RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Backup Camera Guidelines

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-14, 07:22 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JG45
Is it feasible to replace an existing RX350 backup camera with a better one that comes with a different Lexus model? If so, is it likely that the new camera would work with the existing electronics and screen? I don't care about the lines, but my eyes would appreciate a better image.
As far as I know, cameras have the same analog output, so should not be a problem, as long as you can physically fit one in. I would say, test it before you install it.
Old 09-30-14, 08:49 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it feasible to replace an existing RX350 backup camera with a better one that comes with a different Lexus model? If so, is it likely that the new camera would work with the existing electronics and screen? I don't care about the lines, but my eyes would appreciate a better image.
Better image to do what exactly? What do you need to see in addition to what's currently there?
Old 09-30-14, 12:43 PM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup camera

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Better image to do what exactly? What do you need to see in addition to what's currently there?
A brighter image, in particular. Perhaps it's just my eyes, but the video feed from the backup camera seems washed out. It's difficult for me to see details on sunny days. And, yes, I've tried turning up the brightness and I've played with the contrast. I've increased these as far as they will reasonably go.
Old 10-01-14, 05:44 AM
franman69
Driver School Candidate

Yep, the RX backup cam kinda sucks. I wish it had the lines to help judge distance, but it is what it is. It really doesn't help me "backup" or park at all. As other's have mentioned I only use to to confirm there are no small pets or people behind me as I reach the end of my driveway... ones I wouldn't see by checking mirrors and looking over my shoulder.I have found that the warning beeps allow me to get closer to cars behind me when I'm backing out in a parking lot (for example) than I would without them. Overall, the system does it's job. The video isn't pretty and it would be better with the lines IMO.
Old 10-01-14, 06:00 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A brighter image, in particular. Perhaps it's just my eyes, but the video feed from the backup camera seems washed out. It's difficult for me to see details on sunny days. And, yes, I've tried turning up the brightness and I've played with the contrast. I've increased these as far as they will reasonably go.
It is washed out and it doesn't make any sense that Lexus uses this horrible camera for the RX when Toyota Venza, Highlander, etc. has a good clear image as does a lot of the Lexus line including my 2014 GX.
Old 10-01-14, 10:24 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandy14
It is washed out and it doesn't make any sense that Lexus uses this horrible camera for the RX when Toyota Venza, Highlander, etc. has a good clear image as does a lot of the Lexus line including my 2014 GX.
It might be that you have some kind of road film on your lens because mine is perfectly clear.

Last edited by VVRX; 10-01-14 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-01-14, 10:36 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by VVRX
It might be that you have some kind of road film on your lens because mine is perfectly clear.
Excellent tip. Never thought of that. I get pocket lint on my iPhone lens. Causes foggy pictures.
Old 11-16-14, 01:36 PM
krismorr8
Driver School Candidate

I passed on a step-up 350 with a backup camera for the base model with just the beeping to let me know how close I am getting to something when reversing - have to say i'm very pleased with how well the beeping works, so far so good!
Old 12-13-14, 08:06 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Terrible Backup Camera

I just got a 2015 ES and it has a very good camera with guidelines. I also have a 2013 RX and I would like to replace that camera with one similar to the ES. Guess I didn't realize how bad my RX camera was till I got the new car.
Has anyone ever replaced a backup camera?
Old 12-13-14, 08:07 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
I know what you are saying about the picture quality. For 50K, you'd expect high resolution, at least. Many have noticed this. The back-up camera is just to check for tricycles or not-so visible children behind the car before backing. It's not for cross traffic or meant to be photographic quality. BTW, is the picture quality superior in a comparable car?
That's what I mean. The picture is much clearer in the ES as opposed to the RX. The lines are not really needed but nice to have. It's the picture quality that's a problem.
I get what everyone is saying about the camera just being needed for small children, pets and such, but isn't that what they are for on all cars? Every other camera I've seen ( on all makes & models)'has a clearer picture than my RX, even a Rav 4 has a better camera.
Old 12-13-14, 08:55 PM
gianttama
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know if it works with other cameras. Let me know of you decide to give it a try.
Old 12-24-14, 02:25 PM
Budhah
Driver

Originally Posted by raylor4
I've been thinking about putting pinstripes on my mirror to mimic backup guidelines. This has been a tongue-in-cheek joke.
I did just that on my 2013 GMC pick-up.. The one i traded for the lexus... Worked great... Too much other info on the screen of the Lexus to make it desirable. Can you imaging trying the GPS with those like on the screen,, Of course you could always put a folding flap of clear plastic to hole the lines.
Old 12-24-14, 02:47 PM
Budhah
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Same here in Washington. Parallel parking is a required part of the driving test.

I actually don't use the guidelines when parallel parking, as I don't find them useful in that application. Where I find them useful is in backing in to a normal spot. This is hardly challenging without the lines, but I do find that they help to get centered and straight, quicker and easier than without the lines. So I do agree that they are not necessary, I do, however, find them to be a nice and useful added feature.
Backing into parking places are so much easier with the Camera, Pulling out of the parking place is magnitudes better than trying to back out with people in parking lots, and cars not giving you room to maneuver. My Long bed extended cab GMC is much easier in reverse parking than forward, and backing out of places...
Old 12-24-14, 06:43 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

If anyone would like a replacement camera, check the Pay It Forward thread.
Ray A.
Old 06-14-15, 07:39 AM
Sunwatcher
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I am a recent owner of an used 2011 RX350 w/ Navi & BU camera. I was disappointed when I didn't find the guidelines in the screen. Now I feel much better knowing that this seeming deficiency applies also to the later and new models.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Guidelines