RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote starter installed but cannot initialize - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-14, 06:53 AM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote starter installed but cannot initialize - HELP!

Hi,

I got OEM remote starter from sewell, followed instructions to the letter and got stuck completely at step where it says to connect white RES diagnostic connector and then press start button 14 times consequently.

Instructions say after you do that car should blink hazard lits once, then you start car and it blinks again. if anything fails during this process car should blink 3 times.

well, I repeated that step several times - nothing blinks no matter how many time you try.
I connected and disconnected this white connector - zero reaction. What is the problem?

My car is 2014 RX 350 - was procedure changed on how to do manual tune up using this RES connector? I really do not want to go to dealer to be raped for this final step to initialize this remote start module, it was supposed to be so simple, why it does not work?
Old 09-28-14, 08:13 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I'm not mistaken don't you need techstream(dealer) to complete the install??
Old 09-29-14, 01:33 PM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greeknasty
If I'm not mistaken don't you need techstream(dealer) to complete the install??
no, there is a manual process for that as well, if you look into sewell posted instructions.

I cannot believe no one actually tried to do that. does anybody know the answer or tried it on 2013/4 cars? I am following the procedure but cars does not seem to react.
Old 09-29-14, 03:40 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hm didnt know that. sorry i couldnt help a while back i was looking to do it msyelf and thought only can be done at dealer. if you find a solution please keep this thread updated!
Old 09-30-14, 04:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Unfortunately RES is not one of the more popular accessories on the RX. Mine was installed in port. If it doesn't work, you might need to take it to the dealer. Connecting it to techstream is the next step if it fails. When I had the ECU changed earlier this year, the tech took less than an hour. You can try calling them and see what they say. Good luck.
Old 10-04-14, 11:46 AM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Unfortunately RES is not one of the more popular accessories on the RX. Mine was installed in port. If it doesn't work, you might need to take it to the dealer. Connecting it to techstream is the next step if it fails. When I had the ECU changed earlier this year, the tech took less than an hour. You can try calling them and see what they say. Good luck.
I went to mechanic today, used techstrem, nothing could be done. it does not get initialized no matter what you do and only generates error codes.

I will request return to sewell. it was an absolute waste of time. I am very annoyed at this point.
Old 10-04-14, 07:44 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I went to mechanic today, used techstrem, nothing could be done. it does not get initialized no matter what you do and only generates error codes.

I will request return to sewell. it was an absolute waste of time. I am very annoyed at this point.
You can try to exchange - may be the module is defective...
Old 10-05-14, 07:26 AM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by m1964
You can try to exchange - may be the module is defective...
no idea. I suspect they do not know what module is supposed to be used with 2014 cars - it is the only logical explanation I can come up with as it is as simple plug and play operation as it can possibly be - harness has only 1 connector and there is only one place where it should go into.

other instructions I found say - after you plug it in and connect 2 parts of 1 RES diag connector together - you turn on ignition by pressing start button 2 times, wait for more than 3 sec, then step on brakes - car should flash hazard lights in response. nothing like that happens and nothing like anything explained in the instruction happens.

module is visible in the techstream but does not seem to speak properly. go figure.

here is a picture of the module and part number - it does not match anything I can google up for sewell instructions and part numbers listed in there.
sewell also was not able to say anything definitive as of what to do and why it is not doing what it is expected to be doing. total PITA situation.
go figure.
Attached Thumbnails Remote starter installed but cannot initialize - HELP!-img_0543.jpg  
Old 10-05-14, 08:03 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

utkinpol, the ECU was changed in my 450h because it was defective. Remote start wouldn't work in temps under 10 degrees. Turns out it affected RES installed in certain 2010s. Sometimes it happens.
Old 10-06-14, 08:56 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Utkinpol,

I came across this product for sending Canbus commands and now I'm curious if it can completely replace the OEM RS and optionally work with an aftermarket system:
http://www.flashlogic.com/product/product/product_id/51

I'm not sure if the door handle on the smart key will be operational once the vehicle is started.
Old 10-08-14, 10:18 PM
dug320
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed mine and after a few issues it works.

The diagnostic wire is a bit confusing. There are two wires (blue and white) going into a male and female plugs. The plugs are wrapped in black electrical tape and stuffed into a pocket within electrical tape.

Once you plug in the diagnostic you have ten minutes.

1 Open the hood.
2. Plug in the computer to the car.
3. Start the TechStream software.
4. Press the start/stop button. The cycle is press the start, press it again, press it again. Do this cycle 5 times and you will be greeted with the hazards flashing once.
5. Start the car.
6. Follow the Sewell's Instructions for TechStream.
7. Close the hood. If successful you will get a flash of the hazards three times.
My mistake was to not open the hood.

If you make a mistake just unplug the diagnostic connection and then re-connect.

PM if you need help with the TechStream
Old 10-13-14, 09:47 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
no idea. I suspect they do not know what module is supposed to be used with 2014 cars - it is the only logical explanation I can come up with as it is as simple plug and play operation as it can possibly be - harness has only 1 connector and there is only one place where it should go into.

other instructions I found say - after you plug it in and connect 2 parts of 1 RES diag connector together - you turn on ignition by pressing start button 2 times, wait for more than 3 sec, then step on brakes - car should flash hazard lights in response. nothing like that happens and nothing like anything explained in the instruction happens.

module is visible in the techstream but does not seem to speak properly. go figure.

here is a picture of the module and part number - it does not match anything I can google up for sewell instructions and part numbers listed in there.
sewell also was not able to say anything definitive as of what to do and why it is not doing what it is expected to be doing. total PITA situation.
go figure.
the instructions say not to use "techstream lite" whatever that is. Do you know if the tech used "full" or "lite" version of the SW?
Old 10-14-14, 10:34 AM
dug320
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM me and I can direct you to a link with the standard version.

The only way I can tell which version of techstream you have is to look at the buttons on the left side of the screen. The lite version seems to have only 3 or 4 buttons the standard has 7.
Old 09-25-15, 03:52 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dug320
I just installed mine and after a few issues it works.

The diagnostic wire is a bit confusing. There are two wires (blue and white) going into a male and female plugs. The plugs are wrapped in black electrical tape and stuffed into a pocket within electrical tape.

Once you plug in the diagnostic you have ten minutes.

1 Open the hood.
2. Plug in the computer to the car.
3. Start the TechStream software.
4. Press the start/stop button. The cycle is press the start, press it again, press it again. Do this cycle 5 times and you will be greeted with the hazards flashing once.
5. Start the car.
6. Follow the Sewell's Instructions for TechStream.
7. Close the hood. If successful you will get a flash of the hazards three times.
My mistake was to not open the hood.

If you make a mistake just unplug the diagnostic connection and then re-connect.

PM if you need help with the TechStream
Three flashes means a failure...two flashes means success. I just installed yesterday so I know, and the procedure is a little more involved then you spelled out. Also, some of your steps are out of order. Follow the instructions provided by Lexus in exact order and you will have no troubles.
Old 12-24-15, 06:54 PM
Eagle1811
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have the soft copy of the install instructions for the RES? I am attempting an install on a 2010 Lexus 250h using REMOTE E/G STARTER ECU PT398-0T090

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Remote starter installed but cannot initialize - HELP!