RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)

Old 07-30-14, 08:22 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can replace your blades to any brand you want. I'm lazy and just replaced mine with Michelins from Walmart which are not too shabby. By the time I run to the dealer and sit in traffic is just not worth the time and frustrations.
Old 08-19-14, 08:55 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all your input and help. I just replaced my original wipers with Anco 31's, which seem to work very well. Thanks to roy7777 for his photo showing how the release clip works......which I have never seen anywhere else! Replacing wipers should be a normal, and simple task for any car owner. My point here has been why Lexus has no information on this task or their factory installed wipers......anywhere?
Old 08-19-14, 11:38 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lighten up a bit. Every store carries the replacement part number for make and model within a book where they sell the replacement blades. And every blade has instructions within on how to replace.

The metal piece (arm) contains a hook upon which the blade attaches. Different blades have different instructions on how to attach to the hook.

This was obviously your first time changing a wiper blade (or insert), now you know how to do it on every car you will ever own.
Old 08-19-14, 01:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by erom43
Thanks for all your input and help. I just replaced my original wipers with Anco 31's, which seem to work very well. Thanks to roy7777 for his photo showing how the release clip works......which I have never seen anywhere else! Replacing wipers should be a normal, and simple task for any car owner. My point here has been why Lexus has no information on this task or their factory installed wipers......anywhere?
If Lexus included instructions on how to change the wipers, it would've added another 14 pages to the manual, LOL! There's only a few different wiper types. Once that's figured out, the rest is easy. You'll have to give us an update on the Ancos after you use them some more.
Old 09-11-14, 03:30 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to change wipers?!

Hi, my driver's side wiper is completely worn out. Strangely, the passengers side wiper is still fine but im planning to change both anyway just to be sure.

My question is, what size refills am I supposed to get? I understand that Lexus dealers here in the UK just swap refills instead of changing the whole blade.

As far as Im aware, the driver's side refill is 26" and the passenger side should be 22" but what width do I need? Standard 6.5mm?

And how easy is the job to do? And is the arm on the RX of the hook type?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by rayaans; 09-11-14 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-11-14, 04:01 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

rayaans, we have a few threads on this topic including these two:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-2013-rx.html

I've changed mine close to 10 times. Five minutes, no problems.
Old 09-11-14, 06:16 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
rayaans, we have a few threads on this topic including these two:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html

I've changed mine close to 10 times. Five minutes, no problems.
Ive just checked those. Problem is, we don't have Toyota Highlander's in the UK so they dont carry the part numbers given. Also, I rang my dealer who said they are £35 not including fitting!

Sewell charges $147 including shipping so that's not an option.

Should I just get some random wiper refills? Also if I were to get the refills, how would I know which side is the locking side?

You can tell ive never done this before, traditionally Ive just changed the whole blade, Denso make some hybrid blades which look exactly the same but as expected, very expensive!

Last edited by rayaans; 09-11-14 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-11-14, 08:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I believe the same refills fit the Camry too. Maybe you can contact a dealer using the Toyota part numbers and see if they have them. If not any refill of the same length should probably work. Personally I haven't had luck going with aftermarket in the past but they've improved since the last time I tried installing them. I'll stick with OE anyway. The refills slide out by tugging on the end in a slightly downward direction. Then it's a matter of inserting the metal from the old ones into the new ones and lining it up through the brackets. Just make sure it settles into the indentation on the refill at the end. To me it's much easier than replacing the entire blade.
Old 09-11-14, 08:44 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

Trico is the OEM supplier and I think Teflon Shield are the OEM blade.
http://www.tricoproducts.com/Drivers/FindYourWiperSize

Refills should not very expensive and you need to get them from a dealer. I have not seen Trico sell blade refills in auto parts stores.
I think any Toyota blade the same size would have the same refill. Do some searching on the Trico site linked above to figure this out. On refills the locking side has a small notch that fits into a tab on the blade. There are metal spring strips on each side that must be removed from the old blade and inserted into the new one. It is not difficult, they almost fall out once removed from the metal part. You just grab the insert and pull. Notice on your old one where the notch is located.

New complete blades come with instructions for installation. You usually press down on a tab on the top or bottom to release the blade assembly. Then slide it out of the J shaped hook on the arm. Slide the new on in and it should just click in to place and be locked.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-11-14 at 08:53 AM. Reason: correction
Old 09-11-14, 08:51 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
I believe the same refills fit the Camry too. Maybe you can contact a dealer using the Toyota part numbers and see if they have them. If not any refill of the same length should probably work. Personally I haven't had luck going with aftermarket in the past but they've improved since the last time I tried installing them. I'll stick with OE anyway. The refills slide out by tugging on the end in a slightly downward direction. Then it's a matter of inserting the metal from the old ones into the new ones and lining it up through the brackets. Just make sure it settles into the indentation on the refill at the end. To me it's much easier than replacing the entire blade.
No camry here either Im afraid. Also, I checked my wipers. I have to tug upwards to get it to move as the end on the top of the blade seems to be the locked end? Is that weird?

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Nice! Thats good to know! Thanks! Trico exact fit right?
Old 09-11-14, 08:58 AM
joanraitt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an RX350, a few months ago I bought after market blades. I bought the entire replacement instead of just the refill. BIG mistake. The window was always streaky and they just didn't sit right on the window, very frustrating. I ended up buying entire replacements at the Toyota dealership when my husband bought his Avalon. They actually called Lexus to find out what was comparable. I just bought the back wiper blade replacement/refill at the Lexus dealer, this morning. It was $8. In the US they only replace the rubber blades at the dealer too.
Old 09-11-14, 08:58 AM
Clutchless

I see Sewell is charging $22.20 US for wiper blade inserts. How do you end up with $147. Shipping cannot be that expensive. http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2011/3105.html

I see they are on eBay for $17 US front and rear. These are OEM http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-15-RX350-Front-and-Rear-Windshield-Wiper-Refill-Inserts-NEW-genuine-Lexus-OEM-/171093743950?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2011%7CMake%3ALexus%7CModel%3ARX350&hash=item27d5fb594e&vxp=mtr
You could contact the dealer regarding shipping to the UK. It should not be much, they do not weigh anything.
Old 09-11-14, 08:59 AM
Clutchless

No, not Exact Fit. The OEM blade is the Trico Teflon Shield.

http://www.tricoproducts.com/Drivers...s/TeflonShield
Old 09-11-14, 10:59 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

rayaans, my point is there's likely another vehicle with the same size refill. You might want to bring it into the dealer to make sure. I've purchased a few things for the RXh from Toyota. They're slightly cheaper than Lexus and closer to me. I start by pulling the refill from the 'thicker' side. The bracket would get caught in the indentation on the refill otherwise. Start with the 'thin' side first when running the replacement through the brackets. First time is always the hardest.
Old 09-11-14, 12:51 PM
t2014rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP. See this thread for detailed pix of how to remove wiper blades.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement wiper blades with instructions (merged threads)