mountains doesn't even go that nuts.
Old 10-13-14, 11:29 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

the highway is *usually* closed before R3.
Old 11-16-14, 01:32 PM
krismorr8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend cable chains - v-bar chains are too heavy and nasty for a 350, worth the more $$
Old 11-16-14, 01:50 PM
dug320
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have driven in California in the snow than you know why chains/cables are required!

I have used both so it is personal preference.

The Coq. travels through the Canadian Cascades. The Rockies are more easterly.
Old 11-29-14, 10:08 AM
DoggieDays
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tahoe

I'm traveling to South Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area this winter. I have an RX F Sport (it's AWD) with all season tires. Would I still need to carry snow chains if warnings say chains required except for 4wheel or AWD? My RX is equipped with all season and not snow tires so I'm not sure if this makes a difference to cal trans.
Old 11-29-14, 10:40 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DoggieDays
I'm traveling to South Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area this winter. I have an RX F Sport (it's AWD) with all season tires. Would I still need to carry snow chains if warnings say chains required except for 4wheel or AWD? My RX is equipped with all season and not snow tires so I'm not sure if this makes a difference to cal trans.
+1 I'd like to know this also.
Old 11-29-14, 11:33 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We went in the snow twice with our 2002 AWD Highlander with Mud/Snow ties and carried cables both times. We were waved through the CHP chain stops but when on packed snow and ice did not have as much traction as I would have liked. I was ignorant of driving in the snow and ice, younger and more likely to take a risk.

Today, we would not go in the same conditions.

To answer your question, take chains/cables. There is a big difference between being waved through a checkpoint and being safe.
Old 11-30-14, 03:20 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tom558
We went in the snow twice with our 2002 AWD Highlander with Mud/Snow ties and carried cables both times. We were waved through the CHP chain stops but when on packed snow and ice did not have as much traction as I would have liked. I was ignorant of driving in the snow and ice, younger and more likely to take a risk.

Today, we would not go in the same conditions.

To answer your question, take chains/cables. There is a big difference between being waved through a checkpoint and being safe.
Good point. Why be lazy and take a chance.

Quick Reply: Snow chains vs snow cables?