RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Backup Camera Guidelines

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 07:30 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The RX does not have the backup camera grid lines.
Old 09-22-14, 11:31 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I didn't notice this until I saw this post What I find more noticeable is the dull/dead looking video quality. Why? This car is not that cheap. How much more to put a better quality camera in there?
Old 09-22-14, 12:25 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I didn't notice this until I saw this post What I find more noticeable is the dull/dead looking video quality. Why? This car is not that cheap. How much more to put a better quality camera in there?
I know what you are saying about the picture quality. For 50K, you'd expect high resolution, at least. Many have noticed this. The back-up camera is just to check for tricycles or not-so visible children behind the car before backing. It's not for cross traffic or meant to be photographic quality. BTW, is the picture quality superior in a comparable car?
Old 09-22-14, 12:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raylor4
I know what you are saying about the picture quality. For 50K, you'd expect high resolution, at least. Many have noticed this. The back-up camera is just to check for tricycles or not-so visible children behind the car before backing. It's not for cross traffic or meant to be photographic quality. BTW, is the picture quality superior in a comparable car?
I can't necessarily speak to "comparable" vehicles, but I can to similar price points. The backup camera in my IS is many times, brighter, clearer, and with better color, than the camera in my RX (plus it has the grid lines). I'll see if I can get a couple pictures that demonstrate the difference.

The camera in my RX does what it needs to do, just not as well as the one in my IS. I write it down to a more recently designed system in my IS.
Old 09-22-14, 03:11 PM
jtmarine73
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Errr

Originally Posted by JDR76
The RX does not have the backup camera grid lines.
Well that's disappointing. This is my fiance's car so I didn't really pay attention. But every car that we test drove in this price point had the lines and a clear camera. The ES that they gave us as a loaner had them as well.... heck my silverado has them with a crystal clear camera and the lines move with the steering wheel. Hopefully Lexus will fix this massive oversight with a software upgrade.
Old 09-22-14, 04:07 PM
1111GS

Totally agree with you. I find it disappointing as well. Not just the camera, but also the engine noise at acceleration from a stop and the windshield wipers. We came from an 08 RX. These are minor things and we would still get the new RX regardless. But when we're talking about a car in high 40K to low 50K, these should be better.
Old 09-22-14, 07:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I find the RX camera to be adequate for the intended purposes of providing additional vision of the area immediately behind the bumper, ensuring children and obstacles are out of the way. With that said, the newer cameras, as is on my IS, are much, much better. With the addition of the grid lines, the camera becomes a great aid in backing into a parking spot. I don't see the backup lines as crucial, but I do feel that they are beneficial. Video quality is much improved as well.

Here are two pictures I took today, just a minute or two apart, so the lighting conditions are the same. Apologize for the poor quality pics, but the first is the RX video and the second is the IS. You can see the difference. I suspect the RX will get the upgrade to a better camera and display when the 4RX comes out, but not before.
Attached Thumbnails Backup Camera Guidelines-img_3905.jpg   Backup Camera Guidelines-img_3906.jpg  
Old 09-23-14, 08:57 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't feel they need to upgrade at all. It does what it's supposed to do exactly as you stated above. It's there so you don't run over a child, or an object that will scratch your bumper. You want help with parking, then get the parking assist upgrade.

The camera performs exceptionally well for what it is designed to do.

"**Rear View Camera is designed as a driver assist device only and should not be used as a substitute for skilled driving [and/or safe parking practices]. The area into which the vehicle is to be driven must be visually monitored by the driver."
Old 09-23-14, 09:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Don't feel they need to upgrade at all. It does what it's supposed to do exactly as you stated above. It's there so you don't run over a child, or an object that will scratch your bumper. You want help with parking, then get the parking assist upgrade.

The camera performs exceptionally well for what it is designed to do.

"**Rear View Camera is designed as a driver assist device only and should not be used as a substitute for skilled driving [and/or safe parking practices]. The area into which the vehicle is to be driven must be visually monitored by the driver."
While I agree with your statement (intended function of the camera), I do not agree about the parking sensors. They provide no help aligning with the lines while backing into a parking spot.

Let me be clear, the RX camera is not an issue for me, but with that said, I do find the new ones are better.
Old 09-23-14, 09:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

I live in NYC so learning to parallel park here is akin to breathing. So maybe my opinion needs to be put into context.

Here you cannot pass your driving test without parallel parking by looking over your shoulder. I'd turn them off if I did have them. But I only look at the camera to see if anything is back there anyway, then I look our the rear window to park. I'll look back at the camera if I'm squeezing into a space (I have bumper bars so no need for the "I would never squeeze my Lexus into a space replies" lol) so I don't damage another vehicle.

Parallel parking is a driving skill, I'm all in favor of people learning this skill.
Old 09-23-14, 09:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Same here in Washington. Parallel parking is a required part of the driving test.

I actually don't use the guidelines when parallel parking, as I don't find them useful in that application. Where I find them useful is in backing in to a normal spot. This is hardly challenging without the lines, but I do find that they help to get centered and straight, quicker and easier than without the lines. So I do agree that they are not necessary, I do, however, find them to be a nice and useful added feature.
Old 09-23-14, 11:11 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Same here in Washington. Parallel parking is a required part of the driving test.

I actually don't use the guidelines when parallel parking, as I don't find them useful in that application. Where I find them useful is in backing in to a normal spot. This is hardly challenging without the lines, but I do find that they help to get centered and straight, quicker and easier than without the lines. So I do agree that they are not necessary, I do, however, find them to be a nice and useful added feature.

Agreed, that's one place I think they may serve a useful purpose.
Old 09-23-14, 11:24 AM
1111GS

I find the RX camera to be adequate for the intended purposes of providing additional vision of the area immediately behind the bumper, ensuring children and obstacles are out of the way. With that said, the newer cameras, as is on my IS, are much, much better. With the addition of the grid lines, the camera becomes a great aid in backing into a parking spot. I don't see the backup lines as crucial, but I do feel that they are beneficial. Video quality is much improved as well.
I don't really use the grid but do find the horizontal lines very useful in my case. When I go into the garage, I want to leave as much room in the front as possible. These lines help me know exactly where I can stop backing to still not hit the garage door when it closes.

Last edited by 1111GS; 09-23-14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 11:48 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I don't really use the grid but do find the horizontal lines very useful in my case. When I go into the garage, I want to leave as much room in the front as possible. These lines help me know exactly where I can stop backing to still not hit the garage door when it closes.
You can hang a tennis ball from the ceiling in the garage and it will do the exact same function.
Old 09-29-14, 04:24 PM
JG45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera

Is it feasible to replace an existing RX350 backup camera with a better one that comes with a different Lexus model? If so, is it likely that the new camera would work with the existing electronics and screen? I don't care about the lines, but my eyes would appreciate a better image.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Guidelines