RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX vs 2015 NX vs 2016 RX help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 06:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Lots of good points above. Nothing really to add other than the fact that I'm moving to an NX because I don't need the extra rear seat room and cargo space for the child seats, diaper bag, play pen, stroller, toys, and so on as my kids are well past that now. The RX is perfect for the starter family and for the quiet smooth ride.

If you will wait for the 2016 RX (that is likely still a year from now) check out the NX (non F-Sport for the cushiest ride) so at least you can truly make an informed decision (2015 RX? NX? or wait for the '16 RX)...

Either way, you're getting a Lexus!
Old 10-07-14, 06:12 AM
Nezumi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to let you all know I decided on the 2015 450h. I've loved the 3rd gen for a long time and I just wanted to dump my money into something I know and love. If the 2016 brings about changes that I actually like (from all the rumors so far, nothing sounds appealing to me) then I will consider buying another one in a few years. I figured, in this case, it's like finding something you just know you like. It'll get old and the tech and features might get outdated, but I don't see myself ever being bothered enough by these things. I had my 2010 IS350 for 4.5 years and the tech was WAY worse in that car than these

I also opted for something muted and comfortable. I may be in the market for a fun car, perhaps an M3 or something later once the kids grow up into teenagers.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. Loving the car so far! Even though I only drove like 3 miles in it
Old 10-07-14, 01:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Very good, Nezumi! Congrats and enjoy your new ride!
Old 10-07-14, 03:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Congrats on the h. Hope you're enjoying the library quiet and smooth drive!
Old 10-07-14, 03:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Well OP, it's safe to say you got the best of the 3rd generation RX. It's the most refined to date (MY10-MY15) and there won't be any more soon. Give the 4RX a chance to debut, a model year or two to add more features and you'll be pining for a 4RXh. In the meantime enjoy your new ride!
Old 10-07-14, 06:17 PM
Nezumi
Driver

Thanks all. I definitely am enjoying this ride. I do miss the sportiness of the IS350 with sport suspension, but this is just extremely comfortable. The non-ML sound system is actually quite good! I was really surprised. I have to say that I also just love the bamboo interior. It was super weird at first, but after driving it for a while, I came to love the way it looks and feels.

Glad to make the move. I love the cargo space
Old 10-07-14, 08:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Nezumi
Thanks all. I definitely am enjoying this ride. I do miss the sportiness of the IS350 with sport suspension, but this is just extremely comfortable. The non-ML sound system is actually quite good! I was really surprised. I have to say that I also just love the bamboo interior. It was super weird at first, but after driving it for a while, I came to love the way it looks and feels.

Glad to make the move. I love the cargo space
The bamboo really is the best. Try out the 'Sport Mode' in the sub-menu on the steering wheel. Gives a more taut steering feel.
Old 10-08-14, 11:50 AM
Nezumi
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The bamboo really is the best. Try out the 'Sport Mode' in the sub-menu on the steering wheel. Gives a more taut steering feel.
Will definitely have to give this a try.
Old 10-11-14, 07:56 PM
Torqueless
Driver School Candidate

Im having the same dilemma in deciding between the upcoming rx and the nx. I feel as though the current set up is perfect in my need for interior space but then i hear the nx will be roomy as well. If i can save the extra $$ and still have sufficient interior room, i might just go with the nx.
Old 10-12-14, 07:07 AM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i was going to trade my RX350 for NX but having a second thought because of this.

1. Turbo engine reliability plus requires Premium Gas
2. Frequent Synthetic oil only interval change
3. Spark plugs recommended change (30k to 45k)
4. inline 4 cylinder turbo will increase your power, but will decrease your mpg, you get more power, but you also get more heat. The engine parts will heat up more than otherwise, and the extra heat may eventually do some expensive-to-repair damage. Likewise, there is also an additional load to the cooling system.
5. You have to pay to play,
Old 10-12-14, 08:41 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The NX even its base form is not a cushy ride. If thats what you want, youll be disappointed. I test drove an F Sport and Premier back to back. Both were on 18" wheels and the ride was pretty bad to say the least.

The F Sport made up for the ride in handling but I felt like the premier didnt have a good balance between ride and comfort. It was too hard no matter what. The base NX is about the same stiffness as an RX F Sport and the F Sport NX is about the same stiffness as an Audi Q5 S line on 20" rims.

The suspension was the worst part of it for me, it oscillates over imperfections way too much!
Old 10-16-14, 10:56 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by vince22
i was going to trade my RX350 for NX but having a second thought because of this.

1. Turbo engine reliability plus requires Premium Gas
2. Frequent Synthetic oil only interval change
3. Spark plugs recommended change (30k to 45k)
4. inline 4 cylinder turbo will increase your power, but will decrease your mpg, you get more power, but you also get more heat. The engine parts will heat up more than otherwise, and the extra heat may eventually do some expensive-to-repair damage. Likewise, there is also an additional load to the cooling system.
5. You have to pay to play,
Wow I thought sure I would be leaning toward the NX, but after reading your comment I might be better with and get a better deal with an end of generation 2015 RX!
Old 10-18-14, 10:19 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
Wow I thought sure I would be leaning toward the NX, but after reading your comment I might be better with and get a better deal with an end of generation 2015 RX!
Ate my dealers brains out to let me test an NX300h F Sport with AVS!

If you're buying an NX, choose the 200t, simply because the 300h feels really heavy and barge like due to the lack of power.

AVS - Its good! Lets just say it softens the ride of the NX F Sport in normal mode compared to a standard F Sport and stiffens it to about the same level as the Standard F Sport in Sport mode. Well worth getting IMO.

As for the NX, its still a no go as the dealers are refusing to let me custom order an NX with ML, HUD, 18" F Sport alloy wheels in grey (instead of the 2 tone ones) and 360 degree view bearing in mind none of these are even available in the UK.

I thought id go with atomic silver + red + panoramic roof + AVS NX200t F Sport but the lack of options are killing me at the moment. Id feel like im going backwards if I got an NX without the toys
Old 10-20-14, 03:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Rayaans: you're the first I've seen review and compare the different AVS modes and to the non-AVS F-Sport NX. Also on providing a comparison to the RX. Unfortunately, the US does not offer AVS, though Canada does on the top F-Sport Series 2, go figure.

Vince22: it's premature to make reliability predictions on the new turbo four, however based on the full in-house development of the engine over several years more than typical engine development, I would bet this engine will be top in reliability across all turbo fours. Premium fuel is a bummer, but typical in the turbo arena especially in the luxury class. Finally, oil in the majority of current engines is synthetic to reduce friction and improve fuel economy. Not sure where you got the higher frequency information on the oil and spark plug changes for the NX so I'm curious to know.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-20-14 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-22-14, 11:14 AM
rodblder44
Driver School Candidate

I"m another person ready to buy a RX sport but am worried that I might like the 2016 alot more and be disappointed with the old rx then. Does anyone have any real info as to what the biggest changes might be in the 2016 RX? Expecially any engine news? Not interested in the NX from what i've seen so far. Want the comfort and size of the RX.
thx

Quick Reply: 2015 RX vs 2015 NX vs 2016 RX help!