RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 10:08 AM
cappa1983
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the snow...

Hi everyone, I just purchased an rx 350 and will pick up the car tomorrow.

I'm wondering for anyone that's bought the 2014 or 2015 350 AWD, how the car performs in inclimate weather.

I live the the north east so i will most assuredly get to test it out later on this year, but wanted to read some first-hand experiences.

thanks again.
Old 09-17-14, 11:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

im with you here cappa. just bought my 2015 back in may. im sure they will do just fine in snow
Old 09-17-14, 11:30 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have only had mine in the snow once. It was only about 4 inches and rather slushy, so it isn't the best data point, but nonetheless, it handled well. I haven't really put it to the test like I did with my Tacoma or my 4Runner, but I found it to be perfectly capable in a mild snow event.
Old 09-17-14, 11:56 AM
cappa1983
Driver School Candidate

Thanks JDR76.

If this winter is anything like the last one, I'll get plenty of opportunities to test the car's ability.
Old 09-17-14, 12:22 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I have a 2010 AWD which I believe is the same system as the 2014/2015.

I drove on 12 inches of snow once and my car got stuck quickly, even with tire cables on the front. One of the front wheels was spinning and one of the back wheels was spinning. Other two tires were on the ground but no power went to them even in AWD lock mode.

I was disappointed. This car is not made for serious snow driving.

I wonder if the 450h would have performed better.
Old 09-17-14, 12:35 PM
cappa1983
Driver School Candidate

wow --- I'm honestly surprised, and disappointed to hear that too.

Did you have the all-season tires on?

I know it's a heavy car, and I would have thought that the AWD lock mode and ECT SNOW mode would help.

I'm not looking for landrover type handling here, but a foot of snow for a car with that high clearance and full time AWD should be able to get you through it...i'd hope.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-17-14, 12:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The RX has 7.3 inches of ground clearance. 12 inches of snow will be very difficult for a vehicle such as the RX.
Old 09-17-14, 12:49 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It shouldn't be a problem normally. My RXh is just front wheel drive and does very well in the deep stuff. In 12" of snow your wheels are usually only 2-4" deep and the rest is compacted under the wheels. I was even able to start and continue up a pretty decent incline keeping it slow and steady without abrupt braking/steering/ or acceleration actions.
Originally Posted by JDR76
The RX has 7.3 inches of ground clearance. 12 inches of snow will be very difficult for a vehicle such as the RX.
Old 09-17-14, 01:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The 450h is fine in the snow. I've been through enough winters, both good and bad. My commute is relatively short but hilly. It's not unusual to find a road closed due to the conditions. Doesn't stop me from taking another route including unplowed roads. I had to stop for a train once on a steep hill that most people normally turn around on because they can't make it. I couldn't back up this time because someone came up behind me. I hit the brake hard enough to engage hill assist. I didn't slip or slide while waiting for the train to pass or when I stepped on the gas. Now the 450h does have the advantage of VDIM to prevent that. Snow mode is available on both the 350 and 450h. I personally don't use it. Supposedly it helps. Still I haven't been stuck once in any of the RXs over the past 16 years.

cappa1983, you should be fine. Chances are you'll be going around stuck cars rather than getting stuck yourself.
Old 09-17-14, 03:53 PM
cappa1983
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
The 450h is fine in the snow. I've been through enough winters, both good and bad. My commute is relatively short but hilly. It's not unusual to find a road closed due to the conditions. Doesn't stop me from taking another route including unplowed roads. I had to stop for a train once on a steep hill that most people normally turn around on because they can't make it. I couldn't back up this time because someone came up behind me. I hit the brake hard enough to engage hill assist. I didn't slip or slide while waiting for the train to pass or when I stepped on the gas. Now the 450h does have the advantage of VDIM to prevent that. Snow mode is available on both the 350 and 450h. I personally don't use it. Supposedly it helps. Still I haven't been stuck once in any of the RXs over the past 16 years.

cappa1983, you should be fine. Chances are you'll be going around stuck cars rather than getting stuck yourself.
Thanks for the info Kitlz. I'm sure my experience will be great.
Old 09-18-14, 10:55 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It shouldn't be a problem normally. My RXh is just front wheel drive and does very well in the deep stuff. In 12" of snow your wheels are usually only 2-4" deep and the rest is compacted under the wheels. I was even able to start and continue up a pretty decent incline keeping it slow and steady without abrupt braking/steering/ or acceleration actions.
That's what I figured as well. i thought the RX would push the snow out of the way and compact the snow to drive over. Anyway somehow my beast of a 4,400lb SUV was lifted up on top of the snow and the suspension was fully extended.

Even so, two tires were on the ground while the other two just spun. We would have been fine with a better traction control/limited slip system. Very disappointed in the AWD capabilities of the RX.

Thankfully someone came along and pulled us out of the snow. We ended up having to show shoe an extra 3 miles to our destination. Lesson learned - won't be trying that again.

More details:
-All-season tires with 80% tread remaining and
-Security Chain Company Super Z6 Tire Chains on front tires
-RX350 AWD with AWD Lock on
-ECT Snow mode on (all this seemed to do was retard the throttle)
-Road was slightly uphill with less than 5% incline

Last edited by ericsan13; 09-18-14 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-18-14, 12:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

^^^ I though VDIM was only available on the F Sport and the 450h, and not the regular RX350. Did that change at some point?
Old 09-18-14, 02:44 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ I though VDIM was only available on the F Sport and the 450h, and not the regular RX350. Did that change at some point?
Some quick google searches show that it is available:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ted_Management
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...ive+models.htm

However Edmunds says this is added as part of the sport package:
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rx-350/...iew-pod-anchor

Can anyone confirm how to identify VDIM? Would VDIM even allow a true 4x4-like mode? Or power to each wheel independently?

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by ericsan13; 09-18-14 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-18-14, 03:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Eric, I don't know how to identify VDIM. It works with TRAC, VSC, brakes and steering. Supposedly I can turn it off in my 450h (a feature of the sport package). Not sure how but I'd rather not. It's instantaneous to react, much quicker than I could.
Old 09-18-14, 03:38 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz
Eric, I don't know how to identify VDIM. It works with TRAC, VSC, brakes and steering. Supposedly I can turn it off in my 450h (a feature of the sport package). Not sure how but I'd rather not. It's instantaneous to react, much quicker than I could.
Thanks but it turns out VDIM would not have helped out in my situation. After reading the forums some more, apparently VDIM acts like a nanny system that helps you out BEFORE you lose control by utilizing existing control systems. This is different than non-VDIM which engages VSC and the other systems AFTER you lose control.

Doing some research, it looks like what I really needed was a locking differential or a limited slip differential (LSD). In Toyota world, this is called TRAC and is offered on their more off-road capable vehicles. This is different from our traction control because RXs don't have locking or limited slip differential.

This is a very educational read:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...nd-i-hope.html

I would be surprised if Lexus introduced it for the 4RX but one can always hope. Apparently they can easily enable LSD by applying the brakes to a single tire.

EDIT: Looks like the 2RX had limited slip. Bring it back Lexus!

Experts please feel free to jump in and correct me! I would really like to hear from vlad_a!

Last edited by ericsan13; 09-18-14 at 03:56 PM. Reason: see EDIT

Quick Reply: the snow...