RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 04:40 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like the manual traction lock system is acting up. You should have seen torque applied to all 4 corners, up to about 20 kph. Believe a solenoid is energized by activating the console mounted lock button. Rarely used, it could have seized up.
My F150 uses a solenoid to engage the front differential. It failed over the Summer. Found out just after I buried it in a trench on a wet job-site.
Old 09-19-14, 05:48 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I've driven several RXs over the last few years, and the AWD system has never been an issue in the snow. Even my IS does pretty well. The truth is, accelerating is rarely an issue (assuming you stay on the road) under normal circumstances. Stopping or turning is more often the issue that causes difficulties, and tires are usually the culprit in those cases.

Keep good All Season or Winter tires on the car, and it will be a great car for you. No matter what the weather throws at you.
Old 09-19-14, 07:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Some quick google searches show that it is available:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ted_Management
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...ive+models.htm

However Edmunds says this is added as part of the sport package:
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rx-350/...iew-pod-anchor

Can anyone confirm how to identify VDIM? Would VDIM even allow a true 4x4-like mode? Or power to each wheel independently?

Thanks,
Eric
According to Lexus (for 2014 at least) the only RX350 with VDIM is the F Sport.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...specs.download

But as you noted in another post, VDIM will only help you avoid an incident. I do not believe it would have helped you in your particular situation.
Old 09-19-14, 08:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks but it turns out VDIM would not have helped out in my situation. After reading the forums some more, apparently VDIM acts like a nanny system that helps you out BEFORE you lose control by utilizing existing control systems. This is different than non-VDIM which engages VSC and the other systems AFTER you lose control.
Eric, I can't say how many times VDIM may have kicked in over the past four years. But I know one time it kept me from losing control on an icy road going downhill. I was trying to stop for a turn. Nothing wrong with this 'nanny' in my book. Turning off TRAC when stuck in snow is supposed to prevent the tires from spinning. I haven't tried it. But I keep it in mind in case it does.
Old 09-19-14, 10:23 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Sounds like the manual traction lock system is acting up. You should have seen torque applied to all 4 corners, up to about 20 kph. Believe a solenoid is energized by activating the console mounted lock button. Rarely used, it could have seized up.
My F150 uses a solenoid to engage the front differential. It failed over the Summer. Found out just after I buried it in a trench on a wet job-site.
My understanding is that the lock button only locks the center differential. 3RX lacks a LSD, except with the possibility of a logical implementation using brakes if you have VDIM. Therefore it is unlikely that torque would have been applied to 4 corners.

I think we are fooling ourselves when we think of the RX as an offroad capable vehicle. I would like to believe it as well, but my past experience in the snow proved me very wrong.

-Eric
Old 09-19-14, 09:43 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

According to the manual, after you engage the lock all-wheel-drive mode, it'll disengage as soon as you tap the brakes. To me it would be very difficult to rock your car out of a snowdrift because you always tap your brakes in between each try, or at least I do. Therefore you would have to hit that stupid button after each attempt to keep the lock all-wheel-drive mode engaged. As for the limited slip differential or lack thereof, the RX has traction control as the alternative.
Old 09-25-14, 03:02 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks but it turns out VDIM would not have helped out in my situation. After reading the forums some more, apparently VDIM acts like a nanny system that helps you out BEFORE you lose control by utilizing existing control systems. This is different than non-VDIM which engages VSC and the other systems AFTER you lose control.

Doing some research, it looks like what I really needed was a locking differential or a limited slip differential (LSD). In Toyota world, this is called TRAC and is offered on their more off-road capable vehicles. This is different from our traction control because RXs don't have locking or limited slip differential.

This is a very educational read:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...nd-i-hope.html

I would be surprised if Lexus introduced it for the 4RX but one can always hope. Apparently they can easily enable LSD by applying the brakes to a single tire.

EDIT: Looks like the 2RX had limited slip. Bring it back Lexus!

Experts please feel free to jump in and correct me! I would really like to hear from vlad_a!
Ah, AWD - my favorite topic.

The RX features what I would call a consumer-grade AWD. In the world of cameras, this would the the point-and-shoot type. It will take decent pictures to post on facebook, but not something you would print in a magazine.

What we have here is an FWD vehicle with a part-time AWD system that is controlled electronically. Unlike a mechanical unit, it does not have to wait for the wheels to slip before engaging. So, if you're starting from a standstill, it will lock center differential and will get the vehicle moving. It is also smart enough to tighten the center diff while turning aggressively to mask FWD tendencies of understeering (plowing through).
Should you take your RX350 off-roading, you will soon find yourself stuck. This would be the pro-grade and it is simply not built for it. Spend long enough spinning the wheels and the center diff will overheat and will completely disengage rear wheels, effectively turning AWD into FWD. 450h does not have a center diff, so it has that going for it, albeit the rear motor is less powerful than a direct mechanical connection in case of RX350.

Now, the good news is that most of the weight in the RX resides over primary driving wheels. With the high clearance it has and with proper tires (snow), it will be unstoppable in the snow.
However, once the speed increases, it simply reverts to FWD. That's a pretty big disappointment.

At the end of the day, I decided to get the best AWD vehicle out there - Subaru WRX STI.
With 4 differentials (double center), it is a beast. That's my choice for the fast line driving during snowstorms.
I can't wait to try it out. Should be here right before the snow season.
Old 09-26-14, 10:04 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for chiming in. The RX450h has one rear motor right? Therefore there is no LSD for the rear?

And two forward motors? Therefore the RX450h should have LSD on the front wheels at least?

-Eric
Old 09-26-14, 10:55 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for chiming in. The RX450h has one rear motor right? Therefore there is no LSD for the rear?

And two forward motors? Therefore the RX450h should have LSD on the front wheels at least?

-Eric
Hi Eric,

While there indeed is a single motor in the rear, the front 2 electric motors are not dedicated to each driving wheel. They actually control the gasoline engine, which is wedged-in between the two through a planetary gearset:
http://eahart.com/prius/psd/
Therefore the 450h does not have a transmission in a traditional sense. Although PSD qualifies as a CVT, it really isn't.

So, this leaves us with 2 open differentials, front and back. No center diff is necessary.

VDIM can act as a logical LSD, which it may to an extent. I would question its effectiveness, as the RX is a torque-steer pig when it comes to flooring it.

An old trick for RWD vehicles with open diff is to partially apply the parking brake to get the vehicle unstuck on slippery surfaces. I have done this to my IS300, as the Torsen LSD reverts to open diff if one wheel is spinning freely.

I am not sure if it is even possible to disable VDIM and VSC in the RX. There is a Trac OFF button that temporary disables traction control under 25MPH. If one is to hold this button while stopped, it will turn off the traction control completely until the next engine restart.
I found one caveat to this in a loaner IS250AWD - the cruise control stops working in this mode. I have not tried it in the RX. That was an unpleasant find because I spend 90% time driving my IS300 with traction control off and it has no VSC. Of course, it is a moot point for the RX - it has a much different purpose.
Old 09-26-14, 11:51 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We were in Texas when we purchased the RX350 without awd. Then we moved to a place that have snow sometime. Got to buy a AWD... Subaru Outback.
Old 09-27-14, 02:56 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL My buddy just bought a Outback. He made fun of me for spending the extra for the Lexus. We swapped cars for a day, it took me 3 days to hunt him down and give him back his car..LOL Now the outback might just be a better off roader but even he admits that he might go in the woods once every 5 years.
Old 09-27-14, 03:39 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hovbuild
LOL My buddy just bought a Outback. He made fun of me for spending the extra for the Lexus. We swapped cars for a day, it took me 3 days to hunt him down and give him back his car..LOL Now the outback might just be a better off roader but even he admits that he might go in the woods once every 5 years.
Snow is something your grandmother might have seen where I stay (not that South Africa don't get snow, but I'm in the northern parts where the platinum is mined for your emission cats), so I cannot comment on the RX's abilities in snow. However, forget about an RX as an off-roader. It is at best a vehicle which can handle a poorly maintained paved road better than an ordinary sedan.
Old 09-27-14, 06:38 AM
MRJJP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 AWD which I believe is the same system as the 2014/2015.

I drove on 12 inches of snow once and my car got stuck quickly, even with tire cables on the front. One of the front wheels was spinning and one of the back wheels was spinning. Other two tires were on the ground but no power went to them even in AWD lock mode.

I was disappointed. This car is not made for serious snow driving.

I wonder if the 450h would have performed better.
Sounds like a new set of tires is in order.
I always start out in 2nd gear in snow conditions........ The fist gear is often too much torque for snow conditions.
Old 09-27-14, 10:00 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

When snow conditions get REALLY bad on I-80 over the Sierras in California, CalTrans insists on chains on all four wheels on four-wheel drive vehicles. Now I know why, thanks to this forum. Shifting drive wheels. Typically, four wheel drive with no chains and all-weather tires will get you over the pass at 30 MPH in snow. For two-wheel drive cars, chains are required on the two drive wheels only.
Old 09-29-14, 10:05 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by MRJJP
Sounds like a new set of tires is in order.
I always start out in 2nd gear in snow conditions........ The fist gear is often too much torque for snow conditions.
Thanks, but i think a second set of tire cables is probably more likely to help in those conditions.

I don't think we are able to start in second gear. The snow mode did do a good job of retarding the throttle however.

Quick Reply: the snow...