RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 03:22 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Run across another problem. They recognise the part number for the drivers side wiper refill. However, they dont recognise the passenger side refill. They said something along the lines of "cant see why you couldn't just cut the driver refill to size".
Old 09-12-14, 08:03 AM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Trico is the OEM supplier and I think Teflon Shield are the OEM blade.
http://www.tricoproducts.com/Drivers/FindYourWiperSize

Refills should not very expensive and you need to get them from a dealer. I have not seen Trico sell blade refills in auto parts stores.
I think any Toyota blade the same size would have the same refill. Do some searching on the Trico site linked above to figure this out. On refills the locking side has a small notch that fits into a tab on the blade. There are metal spring strips on each side that must be removed from the old blade and inserted into the new one. It is not difficult, they almost fall out once removed from the metal part. You just grab the insert and pull. Notice on your old one where the notch is located.

New complete blades come with instructions for installation. You usually press down on a tab on the top or bottom to release the blade assembly. Then slide it out of the J shaped hook on the arm. Slide the new on in and it should just click in to place and be locked.
If Trico Teflon Shield is OEM, you can get them at Amazon.
Old 09-12-14, 08:56 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

Good Selection of Bosch blades on Amazon UK Not much Trico
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...20rx350%202011
Old 09-12-14, 09:25 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Update - I contacted Lexus UK directly. They gave me part number 8521453080 for the passenger side wiper refill.

They show up as IS driver side, however Lexus UK personally guaranteed that they will fit as the refills have multiple applications on different models.

Many thanks guys!
Old 09-12-14, 11:05 AM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Good Selection of Bosch blades on Amazon UK Not much Trico
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...20rx350%202011
TRICO Fit HF500 Wiper Blade: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike TRICO Fit HF500 Wiper Blade: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

TRICO Fit HF650 Wiper Blade, Set of 1: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike TRICO Fit HF650 Wiper Blade, Set of 1: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Trico, UK Amazon
Old 09-12-14, 11:22 AM
Clutchless

Great find! I trust they are the correct size as I was not about to do a metric to inch conversion.
Old 09-12-14, 07:40 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1 inch = 2.54 cm = 25.4 mm. It's that easy. Just divide mm by 25.4 or cm by 2.54 to get inches.
Old 03-15-16, 09:55 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do Lexus windshields like only Lexus wipers?

I'm sure that sounds like a stupid question, but I've had my Lexus 2 years and 2 weeks. Since I've had it something about the wipers (I assume) make a smear on the windshield that is difficult to see through in the rain after dark (as if I don't already have enough issues with that). I have put new wipers (Bosch) on it more than once and that makes no difference. I wish I could explain the smearing......kind of looks as if maybe there's wax or something on the windshield? I've cleaned them with Windex and treated with RainX and still no difference. The only thing I haven't done is buy Lexus wipers. Could that possibly fix the problem? I paid $40 for the last new wipers I bought so I hate to guess what Lexus charges for theirs which is why I'm seeking advice here first.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-16, 10:20 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I have Bosch Icon wipers on my 2011 RX and have no smearing issues.

So it is not a Lexus wide issue with aftermarket wiper blades that is affecting your RX.

I never use Rain X, just clean my windshield and use good wiper blades.

FYI, I never use Windex on my windshield since it usually leaves a residue.

I use only Invisible glass cleaner on my windshields, which leaves no residue.
http://www.invisibleglass.com/Produc...motive/aerosol

I use these Bosch wiper blades.

Name:  03151613151_zpsdsorn8lt.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  249.1 KB
Old 03-15-16, 10:41 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I had this problem big time and eventually resorted to using Invisible Glass and newspaper to clean my windshield. Sounds stupid but the newspaper took all the residue off the windshield. Finish up with a dry newspaper section and rub hard until you see no more smearing at all light angles. I did try the surgical lint free towels but the newspaper worked much better. This was driving me crazy for a few weeks of trying Windex, Rain-X, Meguiars then Invisible glass. After a few weeks of using the newspaper (inside and out) all of the smeary residual was gone and a quick clean with the lint free towels works great until the inside or outside picks up more residue from wax, interior materials etc. When the car/windshield is new the smeary can take a few cleaning cycles and a bit of time to get rid of and may come back more quickly as all the new materials cure and age.
Old 03-15-16, 12:01 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

i only use the toyota wiper blade refills. they last.
Old 03-15-16, 12:50 PM
Clutchless

Lexus uses Trico wipers as OEM equipment. I have a 2010 and it was the Teflon Shield beam model with the teflon coating on the blade. Not sure of the current name. The Trico aftermarket ones look almost exactly like the Lexus blade assemblies.

Amazon.com: Trico 20-220 Teflon Shield Premium Wiper Blade, 22" (Pack of 1): Automotive Amazon.com: Trico 20-220 Teflon Shield Premium Wiper Blade, 22" (Pack of 1): Automotive

Try some Glass Scrub http://www.detailedimage.com/Glass-S...-P52/10-oz-S1/

It is made by the same guy who invented RainX. His newer company Glass Science has his second generation stuff which he developed and started selling after selling RainX and the no compete clause expired. Rain Clear is his successor to RainX.

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-15-16 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 10:52 AM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same issue a few years back when my original blades were done. I went thru about 2 or 3 pairs before realizing all of them would give the same result. Used to use Rain X as well, but once i switched to Invisible Glass cleaner no more issues. For a moment i thought i was tripping, guys at autozone were already sick of me lol
Old 03-17-16, 06:04 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to my Toyota dealer where i get oil changes, etc. I took what he recommended that he said people really liked. BEST wipers ever! Wish I had a name. But I am forever grateful to that guy.

Before that, I bought some special "super blades" and they were the noisiest pieces of crap I ever had. Rainmaker or some damn thing like that. SUCKED.

My point... check with your Toyota dealer.
Old 03-17-16, 09:58 PM
GregT
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cleaning

I can't speak to which wiper blades work best for me.....I haven't had the need yet to replace them on my 2015. As for cleaning the windshield, there are several excellent (IMHO) auto detailing forums/boards that can be helpful. And, BTW, they pretty much put down newspaper, and favor microfiber almost exclusively with whatever cleaner.

Quick Reply: Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)